Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:20 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Lindsey, I am so sorry about your kitty, but it sounds as if he will be ok......isnt he the deaf one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 05:43 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lindsey, I am so sorry about your kitty, but it sounds as if he will be ok......isnt he the deaf one?
Yes he is also the deaf kitty. I keep telling myself that is why he howls so loudly NOW. He can't hear how awful he sounds but we give him alot of leeway because of what he has been through.

I think he gets frustrated and he says Meow-ow really loud.

We love him so much and he is really doing better.

When he gets frustrated, I pick him up and hold him until he quiets down and starts to purr. My heart aches for him but I am SO glad he is still with us.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
I didn't realise the poor poppet was deaf too. That's a whole different challenge I'm sure. You must be delighted with his progress.

Do you know if he was born deaf or if it happened later on? It's curious that he "speaks" if he was indeed born deaf. Can I ask if he's all white?

(Just my never-ending curiosity getting the better of me. )

Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
I didn't realise the poor poppet was deaf too. That's a whole different challenge I'm sure. You must be delighted with his progress.

Do you know if he was born deaf or if it happened later on? It's curious that he "speaks" if he was indeed born deaf. Can I ask if he's all white?

(Just my never-ending curiosity getting the better of me. )
Yes, he is PURE white except for when he falls into the baby food we feed him now to make sure he gets enough moisture.

I can't say that he is completely deaf, I have always wondered if he might not have some hearing along the spectrum but for example he doesn't hear us calling him.

He is doing well but still doesn't get how to drink water, so we are giving it to him in a dropper and like I said giving him baby food in meat flavors because there is alot of moisture in it. I have been sitting him in front of the water bowl and dipping his nose in it and so far he has only been annoyed by this and not decided to drink.

He is a very loving cat and purrs like a crazy man when you pick him up so I know he is in there somewhere because thats how he was before his stroke. He still seems a little weak on the left front paw but he is getting around pretty well.

He LOVES being out on the lanai in the sun, he is such a son hog.

He sleeps in the bed next to me covered up because I keep my room cold and he has always been the kind of kitty to get cold. In the past he has even climbed under the covers on my bed for a nap.

He is getting stronger every day.

I have always wondered if a cat is born deaf how do they learn to meow? I guess I will have to read up on that. I have seen him sit in the window during a LOUD thunderstorm like its nothing while the other cats have hidden. He also loves to be vacuumed, while the other cats have hidden from the noise. BUT then one time the crack of thunder was so loud even he came running inside from the lanai, so I don't know if he heard it or FELT the vibration. The storms can be severe here and even I have felt the vibration from a crack of thunder in my chest.

Tumnus is a fascinating little guy with an amazing spirit.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:53 AM

Default Congenital deafness

Lindsey - I'm not sure if you're aware of the congenital aspect, it's why I asked about his color.

Anyway, you might find this interesting.

White Cats, Eye Colours and Deafness

Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Lindsey - I'm not sure if you're aware of the congenital aspect, it's why I asked about his color.

Anyway, you might find this interesting.

White Cats, Eye Colours and Deafness
I had been aware of it when we adopted him but I didn't care if he was deaf, we love him all the same. It actually makes him an interesting character. He doesn't mind loud noises so he isn't near as jumpy as a normal cat.
He gets really amorous when we bring out the vacuum cleanner, its almost indecent how he acts.

He is my third blue eyes white cat over the years and the only one who has displayed any kind of deafness. He is an indoor only cat except for the screened in porch which he loves. When they can't hear you have to protect them more.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
He is my third blue eyes white cat over the years and the only one who has displayed any kind of deafness.
It's an interesting genetic conundrum certainly.

I do hope he continues to improve.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:44 PM

He is fearless at wandering around the house and getting better and better. He is also very loud. He has alot to say and wants to make sure we ALL hear it.

The other cats are used to him being rude to them. NOW they come up to him and wait for him to hiss or swat and he does nothing. He seems like he has other fish to fry.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 AM

We have been feeding him baby food and then he started eating dry kibble on his own. Well that concerned me because I wasn't seeing him drink water. I would put him in front of the water and dip his nose in it and he would have none of it. He would even walk through the water bowl like he didn't see it. SO we were giving him water through a dropper to make sure he didn't get dehydrated.

This morning for the first time, I saw him approach the water bowl and drink water all on his own.
He has a fearless spirit, he is getting so much better its amazing.

He still sleeps between my daughter and I on a pillow in bed and he will sleep all night.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:35 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Lindsey, I am sooooo glad he is eating and drinking on his own! That speaks volumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats