Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:07 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times

Advertisements

My daughter came home one day to tell me that her friends Mother was going to take their pregnant cat and have her put to sleep. She was upset the cat had gotten pregnant a second time. I thought to myself evidently that abstinence talk you gave her fell on deaf ears.

This woman has 13 cats NONE of which are fixed and she is shocked one of them is pregnant for the second time???????

Well I couldn't let her have this cat put to sleep or drop her off somewhere so she didn't have a safe place to have her babies. I told her to call her friend and tell her we would come and get the Momma Cat that was pregnant. When we got there, the Mother told us to take two of the kittens from the previous litter as well. They were only born in April so they aren't very big.

So Momma Cat was on fire mad the first night but she had her babies the second night and had figured out we were there to help her and not hurt her. She didn't even make a sound, I heard the crying of one of the babies and went in to see she was having the babies. She was purring and ***** footing throughout labor and after the babies started to nurse.

She is an amazing Mother. This is something I have never seen before. I fostered a litter of kittens that had been buried alive one time, no Mother in sight but this is very different to watch the Mother interact with them. We have watched as they have opened their eyes, became aware of our voices and would look up to us.

Now the family has taken over my master bathroom with a child gate so they don't get into my bedroom. They are 3 weeks old now I think, they can run and romp and cry if Momma gets up and takes a moment to herself.

The two older boys that were Momma Kitties from the first litter are not welcome so far to play with the kitties when Momma is there, however one of them is actually sweet with them. We watch closely so none of my other cats hurt the babies. That would break my heart.

I don't understand people that have animals, don't get them fixed and then are mad when they get pregnant. What is wrong with these people??

In the state of Florida it costs more for Animal Control to put an animal to sleep then it does for some of the foster groups that also have groups that help with spay and neuter. These groups can get it done for $40 bucks where as in my area is costs $68 at animal control.

Do these people just get animals with no understanding of their instincts?? I have been watching Momma and I know well enough she would wander out and get knocked up again if given half a chance. She is going to get fixed and the group that puts animals at Petsmart is going to take her and her kittens to find a home for them. I am of course thinking of keeping one of them.

I can't help it, I know I shouldn't but there is one that is all grey and he has puffy fur. I admit to being very in love with this little guy. BUT I don't need another cat and I know they will find homes rather quickly because kittens go more quickly then adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 PM

672 posts, read 5,093,265 times
Goodness, what is wrong with people like that! If you get cats you have them spayed and neutered. Of course they'll fall pregnant and act on their instincts!

They can't help it. It's our job to make sure they are protected from gving birth to more unwanted kittens.

This is far beyond my understanding. Cases like these frustrate me too a lot. I also know of someone (my friend's mother in law, never met her) who has like 7 cats and they keep getting pregnant. Only they don't throw out the mums, keep having kittens euthanized. Idiotical.

I'm glad you took care of those kittens and mum. Good job!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:46 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
They euthanized the kittens I don't even want to get started - what in the ..... There are places that will spay and neuter pets at a discounted rate.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
They euthanized the kittens I don't even want to get started - what in the ..... There are places that will spay and neuter pets at a discounted rate.
Sadly enough, not here

Old 10-07-2009, 12:00 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
KatrineA - Oh, I see you're in Norway.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:54 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
can't fix stupid.........

Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
There's a special place in heaven for you, Lindsey. You'll be surrounded by purring, loving cats.

That woman, on the other hand ...

Old 10-07-2009, 11:39 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Only 2 counties here have a spay and neuter program, and you have to be dirt poor to get it. There are feral spaying programs in St. Louis, 3 hours away.

My county doesn't even have a pound. If someone can't give an animal away, either they let it wander and it gets hit by a car, it hangs around and has babies, or they take it out and shoot it.

I don't agree with euthanizing kittens, but in my county there's not a pound. No pound will take them. No shelter will take them. If a pregnant cat wanders on your property, and you don't have $140 to shell out for spaying, it can be difficult.

Some places just have almost no resources. I'm not saying I agree with taking the animal out and shooting it. I couldn't do it. But some people do. Usually it's a last resort. It's very difficult to find a shelter that will take them. In my county, no local pound will take them.

I don't live in Norway. I just live in one of the major puppy mill states (Pennsylvania is another one).

Old 10-07-2009, 12:07 PM

I don't agree with euthanizing any cats for any other reason that it's for the best interest for the cat (if it suffers from a terminal disease and is in pain for example).

I know of another idiot who had several cats and they kept getting pregnant. He actually chose to shoot all of his cats eventually, including the adult cats. I didn't hear about this until a year after it had happened and I was still young. It traumatized me. I knew the person very well (never really liked him though).

Cats have a very low rank in society. I wish for it to change. I don't know how I'd reacted if I ever found out someone had burried kittens alive. I would also rescue them of course. Then cry in frustration.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,324,281 times
What gets to me in situations like this is people don't understand having LOTS of kittens is more expenisve then getting a cat fixed. There are groups all over who will do it for low cost, you just have to call around and ask.

And sometimes there is no cure of idiots.

But at least we're a crazy bunch of animal lovers here that seem to do the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats