Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:15 PM

34 posts, read 94,259 times

Advertisements

Dark of the moon, did you crate them? stay in hotels? What nice hotels take cats? I don't mind paying for a hotel (versus motel opens to the road).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 01:26 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasuse View Post
Dark of the moon, did you crate them? stay in hotels? What nice hotels take cats? I don't mind paying for a hotel (versus motel opens to the road).
The kits rode in carriers the entire way. In fact, if you look at the first post of this thread, you can see how they travelled .....

For the most part, I stayed in Super 8 motels. Some locations aren't quite as nice as others, but overall the motels were decent enough. On the company website, you can search by which locations are pet-friendly, and that made it easy to find what I needed.

I know there are other motel chains that also accept pets. Again, check the company website and if in doubt, call a location directly.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:53 PM

48 posts, read 217,543 times
Thanks for asking this question! My wife and I are moving from Florida to Boston next March and we were wondering the same thing about moving with our 2 cats! Looks like everyone gave great advice!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:05 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,042 times
I moved from California to Wyoming with my cat in a carrier. She wasn't too happy at first, but she settled down after the first few hours. I tried the harness trick with her, but she just wandered around and didn't do her thing. However, at night when we stopped at the motel, I put out a litter box and her food (she would drink water while in the carrier). She would eat, potty, then hop up on the bed and snooze the night away.

If my crotchety old lady can do it, any cat can.

I'll be doing it again this summer in reverse and I've acquired two more cats during the several years I've been in Wyoming. Since none of them are particularly snuggly with each other, it ought to be an experience!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:44 PM

98 posts, read 542,368 times
I'm moving 2500 miles in a few months with a very vocal cat who (so far) hates car travel. I have taken her on 2 trips each slightly over 1 hour (in a carrier) and she pooped right away and screamed the whole time.

I intend to harness and leash train her before the trip and was planning on hooking the leash to the passenger seat belt or somewhere so she can roam, but not get under my feet. I'll be driving a rental truck, so not many options, just the seat or the floor; her choice.

I bought a couple of king size mattress pad covers with the plastic backing that I plan to cover the seat and floor of the truck with in case of accidents. I will also bring her favorite blanket and throw it over the hotel bed as well. (She sleeps with me.) I was told that it is a good idea to bring used but cleaned litter in her own box so it is familiar and she will find it easily in a strange environment (hotel room).

It has been very helpful reading the post from people who have "successfully" done this. It's hard as a pet owner to know that your pet is unhappy, but I'll just tough it out and know she'll be fine in the end!

I saw a large, collapsible, wire mesh dog kennel on line for about $30. I'll pick it up in case her unhappiness distracts me too much from the road. That way I can put her in the back of the truck (with the kennel firmly secured).

One question I have is WHO checks the vet records? Does it happen a weigh stations? It seems like an odd requirement.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 AM

232 posts, read 632,609 times
I'm a loadmaster on C130's. It's an airplane. I once picked up some of our people off an island. One of them had taken in a wild cat and adopted it and wanted to bring it back on the plane. I told him no. He kept asking, I kept saying no. He was a couple ranks higher then me, but it's my plane, my job and this guy might outrank me, but he has nothing to do with my airframe let alone know all the regulations we have to follow. He produced a request chit signed by his senior chief authorizing him to do it and he showed it to me as if that explains everything. Of course, his chain of command has nothing to do with mine and his senior chiefs say so means absolutely nothing to me since no one in his chain works on my airframe or knows what we are allowed and not allowed to do.

I realized regardless, this guy was not going to "respect my authoritah!". So, knowing that we have regulations forbiding this, that there are probably some US laws forbidding this, I told him to go talk to my aircraft commander who should have told him..."Well, what did my loadmaster tell you?"

Unfortunately, my aircraft commander was very liberal and a cat lover to boot (I am not really left or right and I like cats too, but I like not breaking regulations and laws as well). My aircraft commander told him yes.

That cat meowed really loud the whole way. I had thoughts of opening one of our doors in flight and tossing him out. He was pissing and crapping in the cage and it really stank up the plane.

Of course, once we landed on US soil we had to go through customs and agriculture. I was not surprised that they were surprised to see we brought back a wild cat. I had doubts the cat guy had any idea how to plan it out since if he actually did plan it like he said, then everyone invloved in this flights planning all the way down to me would have known about this before the day even started......and we didn't. Everyone had to remain on the plane for an hour while they decided what to do. I and the guy with the cat had to stick around for much longer then that answering questions. My warrent and air ops commander were pretty pissed and about ready to send us back to the island (2 hour flight) to put the cat back there. A vet had to come in and give the cat a check up and shots before we could let him off. This guy actually thought he just needed permission from a direct supervisor and it'd be all rosey. If he had just asked our side first...the people that actually do this ****, we could have figured all this crap out before hand and done it smoothly or just tell him ..."you nutz?".

If this ever happens to me again and my aircraft commander doesn't back me up (doubtful, I think that was the single aircraft commander we had that would say yes in this situation and after my air operations commander got done with her, I doubt she'll do it again), I will need a direct order to do such a thing and will do it under protest.

Drug the cat. I would not want to drive long distance with a cat going nutz and most likely they will in a moving vehicle.

Last edited by Herc130; 02-15-2010 at 07:21 AM..

Old 02-15-2010, 07:36 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winknod View Post
I bought a couple of king size mattress pad covers with the plastic backing that I plan to cover the seat and floor of the truck with in case of accidents. I will also bring her favorite blanket and throw it over the hotel bed as well. (She sleeps with me.) I was told that it is a good idea to bring used but cleaned litter in her own box so it is familiar and she will find it easily in a strange environment (hotel room).
Another good idea is to put three or four puppy training pads in the bottom of her carrier. They're absorbent, and if there's an accident, you can simply pull out the top one (or two) and throw it away. Helps keep the mess to a minimum.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:21 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy82 View Post
Hi there!

As some of you know, my wife and I are planning to move to San Diego, CA from Chicago, IL. We own to cats. Both of them are about 2 years old. One cat does not like a lot the car, and the other is fine. However, the cat that does not care about the care, needs to smell everything. If you move something from one place to another, she needs to sniff it and kick it to make sure it won't move.

We've planned to hire a pet moving company. They will pick them up at our place and deliver them to San Diego, however, it's so expensive. Around $1500. My wife worries and does not like to leave the cats for three days in a hotel.

Our idea is to buy a cat carrier big enough for the two of them and drive all the way from IL to CA. One of them is going to be talking all the way, and the other, will go nuts trying to smell everything in my car.
How we have to manage to feed them? Our cats are used to “self-serve” themselves as they have their food available all the day and they eat when needed. Is this a good way to feed them?
How about the litter box? Do you put it in the car and whenever you stop, you just open the kennel so they can go potty? What frequency is recommended to do this. I know cats can get urinary infections really fast.
Did you move in with your cats? How did you do it? How was your experience? Can you share some of your experience?
Thanks a lot!!!!!
Most of the time when you move cats long distance the obvious stress for some will cause them not to go.My biggest suggestion is to put them in 2 separate carriers unless they normally are cuddly with each other. Otherwise the stress can cause one to attack the other.I moved 6 cats from Florida to NY with me in the car about 6 years ago and my cats preferrred a little chicken in the cages when they were hungry and I also gave them a little water when I stopped for short breaks.I drove straight through and it took me around 14-15 hours.Only one of my guys was willing to come out of the cage then.Another suggestion is to put a familiar piece of clothing like a shirt to lay on that they are familiar with the smell.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:56 PM

600 posts, read 1,609,033 times
Interesting thread.

I took my cat on a 10 hour international flight once. He was fine. No food, water or litter box the entire time. Well, he was so nervous, that he didn't really use any of that for about 2 days total. The vet said it's normal.

I'm driving from Atlanta, GA to Los Angeles, CA in April and taking my kitty with me. I'm sure he'll be meowing and staring at me for the most part of the trip lol, but he'll be fine. Cats are cool .

Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 AM

101 posts, read 357,188 times
I drove 15 hours alone with a dog and two cats when I moved a few years ago. I had a Honda CRV and put up a dog gate to block off the back part of the vehicle, and kept my cats back there. That way I didn't have to worry about them being loose and jumping out of the vehicle if the door was opened. My dog was in the back seat of the car--where I could get him out easily for bathroom breaks and not have to worry about the cats getting out. I got a drug for the cats from my vet to calm them down for the beginning of the trip--they were both asleep for the first few hours, which made it easier. They don't like riding very much, as the only trips they took before this were to to vet for their appointments. It was stressful, but we made it, and they were both glad when we arrived at our new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats