Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 06:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,907 times

Advertisements

My cat is becoming more of a problem when I take her to get her nails clipped. I`ve been taking her to the vet for over a year now to get them clipped and the veternarian does it. This last time she went even more balistic hissing ,growling, and screaming. She scratched the vet and they had to get a towel(to wrap around her) with 3 people holding her down.I`m not sure what to do about this. I`m thinking of having her sedated next time. One of us is usually in the room when they clip and that still doesn`t calm her down. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
I do it at home to avoid the stress of a trip. I sit the cat on my lap, like a baby, holding the clippers in my right hand and the cat's paw in my left hand. I gently extend the claws and clip. I cradle their body with my arm as they are sitting on my lap. I won't say they are happy about it but they let me do it.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:55 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,173 times
We do our cats at home as well. Cats are very tempermental and do not like change. Get a pair of cat clippers and try it. One of our cats is not very nice and it takes my husband and I to hold her and clip them.
Good Luck!

Old 12-26-2009, 04:45 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,927 times
Get a large towel and wrap them up like a tortilla, with just barely their head sticking out. And pet their little head and talk to them, and coo, and tell them it doesn't hurt, and then pull the little paw out you want to clip the nails on and clip them. There's nothing they can do about it because they can't move. You can hug them between paws and talk to them. Eventually they get used to it, and the towel is just a cue, but still use the towel just in case.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Don't know if anyone has tried this product but I happened to catch an ad on TV the other week about a scratching post which I guess is covered with an emery-type material which blunts the nails as the cats scratch on it.

As far as sedating your cat is concerned, I'd leave that decision up to the vet. And given that your cat is reacting this way I wouldn't go the towel route and do it myself. I've had many a most docile cat do a Houdini out of a tightly wrapped towel and with teeth and claws in shredding mode! Good luck!

Old 12-26-2009, 06:15 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,381 times
The product you're asking about is called 'Emery Cat'. I Googled Emery Cat Reviews, and found that many folks are getting double billed for the product, and many have to wait months for it to arrive. Some reviewers just didn't like the product. Research it.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
The product you're asking about is called 'Emery Cat'. I Googled Emery Cat Reviews, and found that many folks are getting double billed for the product, and many have to wait months for it to arrive. Some reviewers just didn't like the product. Research it.
So often happens with these TV-advertised products. I don't need it myself as mine are all indoor/outdoor moggies whose claws don't need to be clipped - it just sounded like a good idea at the time. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats