Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:50 AM

321 posts, read 853,919 times

Advertisements

Here coolrob, i'll explain this to you in simple words.

I rescue cats - I have 15 adults and 11 orphaned kittens.

My daughters friends all know I rescue cats.

This piece of Moderator cut: I know you are angry, but please watch your language . dumped a pregnant, female, cat in the middle of a field in a Canadian winter with no food, water or shelter and walked away while the cat was crying for her.

Understand me so far.

We have a million homeless shelters in this area for this girl to turn too - three of them just down the road. They would have helped her find a home. And so would her friends. And so would I. Our Canadian government will give her money for an apartment. And food. And so would the food banks and churches in the area. She will be taken care of.

She can find help no problem - but her cat does not have that option.

I have watched cats almost die giving birth. They have survived because I was able to find help for them. If this cat runs into difficulty- she will die and so will her helpless newborn kittens.

If she even gets that far. I assume you are a guy so you probably have no clue as to what the body goes through nurturing a new life (or several new lives in the case of a cat). Without food, water or shelter this cat has a snowball's chance in hell of making it. If she doesn't get run over by a vehicle first or killed by a dog or another cat or a coyote. She has no idea how to take care of herself - let alone her kittens in the middle of nowhere.

Moderator cut: personal attack. not necessary.
I have nothing more to say to you. People like you are the reason I'm constantly taking in homeless cats all the time and trying to help them.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-31-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 01:42 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I don't understand some of you people at all!
As this is a forum for people who own pets and/or love animals, no one posts on here looking for general human psychological input. Animal psychology perhaps, but not human. Regular contributors on this forum are concerned as to the whereabouts and the welfare of the subject feline. THAT is what a cat forum would be about, no?

Whether or not you understand the other contributors is a moot point. Should you wish to contribute insight into the deeper workings of human relationships, I do believe there is a relationship forum, or perhaps the parenting forum, where perhaps your contributions would be more appropriate.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:58 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,384 times
Look I understand the need for animal control. I'm not one of those "no kill" zealots who think there is never a right time to euthanize an animal. However, there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. If a shelter is overwhelmed there is no problem with practicing population control but there is a big difference between humanely putting down an animal and throwing one out into the snow.

All that being said. Anyone who could treat an animal like that concerns me. No matter what situation a person is in (short of loss of life and limb) they should have more respect for other living beings. Drop it at a shelter or with one of the many animal care groups that are found pretty much everywhere. Too treat another living being with that little respect says a lot about what kind of person you are.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:15 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
As this is a forum for people who own pets and/or love animals, no one posts on here looking for general human psychological input. Animal psychology perhaps, but not human. Regular contributors on this forum are concerned as to the whereabouts and the welfare of the subject feline. THAT is what a cat forum would be about, no?

Whether or not you understand the other contributors is a moot point. Should you wish to contribute insight into the deeper workings of human relationships, I do believe there is a relationship forum, or perhaps the parenting forum, where perhaps your contributions would be more appropriate.

I do own pets, and I am not referring to any human psychology/relationships, I am just referring to practicing basic decency to a fellow human being, that is all. I just cannot understand how someone could care that much for an animal, but in the same breath behave so callous towards a human being ( a homeless girl In need at that)?

I am not trolling or looking to pick a fight, it is just suprising, that's all.

I am gracefully bowing out of this discussion, God bless!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:28 PM

321 posts, read 853,919 times
I looked into the cost of turning an animal over to the Humane Society in our area and was surprised to find it only costs $20.00.

I wish she had known that because I would certainly have given her the money to make sure her cat was properly cared for.

We also have animal rescue groups - Kitty Kat Keep and Niagara Action for Animals who are really wonderful in this kind of situation. I don't know if this young lady even knew these groups existed. But I would have told her if she had asked me. I just wish she would have come to me before she dumped her cat in a field. I would certainly have done everything I can to help her find a humane solution to her situation.

On a more personal note, I am sorry if I am coming across as too emotional. Let me just say that I am battling severe depression right now and it is affecting a lot of things in my life.

I certainly believe that every one has the right to an opinion and I'm sorry for anything offensive that I might have said. My emotions are all over the place right now.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:34 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I do own pets, and I am not referring to any human psychology/relationships, I am just referring to practicing basic decency to a fellow human being, that is all. I just cannot understand how someone could care that much for an animal, but in the same breath behave so callous towards a human being ( a homeless girl In need at that)?

I am not trolling or looking to pick a fight, it is just suprising, that's all.

I am gracefully bowing out of this discussion, God bless!
Perhaps the apparent lack of understanding is due to the fact that a human being can at least do something about being homeless, whilst a tiny pregnant cat abandoned in the middle of a field in a Canadian Winter doesn't have that option.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:18 PM

605 posts, read 2,990,160 times
Dude, the girl dumped the cat well in advance of her being homeless, if I read the story right. And why in the world would it be "OK" for her to be cruel to the poor cat, regardless?

People like that disgust me.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:19 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Okay. There was so much hostility on this thread that I had planned to close it , but I knew we all wanted to see a possible (hopeful) resolution and the thread was so valuable in many ways that I chose not to. Thank you for making peace with each other at the end so that we were able to leave the thread opened.

And, let's all hope that the little cat found her way to a warm home.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-31-2009, 04:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Okay. There was so much hostility on this thread that I had planned to close it , but I knew we all wanted to see a possible (hopeful) resolution and the thread was so valuable in many ways that I chose not to. Thank you for making peace with each other at the end so that we were able to leave the thread opened.

And, let's all hope that the little cat found her way to a warm home.
Thanks Nancy....I'm really hoping something good comes of all this!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:19 PM

322 posts, read 903,199 times
Sadly, people ARE stupid enough to think they are doing the cat a favor because they think it has a "chance at a better life," in the country, and "it will just get put to sleep at the shelter." And yes, I own a sweet, little black kitty who was one of three kittens snuggled up against a dead, abandoned mother in a cold winter. I can't believe people think that, but they do and it makes me sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats