Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:14 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Oh my god, your post has made my day!!! How long did it take them? We bought a new kitten in September, and from day one our 9 year old cat has lived in fear of him. I had only heard Chicken (the older one) hiss once or twice before, with the kitten she is hissing and growling constantly! The kitten is playful and chases her everywhere. I thought it would help the older cat to have a buddy and be more playful, but I had almost given up hope that they would get along. Everything I've read is more geared toward aggressive older cats harrassing kittens, not vice versa, and made it sound like they should get along in just a week or two.

Thank you for giving me hope!
Awww, hang in there DNaomi, things do get better. For some of us, it gets better rather slowly.

You named your cat Chicken ? That is SO cute !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 04:15 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, Luvmycat.

I have a 7 year old kitty and a 5 month old kitten, and it has NOT been going very well. She used to out right attack him for no reason, but now that he's getting a little older he hounds her relentlessly. He sniffs her back end, runs at her, and just bugs her non stop.

She is such a nervous wreck, and I hate to see her like that. I am trying various ways to deter "Max" ( the kitten ) from bugging her, including a squirt gun, scolding, and putting him in time out by himself, which he hates... but he's right back to doing this. He goes to the vet tonight for his last Dystemper shot, and I need to make an appointment for next month to get him fixed. I am going to ask the vet for advice, although she hasn't been very helpful yet.

Max has had a terrible start to his life, all I wanted was to give him a great life with Misty and me. But, Misty is suffering and I feel so bad. I hope I have good news to report eventually too.
I hated seeing Harley (the 12yr female) agitated, too...I used the time-out method as well, (still do when he acts up), and it does make him calm down considerably! (I also make sure his banana squeaky toy is on-hand...he loves that thing!) I am so glad to hear you are waiting until the 6 month mark for neutering...many people dont know its safer to wait until the urethra is fully developed before getting the snip! My guy has to wait until March, but I anticipate the level of craziness will abate some after this happens! (Hopefully, for BOTH our older girls sakes!) Thank you for saving Max and giving him a good, loving home!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:39 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I am so glad to hear you are waiting until the 6 month mark for neutering...many people dont know its safer to wait until the urethra is fully developed before getting the snip! My guy has to wait until March, but I anticipate the level of craziness will abate some after this happens! (Hopefully, for BOTH our older girls sakes!) Thank you for saving Max and giving him a good, loving home!
I definitely want what's best for both of my babies, and decided I am going to wait another 3 weeks from my original plans of getting Max neutered. I dread knowing he's going to be in a cage in a strange place over night, and in pain after surgery. He's my baby !

Old 01-13-2009, 02:59 PM

977 posts, read 1,955,504 times
I have four cats, the most recent addition being my Katie about 5 years ago. At that time, Mia (the oldest) was about 3, and the other two were about 1. Katie was about 9 months. She still does not get along with the other 3. They constantly attack her and hiss at her. Every once in a while, I will catch Katie napping back to back with one of the others, but as soon as one wakes up, there is growling. She always starts growling when another cat approaches her. Assimilation takes time, but after a certain point, I think it's safe to say that it may never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats