Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2023, 08:23 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times

Advertisements

Jack will be coming to live with us this weekend. We currently have two cats, Speck (6) and Pixie (4). I am not too worried about reactions because all kitties are used to other kitties and seem to enjoy the company.

I am worried that Jack likes to pee on things. I've known Jack for his entire life, but he has lived elsewhere for the last 8 years. Unfortunately, he was neglected. He is super thin, and his current owner's house smells like pot and cat pee. I am certain by the way the 8-year-old laminate floors are bubbled up that the peeing has been going on for a long time.

We just bought a house a few weeks ago that is carpeted and will remain carpeted for the next 12-18 months. We have an expensive mattress and couch. My kitties are used to a clean litterbox and being well taken care of. I would like for Jack to live out his remaining years in comfort. What are your suggestions for preventing Jack from turning this house into a giant litter box?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2023, 08:24 PM

And the thread title should be "Taking in a 13 YO Kitty". Damn it that I cannot change the thread title.

Old 10-02-2023, 08:38 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
The first thing that you need to do is take Jack to the vet. A healthy cat doesn’t pee all over the place and illness (like kidney disease) is prevalent in older cats. Tell the vet about your suspicions; a good vet will examine Jack, then order blood work (and maybe a urinalysis).

Also, is Jack up-to-date on vaccinations? He really should be before you bring him into your home. Even if you will be doing the recommended new cat separation and slow introduction to your resident cats, you should never bring a cat into your home until it has been seen by a vet and you are sure that it is up-to-date on rabies (parasite and flea and tick control should also be considered).

Otherwise, thank you for taking in a senior kitty and congratulations on the new addition to your family!

Old 10-03-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
The first thing that you need to do is take Jack to the vet. A healthy cat doesn’t pee all over the place and illness (like kidney disease) is prevalent in older cats. Tell the vet about your suspicions; a good vet will examine Jack, then order blood work (and maybe a urinalysis).

Also, is Jack up-to-date on vaccinations? He really should be before you bring him into your home. Even if you will be doing the recommended new cat separation and slow introduction to your resident cats, you should never bring a cat into your home until it has been seen by a vet and you are sure that it is up-to-date on rabies (parasite and flea and tick control should also be considered).

Otherwise, thank you for taking in a senior kitty and congratulations on the new addition to your family!
The current owner claims that she takes him to the vet annually, that he's up-to-date on vaccinations, and that he is healthy. BS.

He will be isolated upon his arrival and hopefully in the vet first thing Monday for an exam. I suspect kidney disease based on my experience. I am familiar with SQ fluids and had great success with our late Jinx. If kidney disease is a factor at least he will be in good hands.

What really angers me the most is that the suggestion has been made that the current owner might have him put to sleep if we don't take him. She should never be allowed to have a pet again.

Old 10-03-2023, 07:21 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
The current owner claims that she takes him to the vet annually, that he's up-to-date on vaccinations, and that he is healthy. BS.

He will be isolated upon his arrival and hopefully in the vet first thing Monday for an exam. I suspect kidney disease based on my experience. I am familiar with SQ fluids and had great success with our late Jinx. If kidney disease is a factor at least he will be in good hands.

What really angers me the most is that the suggestion has been made that the current owner might have him put to sleep if we don't take him. She should never be allowed to have a pet again.
Ugh… don’t get me started on people not realizing that a pet is not only a commitment but a living, sentient being. I honestly don’t waste my time with such people—you treat the world like trash, then you are trash and not worth my respect. Your castoffs on the other hand …. more treasure for me!

That’s how I ended up with Sylvester. He has FLUTD and someone dumped him (I suspect because of the FLUTD), so now he’s our house panther (as well as my current dog’s best friend). When he showed up, my previous dog had just been diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma and I was in the process of applying to graduate school and moving out-of-state, so it was not the best time for a new addition. But when I voiced my concerns about committing to another pet to the other tenants in the apartment building where I lived, every person said that they would not take care of Sylvester if I didn’t take him. I was floored at the lack of compassion and consideration for another living being (and these were people who had the $$ to care for an animal—some of them already had pets!).

Just be grateful that you are able to save Jack and give him a good place to live out his golden years. He will, of course, repay you in spades with as much unconditional love as he can muster in his remaining years.

Old 10-04-2023, 02:29 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
I agree with everything that's been said so far. If he's been peeing for a while, it may be difficult to break this habit. However, if he has medical issues plus unclean boxes, you may be able to break it quickly.

I'd suggest some extra litter boxes, and maybe use that Cat Attract litter for a while to entice him. Take baby steps in introducing him to the house and see how it goes.

I applaud you for helping this kitty. It sounds like his owner is not very good.

Old 10-05-2023, 07:29 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Thank you for taking him in. Can you please give him his box and space for a couple of days?

Old 10-05-2023, 08:50 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
They recommend one litter box per cat plus an extra. I have a lot of room and I would have trouble finding good spots for that many litter boxes!

Have the vet check for any obvious problems. It's possible, depending on where the previous owner put the litter box that he didn't always have access to it. He might not have liked the litter if it was scented. Some cats don't like those popular boxes with the covers on them. It may not have been cleaned frequently enough. I'd maybe keep him in a bathroom or utility room with his own litterbox for a few days.

Does Jack like other cats?

Old 10-05-2023, 09:24 PM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
I finally took my 14 yr old male to the vet for eating like a pig, peeing outside the box, but in the same room and only 8 lbs. H e is hyperthyroid. Still waiting for meds, hopefully will slow down thyroid and eating and maybe he will pee in the box. It's so weird. It's a vinyl floor, I put a towel down, pee pads don't work for him and use Odoban for cleaning the laundry room.

Oh not diabetic, nor kidney disease. Just hyperthyroidism

Good luck..

Last edited by tasmtairy; 10-05-2023 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: .

Old 10-06-2023, 11:11 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I finally took my 14 yr old male to the vet for eating like a pig, peeing outside the box, but in the same room and only 8 lbs. H e is hyperthyroid. Still waiting for meds, hopefully will slow down thyroid and eating and maybe he will pee in the box. It's so weird. It's a vinyl floor, I put a towel down, pee pads don't work for him and use Odoban for cleaning the laundry room.

Oh not diabetic, nor kidney disease. Just hyperthyroidism

Good luck..
I used to put down kitchen trash bags under the towel or paper. Better for the floor and if you cover it, no one will know it's there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats