Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:41 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times

Advertisements

My female cat really only seems to like dry food. She LOVES the indoor Royal Canin brand so much that it's more or less turned her off from can food. I've tried all different types of brands, except the market cheap brands like Friskees, Whiskas, etc. I want to give her higher-end healthier food. The shelter gave her Science Diet, so she seems to still eat SD can food. Thing is, I heard about the recall from a few years ago, and I read that it uses a lot of meat fillers. I heard that isn't very good for cats. She also seems to eat Weruva more than the other brands, which I know is more natural and more healthy.

My mom says it's no big deal if I give her just dry food since she's a girl and won't develop that urine problem that boy cats can get from just a dry food diet. What do you suggest--should I just keep her on Royal Canin dry food, or also mix it in with Science Diet canned and Weruva canned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My female cat really only seems to like dry food. She LOVES the indoor Royal Canin brand so much that it's more or less turned her off from can food. I've tried all different types of brands, except the market cheap brands like Friskees, Whiskas, etc. I want to give her higher-end healthier food. The shelter gave her Science Diet, so she seems to still eat SD can food. Thing is, I heard about the recall from a few years ago, and I read that it uses a lot of meat fillers. I heard that isn't very good for cats. She also seems to eat Weruva more than the other brands, which I know is more natural and more healthy.

My mom says it's no big deal if I give her just dry food since she's a girl and won't develop that urine problem that boy cats can get from just a dry food diet. What do you suggest--should I just keep her on Royal Canin dry food, or also mix it in with Science Diet canned and Weruva canned?
~~~~~~~~~~
Only the high end dry foods have any real nutrition. The better canned foods are more appropriate for cats which are obligate carnivores. Urine problems have nothing to do with it. You can feed your cat well and correctly now or pay the vet later. Avoid all foods that contain corn, barley, wheat and other grain fillers. These do not nourish cats. These sites may help:

Feline nutrition information: Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi
History of dry food (a must-read article): Cat Nutrition.Org (http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php - broken link)
Feline Nutrition
Raw Fed Cats

Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 AM

So what do you suggest as far as can food? Just feed her Royal Canin, or feed her that along with Science diet?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:53 AM

41,944 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Our cats also have a preference for dry food. We offer them canned food every day, but they don't usually eat it. *sigh*

Anyway, we give them Blue Buffalo dry food, and have plenty of water dishes throughout the house. With ice cubes, which seem to tempt their little noses -- they nudge the cubes around the dish while they drink. Great fun.

Feed your cat the best food you can afford. If it's to be dry, so be it; make sure she gets plenty of water.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:43 AM

698 posts, read 2,840,615 times
The preference for dry food is mainly an acquired taste. They seem to get used to the crunchy texture. Our Miss Sally was like that. I was sure she would NEVER eat wet. I had resigned myself to feeding her dry so I bought Natural Balance Duck and Pea (which is a high priced anti-allergic recipe) and hoped that she drank enough water in between meals.

In the hopes of switching her to wet, I stopped free feeding and started giving it only at specific meal times. One day she threw it up (undigested) and the next day she ate her first bowl of wet food!

I do agree that it's best to feed brands like Wellness if you can afford it. Your mom is right about males being more prone to urinary tract issues but I have come to understand that wet is best for both genders.

A pat on the back for being a good cat parent!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:04 AM

I tried giving her Wellness, but she ate absolutely nothing! do you think I should keep giving her the same high-end brand for a few days to see if she gets used to it? I give can food everyday at about 5pm.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Science diet is not a what most cat lovers consider a 'good' food. The shelter gave you the food because they get it 'free' from Science diet in hopes you will buy it. Same thing with vets.. they recommend it because they get free food for the clinic.

I suggest you read the label and buy the ones that have meat listed as the first ingredients. I have a diabetic cat and I have to be very careful with her diet. I feed her Fancy feast but only the ones that have no wheat glutten. She also had a problem eating Wellness, I think it was too rich for her. It only affected her.. the other cats had no problem.

Females can get urinary infections it is just more common in males.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 AM

698 posts, read 2,840,615 times
Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Science diet is not a what most cat lovers consider a 'good' food. The shelter gave you the food because they get it 'free' from Science diet in hopes you will buy it. Same thing with vets.. they recommend it because they get free food for the clinic.

I suggest you read the label and buy the ones that have meat listed as the first ingredients. I have a diabetic cat and I have to be very careful with her diet. I feed her Fancy feast but only the ones that have no wheat glutten. She also had a problem eating Wellness, I think it was too rich for her. It only affected her.. the other cats had no problem.

Females can get urinary infections it is just more common in males.
Absolutely the truth Keeper! Science is sure to make 'em sick. If you are given to the occasional paranoid thoughts you might even consider that bad food makes animals sick, sick animals visit vet. Vet stays in business. I have nothing against professionals staying solvent but it sure seems more than a little hypocritical to push a bad diet. Ack!

As always, the burden is on the consumer.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 AM

Default Switched to canned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
So what do you suggest as far as can food? Just feed her Royal Canin, or feed her that along with Science diet?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The best diet for obligate carnivores like cats is a canned diet - as much meat as possible. Avoid the cheap canned foods with grains. My cats also get some raw meat. Did you read the bags? Doesn't Science diet contain grains? As I recall it does which would make it more appropriate for horses and goats than cats.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Our cats also have a preference for dry food. We offer them canned food every day, but they don't usually eat it. *sigh*

Anyway, we give them Blue Buffalo dry food, and have plenty of water dishes throughout the house. With ice cubes, which seem to tempt their little noses -- they nudge the cubes around the dish while they drink. Great fun.

Feed your cat the best food you can afford. If it's to be dry, so be it; make sure she gets plenty of water.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They're used to dry food. You can switch them to canned which is closer to their natural diet. They wont eat the canned because you are also offering them the dry food. "As long as the "candy" is there they wont eat their broccoli" as my Vet said. I was able to switch my Zephyr but it took almost a month. Start mixing a small amount of canned with the dry food and increase the amount every day. There is no excuse for keeping cats on dry foods, especially those with cheap grain filllers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats