Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:44 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times

Advertisements

He never bothers her when she goes to the box. He was on the floor, chewing one of his bully sticks, like he normally does. This one is behind the couch, a place he is not interested in. Nothing was different, she just heard me make her appointment and said, "I'll show you!" :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
He never bothers her when she goes to the box. He was on the floor, chewing one of his bully sticks, like he normally does. This one is behind the couch, a place he is not interested in. Nothing was different, she just heard me make her appointment and said, "I'll show you!" :-)
Can't you just see the wheels in her head turning? LOL!
Well, at least this way, you'll have a definitive ans. and we can work from there. The vet may have some tips for you as well. I almost hope it is a UTI....Much easier to fix! Keep us posted!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:01 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,685 times
Having been around cats my entire life, I may have a few things to help you out;

Gather all the dog's toys in it- everything you little darling pees on. Clean them thoroughly with the enzyme cleaner. **let them dry outdoors (don't know why, but it helps)
Get a mesh bag and put all the above items in it. Keep it hanging somewhere, -off a doorknob, in a closet, whatever.

Now for the important part, you've removed the temptation, and have to correct the behavior. Every time (and it HAS to be consistant) you catch the cat peeing somewhere other than the litter box, squirt him with a spray bottle. Try to do it while it's happening whenever possible. Just a squirt and believe you me, this behavior will stop toot sweet!

We have trained many a cat this way! Good luck!

Old 03-23-2009, 11:33 PM

Ugh, I spoke too soon. The dog was sniffing around the bookcases and I went to see what he's sniffing, and there is a HUGE puddle of cat urine behind the books. The books are drenched, as are all of our photo albums. There are urine stains behind the bookcase as well, so she's been going there.

I just caught her going BEHIND her litterbox, instead of in it. I tried to put her in the box, and she fought me the entire time. She is now in the bathroom with one of her litterboxes, meowing very loudly which I am sure our neighbors appreciate. And, her kitty condo is totally drenched on the inside. If you know anything about cat urine, there is a good chance you would not want to step into this place because of the stench. I hope that the 2nd vet we are seeing tomorrow discovers something medical that the first one missed, because this is just ridiculous and I'm really fed up at this point. This is no way to live, especially in a 709 sq ft apartment. And, my mom is coming to visit us for a week on April 4th. She's never been here and she gets to sleep while inhaling the wonderful stench of cat urine. I'm sure she will appreciate that. Keep your fingers crossed that she has a medical condition that I can treat and all this will go away.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:56 PM

Ok, so now I've reached my boiling point. We just got the dog a brand new bed and spent over $100 on it. He had a very cheap one that wasn't the most comfortable, but it was waterproof and perfect for him when he was still not housebroken. Since he hasn't had accidents since December, we decided to get him a bed that will last him year and is good quality. Well, I just found a huge puddle of cat urine on the bed and it soaked all the way through to the filling, so his new bed is ruined before he even got to use it. I just laid it out today and he hasn't even had a chance to sniff it and she already peed all over it. I really don't know how much more of this I can take.

I'm thinking of what's gonna happen when we have a baby in the near future. Am I going to have to keep her in the bathroom for her entire life because she will mark the stroller, exersaucer, crib, toys, etc? That's no way to live, both for her or us.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:34 AM

I feel for you. Cat urine is the worst. Better buy stock in that enzyme cleaner and start scrubbing. Unfortunately, your pictures are most likely ruined. I too am praying it is medical. Even if he says he can't find anything, or it is a low grade UTI...try and convince him to give you a round of Clavamox. If not...PM me.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:34 AM

I'm sure you know she is a Sphynx. We got her from a breeder. I emailed the breeder about the issue last night, and she said to rehome her!!! What kind of a person, esp. one that allegeldy cares for animals, would suggest such a thing?? She said it's impossible to care for a kitten/puppy at the same time, especially when you live in an apartment in the city. Really, people in NYC shouldn't be allowed to have pets? I think my communication with her is finished. She's not concerned about it being medical, and said it's most likely territorial, which makes me wonder if this issue is common with this breed and we just didn't know. I'll keep you posted. Her vet appt. is in a few hours.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:10 PM

We are back from the vet. There is absolutely nothing physically wrong with this cat. The vet commented on how she is doglike and extremely outgoing. He said he's never seen such a socialized cat. They got some urine out of her bladder and it's pefectly normal. So, this is a behavioral issue.

I got the Feliway plug in, and some industrial strenght pee odor remover, which I'll be using tonight when the animals are out of the area she likes to pee on. He gave me the number to a cat behaviorist that is also a vet, and said he deals with issues like this. He also said that as a last resort, we can use Valium, which I really don't want to use. I was glad to hear that dogs are not interested in cat pee usually so he should not want to mark the area she soiled.

Well, 2 vets and they both agree that it's behavioral, so I guess I'll start with the Feliway and work from there. I plugged it in, and she is standing right near it, sniffing it. Is that normal? When I told him the breeder said to rehome her, he was speechless. He said people abandon pets at his practice with issues like ours and is glad to see some people are actually willing to work with an animal instead of getting rid of it and passing the problem on to someone else.

Thanks for all the advice. I will try everything mentioned in this thread in hopes of correcting this problem.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:20 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
I wouldn't have a baby until this situation is taken care of, it would be unsanitary conditions and there would be NO way of keeping the cat from peeing all over the babies toys and clothes and bed...

Old 03-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Are there spots which she has urinated over and over on? To start...after cleaning them well with the enzyme cleaner...how about putting a litter box in those exact spots...I had a friend whose Raggie did this and it worked. It may not be the spot you would have picked for a box, but for now, it may help and you can slowly move the box later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats