Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 11:52 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times

Advertisements

This is my cat, Fuzzy. He's about a year old. Not sure how much he weighs. I'd guess like 5-10 pounds maybe? I don't have a scale. He hasn't been the vet since he's was neutered, and that was like 8 months ago. He's pretty heavy for his frame. And he's got a bunch of fat on his belly. He's a black, long-haired cat. his hair on his belly and under his arms is lighter in color. His hair isn't quite as long as my sister's ragamuffin. I tried to measure his fur, but he didn't like that. Anyway, it looks like his fur is maybe 1.5 inches to 2.5 inches, varying in length in different areas of his body.

Fuzzy showed up here Christmas 2007 and we kind of just adopted him. He likes to play in the toilet (when we forget and leave the seat up), and he plays in the water bowl. He sleeps a lot, but he likes to play with people and his cousin (my sister's cat) Butthead (ragamuffin). Fuzzy has a smaller face and slightly smaller frame than Butthead, but Fuzzy is heavier.

Fuzzy looks a little bit like a Mine Coon cat, except that the fur on his ears doesn't come to a point like that. He's also not that big, although he may not be done growing. He is very talkative, though. He loves to go outside. I don't let him out because there's a highway right in front of our house. We've lost too many cats that way. He's caught a mouse, a skink, and a snake (in the house). His eyes aren't really round. Fuzzy's fur does get matted under the arms. Fuzzy doesn't nearly weigh enough.

I don't think he's a maine coon (of course he could be mixed). His ears don't have that tuft of fur on the top. How do I tell if his fur is waterproof?

Looking through the book, he shares some traits with the Maine Coon and the Norwegian Forest cat (but he's not nearly big enough), as well as the Chantilly, the Birman, and the Somali. He has more in common with the first two than the last 3, but he's significantly smaller than the Maine Coon or the Norwegian. The persians I've seen have more of a flat face. Fuzzy's face is more pointed.

I guess he's just a mutt. That's fine of course. I'm a mutt myself. I was just kinda curious what kind of cat he is.

I would certainly still appreciate any input, though.

Anyway, here's some pics. I figure he's just a domestic longhair. Just wondering someone else's opinion. Thanks.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/LeannaW1989/Animals/Pets/12-21-08PM222.jpg (broken link)

He likes to climb in the dryer
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/LeannaW1989/Animals/Pets/12-19-08112.jpg (broken link)

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/LeannaW1989/Animals/Pets/12-16-08132.jpg (broken link)

Toilet cat
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/LeannaW1989/Animals/Pets/9-20-08006.jpg (broken link)

Workaholic
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/LeannaW1989/Animals/Pets/10-19-08001.jpg (broken link)

I don't really have any good pictures of his belly, but it's more of a light brown color. And his chest hair is curly. He gets knots under his arms.

Here's a picture of his belly, not as good, though.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/LeannaW1989/Animals/Pets/DSC04755.jpg (broken link)

Any ideas? Thanks.

And just for awws, here's his cousin Butthead.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/LeannaW1989/Animals/Pets/DSC04736.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 02-16-2009 at 12:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 05:43 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
I just wanted to say that he is beautiful!! My Tommy is a long haired domestic but orange in color and much larger (12lb) !!!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
To me he looks like a persian mix and he looks just like a cat I had when I was a kid and I named her aretha . Yes after aretha franklin because when she meowed she sounded like she was singing . I miss that cat she passed when I had reached my 21st bday . she lived a long time from my understanding .BTw your boy is beautifull .

Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 AM

Thank you.

Thinking about it, he might be closer to ten-fifteen pounds, because he's heavier than my sister's 10-lb ragamuffin, but not as heavy as our 15 pound Chihuahua.

I think he has the most in common with a Maine coon or a Norwegian forest cat, except that he's not quite as big. And they have round eyes, Fuzzy doesn't really. And like a Maine Coon he's very talkative and loves to be outside.

I'm sure he's a mutt. Might just be a regular old Domestic Longhair, which is fine with me.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
are you sure he's only a year old? I was thinking he could be a Norwegian Forest Cat mix, but the Wegies and Coons take about 5 years to reach adulthood - and at a year old, they tend to weigh about 12lbs, but they still have an adolescent coat. That's a lot of ruff already come in for a yearling Wegie or Coon.

The differences between the Wegie and the Coons (they first look very similar) is largely head stuff and general size. Maine Coons are bigger and boxier, Wegies are a bit more rectangular in the body. Wegie heads are wedge-shaped (think lion) with a straight nose - although pet quality cats often have a slope. But their chins come more to a point and the jaw slants back more triangular than a Coon. Coons are described as having a box muzzle on a box head. Coons have round eyes, Wegies have almond eyes. So Fuzzy looks a little more like a Wegie in those pics (why on earth is he in the dryer!!!), but his coat is awfully advanced for one that young.

Ben Franklin although this will show you one of my cat's brother at 1.5years. mine isn't quite as fluffy, but Ben was artfully combed for his pics. Wegies come in any color. (if you browse the kitten page, mine was called Patrick Henry - but is now Canute)

Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
He's a beauty, whatever he is! Please don't let him play in the dryer, there have been cases of cats sleeping there who accidently got covered by wet clothes and then dried - which was fatal to them. He's sure pretty!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 PM

I don't let him play in there. The dryer door stays closed, but sometimes when I'm doing laundry he climbs in there.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:40 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times
In the second picture, his face looks like a fox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats