Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:45 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any recommendations for pet insurance? Is it or isn't it worth it?

After I get a job, I'll have insurance on myself and I'd like to get some for my furkid, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 05:35 AM

18,053 posts, read 15,653,675 times
Depends on the details of the plan and the age of the pet. I found it wasn't worth it in my case as I would be paying $500/yr in premiums with lots of exclusions for my dog.

It's possible pet insurance plans have improved in the years since I made this decision, but it's all in the details of the plan as to whether it will make sense in your case.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:43 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,665 times
It all depends but whatever you do, read the fine print about exclusions carefully.

We've never had pet insurance and I sincerely doubt we ever will - for us there's never been any value in it because we have generally healthy animals.

My sister has it and for her it's been very good value.

An alternative is to put some money into a special savings account (i.e. what you'd pay in premiums). That way it's you can have a bit of cushion in the event of a big bill, but if your pet(s) never need it (fingers crossed! ) then at least YOU still have it and not some insurance company.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:15 PM

First, I need a job. I've been on unemployment for a year, and it's gotten really old! the USN has referred my resume out for seven jobs, so I'm hoping that I get one of them. Then my furkid can go the vet, and I can get my dental work done. He might need dental work too.......

Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
Most pet insurance policies don't cover the very things you would want covered--pre-existing conditions, congenital or hereditary defects, chronic or long-term conditions, conditions common to the breed (such as bloat or hip dysplasia). Those policies that do cover these things are usually super expensive, oftentimes hundreds a month, and generally it is financially advantageous to just put that same amount in a savings account and use it when your pet needs it, rather than give it to an insurance company that may or may not cover your pet when the time comes.

Keep in mind too, pretty much all policies require that you pay for the care upfront, then submit receipts for reimbursement. And they rarely cover 'senior' pets, which most define as aged 6 or older (despite the fact that this is barely middle-aged in either cats or dogs). Oftentimes they won't cover rescued pets whose health origins are unknown. And like human insurance, policies usually have waiting periods after enrollment, during which no expenses will be reimbursed.

Since you are unemployed, you might want to talk to your local ASPCA about low-income assistance resources for veterinary care.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:00 PM

All that's here is low cost spay and neutering. If a person is on Social Security or SSI, of which I'm not, there may be some assistance. I'll be taking him in next month anyway. I'm waiting for my lump fund retirement check from the school district, so as soon as it comes, I'm making his appointment.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:08 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,485,603 times
I am disabled (limited income) and fear vet bills! I spoke to my Vet's assistance about pet insurance for a young, healthy cat. She said that in her experience it wasn't worth it due to exclusions. Years later, I met someone whose insurance came through for thousands of dollars of medical expenses for his cat. He did tell me that he had to pay ALL costs upfront, that the insurance co. delayed in reimbursement, and that he was never 100% certain that they would pay the medical expenses. In other words, you have to have the money available even with insurance.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:39 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
In other words, you have to have the money available even with insurance.
This is an important point. Most of the pet care insurance companies will pay a portion *after the fact*. You submit the documentation to insurance and they'll send you a check.

I am not interested in pet insurance, because I have a friend who's used several companies over the years for his dogs. He never knows how much they will reinburse him, or IF they will reimburse. You spend years paying the premiums and may only get a fraction of medical costs paid for.

I have money from each paycheck go into direct deposit, in a separate pet savings account. This account is used for cat medical bills only. I've done this for many years and it's worked well.

Old 01-27-2023, 11:12 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
I was going to start a thread asking about this myself. Does anyone here have it, or recommend any companies? Not worried about preventitive care or small bills. But there's a thread on Retirement that mentions a cat's surgery was going to cost $18,000. That's the kind of bill that worries me, and I do not want finances to be a factor if we ever have to make choices regarding her end of life. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2023, 12:39 PM

129 posts, read 107,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I was going to start a thread asking about this myself. Does anyone here have it, or recommend any companies? Not worried about preventitive care or small bills. But there's a thread on Retirement that mentions a cat's surgery was going to cost $18,000. That's the kind of bill that worries me, and I do not want finances to be a factor if we ever have to make choices regarding her end of life. Thanks!
I have Lemonade. I haven't had to file a claim yet but they had the lowest premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats