Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:34 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times

Advertisements

If your cat is only used to riding in the car to go to the Vet then that would explain why your kitty is so upset.
Once it figures out there is no Vet at the end of the trip, it might calm down a bit.
I have had cats that don't mind traveling in the car at all. My Henry will ride in the car and go with me to drive throughs and watch everything and then of course BEG for the food afterward.

When he was a baby, I took him in my purse into places like Walgreens. I would make a few trips before the big one, like I said to drive throughs. Get some kitty Xanax but give only a little, then when you get done at Burger King or Wendys reward the kitty with a bit of hamburger. Change your kitties impression of what a car trip means.

If you have room in the car, you can have it set up where the cat can have a litter box however I personally would not recommend letting the cat loose in the car while you are driving considering how upset being in the car makes them.

One trip my parents and I went on, I had my two cats and my Dads Manx Kittery who were all happy to be in the car, we were in a dual cab truck, the cats were sitting on the backs of the seats having a high old time, people would point and stare as they went by, shocked at seeing such a sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:37 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
I am so luck, my dog actually calms down in the car and sleeps. She is usually a nut.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
If you have room in the car, you can have it set up where the cat can have a litter box however I personally would not recommend letting the cat loose in the car while you are driving considering how upset being in the car makes them.
It's never a good idea to leave a pet free in the car, aside from the distraction that can cause if you are in an accident they are more likely to get hurt.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:43 PM

357 posts, read 1,383,554 times
I moved from CT to NC with two cats, one of whom meowed the whole way (Siamese) & the other one who made us think something was wrong with him but in reality he just wanted out of his carrier. We drove straight through but in hindsight it probably would have been less stressful on everyone involved if we had stayed at a pet-friendly hotel. My advice would be:
1) Put a harness on your cat with identification tags. Harnesses are much better than collars as they are difficult to slip out of
2) Carry a leash & a small extra litter pan with you. When our one cat (who was quite content traveling in the car prior to the move) was flipping around in his carrier 7 hours into the trip we figured he was in urgent need of a litterpan or was in distress. We were able to stop, hook the leash to his already-put-on harness & bring him to his litterpan. In reality he only wanted to be out of his carrier, but just the idea of having a 'just in case' litterpan put our minds at ease.
3) I know transporting in carriers is ALWAYS the safest, but I've also traveled with a cat outside of a carrier on rare occasion. If you choose to do this for any reason, just be sure to stuff towels underneath all of the seats as that's where cats try to hide if they get scared & you'd have a lot of difficulty getting them out.
4) Your cat might be stressed just because he/she knows the vet visit is at the end of the trip. Maybe some shorter rides around that end in positive reinforcement could help slightly (far reach, I know...)

Best of luck with your move!

Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 PM

23 posts, read 69,125 times
Luckily my wife will have my sister riding with her so she can have some assistance. I am thinking about getting one of those harnesses and somehow tying my cat to a seat so she can have some movement in the back but not be able to go all over the place.

All great tips here, thank you for sharing your experiences.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:51 PM

300 posts, read 973,137 times
We also moved our cats from MA to NC a few years ago. We flew JetBlue non-stop to RDU and took them onboard (they fit in a Sherpa carrier and go under your seat). Take away their food and water a few hours before you leave and definately do not sedate them if you plan on flying.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:10 PM

306 posts, read 883,304 times
We moved our two cats from NJ to NC almost 3 years ago. Our vet recommended cat nip (dried) as a sedative, so we used that. It worked like a charm. You can buy a container of it from Pet Smart or any pet store.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:40 PM

129 posts, read 671,159 times
we moved our cats from Florida, it was almost 12 hours . Our vet told us not to feed them that morning because they could get motion sickness. One of them did very well, she stayed in her carrier the whole time, did not use the litter at all (we took a small litter box). The other one became so nervous she threw up and had a bowel movement. Just be prepared..I packed plastic bags, a roll of paper towels, wipes , several towels and air spray ..it came in handy. They will usually hold out to use the bathroom until they arrive..you and the cat will survive..they are stronger and tougher than we give them credit for...good luck to you.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:44 PM

108 posts, read 347,666 times
Another option is that you can fly your cat. I did it when I moved to California from Mass. I had a friend bring the cat to the airport in Boston and I picked her up later that day in San Francisco. It was very affordable and I just called the airlines to get quotes. May be easier than the drive and you can pick the cat up once you're settled (provided you have a friend willing to handle the other end).

Old 07-09-2009, 03:46 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,334 times
I had a kitty that would ride in the car fine, until it got dark and the headlights from other cars freaked her out. Something to keep in mind. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats