Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:55 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,305 times

Advertisements

I have two cats. They very rarely will go outside by themselves. If I go out the front door they will run outside with me and lurk around my legs. Sometimes they will venture off somewhere, but they are around me most of the time.

It's like they are scared to go outside by themselves. They have to have me out there with them.

My question is: How can I get them to go out alone? It is getting really annoying.

I sometimes will shut them out, but they will claw at the door until I let them back in. It gets really old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 09:10 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Why do you want them to? They're safer inside, and the birds are safer too.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Why do you want them to? They're safer inside, and the birds are safer too.
They enjoy being outside. That's why. They start acting crazy if they don't get outside too. They enjoy the sights and sounds.
My house is on a very quiet street so it's pretty safe outside for them. But they still want me out there with them.

Wish there was a way I could train them, but good luck training a cat.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:50 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,527 times
I don't think by you shutting them outside will help. That is just scaring them back inside. Why don't you leave the door open for them to come and go as they please? Eventually they might feel comfortable enough to venture out by themselves. You can't make a cat do something.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:16 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I have two cats. They very rarely will go outside by themselves. If I go out the front door they will run outside with me and lurk around my legs. Sometimes they will venture off somewhere, but they are around me most of the time.

It's like they are scared to go outside by themselves. They have to have me out there with them.

My question is: How can I get them to go out alone? It is getting really annoying.

I sometimes will shut them out, but they will claw at the door until I let them back in. It gets really old.
With all the dangers for cats outside your home, why would you want them to go outside alone?

Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
They enjoy being outside. That's why. They start acting crazy if they don't get outside too. They enjoy the sights and sounds.
My house is on a very quiet street so it's pretty safe outside for them. But they still want me out there with them.

Wish there was a way I could train them, but good luck training a cat.
A very quiet street doesn't mean a safe street. Sadists and cat haters live everywhere, even on the most quiet streets. And what about predators and roaming dogs? Kids with rocks? I live on a quiet rural road and still see not only wildlife killed on the roads, but cats and dogs as well. What about disease and parasites? They exist everywhere. Cats are better off if kept indoors.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
There is no need for cats to go outside. My cat has been indoors for 15+ years and has no desire to go outside. I'm glad he doesn't. I took him outside one day just to see what would happen and he totally freaked. I never did it again.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:37 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
I have the agree with the others. I have indoor cats that good outside, but if had cats that didn't want to go outside, then I would just leave them indoors. You say they freak out every so often and tell you they want to go outside. But then they stay around you and won't go out without you. That tells me they really don't want to go outside, or they should only go out for a few minutes at a time.

Don't be so quick to force your cats outside.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I have the agree with the others. I have indoor cats that good outside, but if had cats that didn't want to go outside, then I would just leave them indoors. You say they freak out every so often and tell you they want to go outside. But then they stay around you and won't go out without you. That tells me they really don't want to go outside, or they should only go out for a few minutes at a time.

Don't be so quick to force your cats outside.
No, I don't force my cats to go out. They want to go out. My male cat loves going out. He is always catching lizards and other things. He loves to hunt. My cats actually come and get me to take them outside. I know it sounds weird, but trust me...my cats will come find me and try to lead me outside.

I don't know it's like they want me to be there for protection and/or to watch them roll around and hunt things. It's kind of funny, but it gets really annoying. Also, my cats are very affectionate cats. They have to be with you just about everywhere you go. I love them, but they can get very annoying. They are very leachy.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Also, like said in an earlier post, they WANT to go outside. They get CRAZY if they stay inside all day/night. The fall weather makes them all frisky...pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats