Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 PM

52 posts, read 141,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
She's bored and playing with you, that is the way cats play with each other. It will get better with age, but not real soon. Best solution is to get another cat her age so they can play together. Second best is to play more with her - go to a pet store and get a variety of cat toys. Some like the fishing pole with a feather, some like the catnip balls to bat around. Try several and actively engage her in play!
I agree with this whole heartedly. My cat gets in his "moods" and no matter what I am doing, getting ready for work, cooking, etc. he is in a mood. I think it is the same thing when they whiz through the house trying to trip you. Kitty mind games. LOL when you said she hates you!! I think all cat owners think their cat hates them sometime or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
I firmly believe that taking animals away from their mothers too young does manifest itself in behavior problems later. Kittens learn about acceptable behavior from their mothers and from playing with their siblings. Those extra weeks (12 weeks is the youngest recommended for weaning) are very important for the kitten to learn limits, and wrestling with siblings can let the kitten learn that rough play hurts!

I hiss at my cats when they're bad. At first I use canned air. I do not spray it directly at the cat - canned air isn't really air; it's all sorts of nasty chemicals, so never spray it at them. But it makes a great hissy noise, and that's what I'm after. Later, I can hiss myself and they know what I mean - knock it off!

Good luck!

Too funny! My sister came for a visit, when she walked in the door, my BadGirl growled, hissed and spit at her. My sister hissed right back! My cat didn't know what to do, so ran off. But they became fast friends. I would come home with her curled up closely to my sister on the couch, she didn't even acknowledge me anymore!!

Maybe I should start hissing at her when she misbehaves (which is often), and has not at all outgrown her hissy fits (she is 6 y/o). I picked her up just this morning and in her usual melodramatic way, gave out a big hiss. We have frequent "talks" about this, but she just looks at me--if looks could kill.... She needs her space evidently and telling me she does not want to be bothered. If she was not so affectionate at most other times, I would have taken her back, but for the most part we get along very well. I just know to stay out of her path, or may get a bite or scratch at her whim. So I just call her Hissy B*tch....

Old 08-13-2008, 09:40 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Maybe I should start hissing at her when she misbehaves (which is often), and has not at all outgrown her hissy fits (she is 6 y/o). I picked her up just this morning and in her usual melodramatic way, gave out a big hiss. We have frequent "talks" about this, but she just looks at me--if looks could kill.... She needs her space evidently and telling me she does not want to be bothered. If she was not so affectionate at most other times, I would have taken her back, but for the most part we get along very well. I just know to stay out of her path, or may get a bite or scratch at her whim. So I just call her Hissy B*tch....
That's definitely my parents' cat. She only really does it when I'm home, and mostly towards me (although occasionally she'll get mad and do it to them when I'm home). I know that "kill" look quite well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats