Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:24 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times

Advertisements

My cat keeps scratching at her ears. Not sure if she has mites. Sometimes they get alot of "wax" and so just clean them with a Q tip. Any home remedies for this? She is very large, combative and difficult to get to the vet, just getting her in the cat carrier is a huge event, she growls and fights it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 08:17 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
My cat keeps scratching at her ears. Not sure if she has mites. Sometimes they get alot of "wax" and so just clean them with a Q tip. Any home remedies for this? She is very large, combative and difficult to get to the vet, just getting her in the cat carrier is a huge event, she growls and fights it.
my daughter treats her cat for ear mites by putting in drops she got from the vet. I think Petsmart may sell a product too. However if your cat is reluctant to allow you to do so-I dunno.
That is the reason when I get a new animal I touch their food when they are eating, hold them on my lap and look at their ears and teeth,etc; to get them used to me doing such things. Fortunately I could pick my dog up while she is in the middle of eating and check her ears then put her back to eating. She is used to everything. LOL

Old 04-08-2007, 08:30 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
There are quite a few home treatments for ear mites that use plant oils or herbs. Just google holistic ear mite treatment.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:34 AM

341 posts, read 1,486,730 times
As a Vet Tech I highly recommend you make the effort to go have her ears checked first by your vet. Damage can be done & money wasted if you misdiagnose her. If she's a fierce fighter have your vet give you a sedative to relax the cat that you will give her PRIOR to the car ride. Animals can go deaf & deal with alot of pain if their ears are not treated properly. Guessing may not be the best choice. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2007, 08:59 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Dip a cotton ball in mineral oil and gently clean your cat's ears. The residue, if it is indeed mites, will be black.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:46 PM

504 posts, read 1,763,979 times
I found a kitten a few years ago at the flea market cold and hungry and full of ear mites. I got some ear mite medicine at the pet shop and put ear drops in and then cleaned them with a big cotton ball she handled it well. I continue to check even now, just put a cotton ball in her ear and gently clean it, if its nasty blackish, ear mites again. The important thing after cleaning her ears was taking her to the vet for a good check up, shots and of course getting spayed. I have inside outside dogs and two of them get ear mites frequently.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:28 AM

I used olive oil mixed with tea tree oil, and seems to be working! Thanks all for the helpful suggestions.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:03 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times
I would use a small amount of peroxcide with water in a ear dropper...that is what my ear dr told me to do with my ears, and I would think it might work on a pet? Hope you found a solution!

Old 04-21-2007, 05:07 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,361 times
I will second the notion of take your cat to the vet. You should never guess what's going on in your pets ears or any other medical condition. If your cat is really that difficult, it may be helpful for them to possible sedate her and get a really good thorough cleaning done for you so you can start with clean ears.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:08 PM

She is very pathetic sedated, eyes rolling, drooling, yowling. Won't do that again. I have to keep her carrier in the car, wrap her in a big towel and get her into the car. Once she is in the carrier, she is so scared she stays there. But getting her there is no fun! I have seen no residue since I gave her the olive oil treatment, that was a week ago. So maybe not ear mites. But she does need to go to the vet for her shots, and teeth cleaning, dread dread....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats