Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 05:52 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

Two nights ago my daughter and I heard a meowing outside. After much effort , she was able to pull a teeny tiny black & white kitten from under the hydrengea bush. I went to the pet store and bought special cat milk and even baby kitten food which he is gobbling up.
Unfortunately, I do not want another cat. I am moving soon and one grouchy old Gracie is more than enough. (So far Gracie has not met this newcomer) .

I live on Long Island and I have called every place that I can think of to find him a home. Does anyone have any ideas ? I would not want to take this little guy to a shelter where he might be put to sleep (I HATE that term....)

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
I would try a "no kill" shelter.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
If you advertise on CraigsList or the newspaper, make them pay at least $10 for her - people take free cats and dogs and sell them to labs or use as bait animals for fighters. Petfinder will let you post an ad for lost/found for free, I believe. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:43 PM

698 posts, read 2,842,131 times
Our Humane Society isn't a no-kill shelter but they don't automatically euthanize anymore either and a kitten that is healthy and friendly has a great chance of being adopted quicker than an older cat. The no-kill shelters are a fantastic option if they have space. Try asking your vet for a referral to one.
I'm trying to trap a kitten myself right now and plan to take him to our Humane Society when I am successful. That's what our vet suggested. Our two geriatric cats would not be welcoming of a rambunctious kitten interrupting their loooooong naps.
Best of luck! You're obviously a caring soul.
I agree that you have to charge and I would charge more than $10 for a kitten. Probably $75. Anyone can afford $10, including the sickos who want to exploit animals for profit.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:29 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Why not advertise at your vet's office.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Let grouchy old Gracie deal with it, I say! My older Jessica has led a pretty sedentary life the last few years along with her other old compatriots but has taken on a new lease of life now that three newcomers have arrived in the last year. Watching her playing with "the kids" is quite hilarious and when she's had enough she simply leaves and goes back to sleep. Cheers!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Well, you could start by posting a pic!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 AM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
All of the local shelters tell me that I would need to pay $10 and sign a euthanasia paper which I would never do so there the poor thing is still in my daughter's room , all by himself because my daughter is really never home. He won't come out from under the bed, the poor little guy. I printed up over 125 flyers and not one single person responded. I really do not know what to do.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-28-2008, 08:56 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
We had a similar problem when we adopted Pru from the humane assn. She was a senior cat, age about 14, and our Lola hated her. Pru decided she would stay in the master suite so we put her water bowl, food dishes, and her bed in our sitting room. Her litter box was in the master bath. Pru had the whole upstairs and Lola had the downstairs. It worked fairly well unless Lola came upstairs or Pru came downstairs. There were tiffs but nothing that resulted in injury. Lola is still semi-feral at about 8 years old. Pru died last February, but not from injuries caused by Lola--she had kidney failure. If you can get the kitten to Delaware, bring him on down. However, I think Gracie is a lot like Lola--she will adjust.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:32 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Have you tried introducing the cats in a neutral zone? I've heard this works sometimes (haven't tried it yet myself) Maybe they could get to the point of tolerance, at the very least, which would make it easier while you look for a home for her, if that's what you end up doing...

I'm also dying to see a pic!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats