Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 04:33 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times

Advertisements

(Day 1, attempt 1)

After many dealings with the Feral Friends organization when they helped me voluntarily and at no charge, with finding and trapping little moo when she went missing... I finally found a store today that sold them!! The one thing it is lacking (that my rental one had, before it was returned) was a secondary "back door" that could be opened with a release. It's not vital, it was a LOT EASIER putting food in the rental one, due to the backdoor, hehe.. this one is bigger, a little longer, but it will do just fine I hope!

Twice now I have seen a scared lil kitty face running away from me when I pulled into the driveway. You may remember me having mentioned the little orange and white fuzzy kitty in previous posts. I don't want to think of all the possibilities of kitties I may trap that belong to the neighbors, or are documented strays for the area or what not... I will home, vet, feed, and love whatever may come my way, God willing. I feel so strongly being pulled towards this line of work. And this is where I shall start.

Wish me luck! I came upstairs to type this as I just put it out with some yummy microwaved fresh canned kitty food on a lil plate in it. Dinner time, kitties!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 PM

I feel plain ole' silly replying to my own post. But holy cow, that didn't take long. I heard it all the way from up here. (the trap, not the kitty)

It's the little orange and white one! I brought the trap inside, and put the kity (still in the trap) into the bathroom and closed the door.. hoping that would calm it down. (a little bit of growling and hissing, and lots of trembling) (not sure whether it's a he or she yet). what now? I should have an isolation room with a litterbox, bed, foot and water, where it can hide and begin to slowly adjust... but I can't make it my room, without kicking moo and cinders out! time to call my mother and ask her advice lol.

Stay tuned

Old 02-20-2010, 05:15 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
That was fast! Let us know what your mom suggests.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:15 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Yay! Another cat adventure story to follow. I'll be looking forward to the updates.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
A little bit of advice on trapping. Don't put the food IN the trap. Take a small paper plate or even half a one, mash up some sardines and place the plate under the trap where the food can squeeze up through the mesh. Can't take credit for the idea someone else taught us but at our regional feral cat clinic we TNR'd over 2,000 cats in just under two years.

Sadly the program came to an end because the one thing we could not do was manage to get enough vets to volunteer to come help out for about 5 hours on a Sunday, just twice a year! There are close to 100 vets and it was basically just the same 4 women who came every month.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:45 PM

Whew.. opened the cage in the bathroom, and it stayed there inside for a few minutes growling at me. When it came out - it was hell unleashed! It ping ponged around the sink, tub, and cabinet for about 20 seconds (which, when you're not dressed acordingly and fearing for your skin, is a very long 20 seconds!) before it came to rest on top of the cabinet with the rubber ducky family

It took about 10 minutes of standing in the bathroom next to him, talking calmly, before I could get near him without him growling. I said a silent prayer of thankyou when I leaned in to pet him and he didn't growl or hiss or flinch away. He let me pet him allllll over without a fuss. It took a lot of guts, it was awhile before I had the courage mustered up to do this, but - draped in a towel, (after warning him and explaining what I was going to do and where we were going) I put one hand under his tummy (I begin flinching already) one hand around the other side of him (ok he's squirming around, getting upset) I lift him up and cuddle him close to me (but safely away from my face)... I'm holding my breath, because he hasn't struggled! I gently swaddle him in the towel that I had draped on me, and we proceed to very slowly come out of the bathroom, and slide into my room.

I'm calling it a he this entire time.. we won't know until later. I deposited him on my bed, where he actually jsut sat for a moment looking around - before slithering onto the floor and ducking underneath my dresser. That's ok! He's only about a foot away from the clean food and water, and litterbox combined. He can hide under there as long as he needs to before he is brave enough to venture around.

I know the procedure is to keep unknown animals away from your other pets.. but I can't kick moo out of my room. she lives in here, and only here! And they both have seen eachother, and not hissed/squabled/growled, or anything. Moo's being curious but keeping her distance. The orange tabby is just doing a lot of sighing, and blinking.

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 02-20-2010 at 06:27 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 06:56 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
If you get little scratches (how could you not?), immediately apply hand sanitizer. It will greatly reduce or eliminate the redness, itching, and swelling.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
I love your kitty stories.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Ok, what's his name? Surely by now you have a name in mind? If not, how about Popscicle? Remember the orange ones? Bless you for trying to save lives.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:32 PM

bah.. this is not a story! it's an adventure

The kitties under the bed are watchng the kitty under the dresser with great care. He's not growling when i get close.. but i'm kinda giving him his space. So are Moo and Cinders.

I wonder if I just.. shouldn't say anything to the fiancee when he comes home. Let him discover the new little one on his own? lol hmmm.

As far as names go... I have to find out whether it's a he or not! I could greatly insult him and his manhood before our relationship even begins to blossom!

He's this beautiful pumpkin pie looking color, with a white furry belly and white mitten paws, orange eyes, an offcenter white splotch on his pumpkin face (looks like whipped cream, or I'm just hungry! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats