Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 PM

943 posts, read 1,847,009 times

Advertisements

has anyone purchased this for their cat? Feeb back appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 AM

11,278 posts, read 19,612,757 times
Well.....it's a dry food and it contains fish. Those two facts would prevent me from ever feeding it to my cats.

I also know they recently went "grain free" with their cat food formula and loaded up on potato instead . (it's the second ingredient)

Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 PM

943 posts, read 1,847,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Well.....it's a dry food and it contains fish. Those two facts would prevent me from ever feeding it to my cats.

I also know they recently went "grain free" with their cat food formula and loaded up on potato instead . (it's the second ingredient)
I am not sure if potatos is the second ingredent. I know the company you suggested to me starts with a W forgetthe name, my cat loves it and they have fish ingredients, only thing my sister said is its made in Thailand so you really dont know what is going on in TL they use a lot of Cats dogs and people prisoner parts in animal food and very inhumane to animals in general that is why i was going to consider trying this

Old 06-14-2012, 05:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,679,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
only thing my sister said is its made in Thailand so you really dont know what is going on in TL they use a lot of Cats dogs and people prisoner parts in animal food and very inhumane to animals in general that is why i was going to consider trying this
To be frank, that's a lot of crap. Or if it happens, it may be happening in some substandard stuff that is only sold in Thailand. A lot of food for human consumption (mostly fish), including consumption in the US, is also produced in Thailand, including in the same plant that Weruva makes the cat food. I'm assuming that's the brand you're talking about.

Weruva - People Food for Pets - Tid Bits

Personally I trust that plant in Thailand for food safety more than some parts of the food chain in the US. It's good to go for US and British HUMAN standards; the British standard is way higher than the US anyway.

There may be some issues with Thai fishing as far as sustainable practices. But not safety.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:49 AM

Potatoes are the second ingredient in the grain free

Quote:
Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Chicken, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Potato Protein, White Fish Meal, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Chicory Root, Salt, Whey, Cranberries, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, a-Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Niacin, Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Riboflavin Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Lecithin, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Parsley Flakes, Kelp Meal, DLMethionine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Inositol.
Super Premium Health Food for Cats | Flint River Ranch

The hair ball formula is loaded with corn and other grains

I wouldn't feed either to my cats even if they weren't way over priced.

Yes the canned food brand, Weruva, is made in Thailand. It does not contain cats and dogs or other things and they make the food with "human grade" ingredients in human food processing plants.

There are grain free canned foods made in USA, if you prefer that. You don't have to go back to dry food just because you don't want to feed Weruva!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 AM

You know what gets me most in that ingredient list for the Flint River, more than the potato? "Natural flavor" Why the heck does it need that, and something so generic that they only call it "natural flavor"?

If you need to feed dry food for some reason, I would choose a different one. I still do feed some, because I don't think Amber would eat enough without it, because she spent 13 years eating only dry food and the cat is stubborn. The ones I'm using after a fair amount of consideration are Wysong Epigen and Nature's Logic. I mix them together.

But if your cat happily eats enough canned food, I wouldn't bother with any dry. If you want more good canned food choices there are others, and it's a good idea to use different kinds if possible and not too much fish if possible. Sometimes it can be hard to get the cat to eat different kinds, or at least that's what I personally find so far.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,012,925 times
Quote:

They traded one starch/sugar/carbohydrate for another. Same difference.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
To be frank, that's a lot of crap. Or if it happens, it may be happening in some substandard stuff that is only sold in Thailand. A lot of food for human consumption (mostly fish), including consumption in the US, is also produced in Thailand, including in the same plant that Weruva makes the cat food. I'm assuming that's the brand you're talking about.

Weruva - People Food for Pets - Tid Bits

Personally I trust that plant in Thailand for food safety more than some parts of the food chain in the US. It's good to go for US and British HUMAN standards; the British standard is way higher than the US anyway.

There may be some issues with Thai fishing as far as sustainable practices. But not safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
You know what gets me most in that ingredient list for the Flint River, more than the potato? "Natural flavor" Why the heck does it need that, and something so generic that they only call it "natural flavor"?

If you need to feed dry food for some reason, I would choose a different one. I still do feed some, because I don't think Amber would eat enough without it, because she spent 13 years eating only dry food and the cat is stubborn. The ones I'm using after a fair amount of consideration are Wysong Epigen and Nature's Logic. I mix them together.

But if your cat happily eats enough canned food, I wouldn't bother with any dry. If you want more good canned food choices there are others, and it's a good idea to use different kinds if possible and not too much fish if possible. Sometimes it can be hard to get the cat to eat different kinds, or at least that's what I personally find so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
They traded one starch/sugar/carbohydrate for another. Same difference.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
I am not sure if potatos is the second ingredent. I know the company you suggested to me starts with a W forgetthe name, my cat loves it and they have fish ingredients, only thing my sister said is its made in Thailand so you really dont know what is going on in TL they use a lot of Cats dogs and people prisoner parts in animal food and very inhumane to animals in general that is why i was going to consider trying this
Weruva has quite a few flavors that do not contain any fish or grains, or even any fruits and veggies. I don't feed it exclusively, I don't recommend feeding any food exclusively.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Weruva has quite a few flavors that do not contain any fish or grains, or even any fruits and veggies. I don't feed it exclusively, I don't recommend feeding any food exclusively.
They are pretty much all chicken though, plus the one beef one. Still, if that works, it's good stuff. Nothing to be afraid of as far as its Thailand production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats