Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times

Advertisements

After reading a lot in this forum about "Wellness" cat food, I decided to let Weasie give it a try. (For those few who don't know, Weasie is my motormouthed white-chinned gray tabby cat who will turn 18 in August.) After gulping and doing a double-take upon seeing the price for a bag of it, I of course bought one regardless 'cause nothing's too good for my Weeze.
Anyways, there were instructions on the bag which said that a cat should be eased into consuming the product - mix what s/he had been accustomed to eating with the Wellness, gradually shifting the proportions. This isn't working all that well. For as soon as I unloaded the groceries from that trip and Weasie caught a whiff of the new food (it does reek, though I couldn't perceive that through the sealed bag) it was as though I'd opened a can. She couldn't wait to sample the stuff, and devoured it with great gusto. Ever since, whenever she gets a new serving of Wellness thrown in with "the popular brand" she chows down on the Wellness and has to be coaxed into finishing the other food. What this tells me is that I probably don't have to be compulsive about ratios and can go ahead with serving only that which she enjoys and is probably better for her.
Can anybody come up with a reason why I shouldn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 09:19 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
The main reason for gradual transition is so that they don't wind up with the runs, especially when going from a very low quality food to one that is much higher. Cats may have an easier time than dogs do, I'm not sure.

So take a deep breath, open that wallet wide and give her what she loves. And be glad that you're only buying for 1 cat, not 4 to 6 large dogs plus fosters, who go through about 120 lbs a month. But the cost is worth it because any day now they ARE going to come up with the winning lottery numbers. they keep promising and I keep believing them.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:35 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
I went looking for Wellness at Petco the other day and couldn't find it anywhere. Shelves and shelves of something like.. Eukrama? help me out here.. Ekuvara? something bizzare, all about how it had " a new look ".

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if it was a Petco or a Petsmart.. I'm always getting the 2 mixed up. Where do you find yours? And how big of a gulp are we talking about? lol

Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 PM

257 posts, read 533,931 times
I bought Wellness for my kitty in the beginning.....canned, not dry. I found it at Petco & Whole Foods. I don't remember how much the dry goes for but the canned is over $1 per 5.5 oz. can. I started with Wellness & experimented with other high-protein canned foods & finally found one that works for her & is not leaving me broke.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:13 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Can anybody come up with a reason why I shouldn't?
I think Weasie's told you everything you need to know. You want to second guess Weasie? Shame on you.

Transitioning food is a must for animals with delicate digestion if you want to avoid tummy upset. Our lot, all them, have more robust constitutions... so I'm amazingly lazy about it. When they started on Wellness Core it was the old food one meal, bring home the Wellness, and started them on that the next meal. They loved it and no tummy upset.

MK - Petco carries Wellness, PetSmart does not. The biggest bag of Wellness Core is 12 lbs. I'll not mention the price.

Wellness CORE Cat Food at PETCO

Old 02-25-2010, 10:26 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Marylandkitten It was Eukanuba that you saw. It's not that great of a food.

Pretty big gulp:

I'm out in the boonies so I have to order on line from PetFoodDirect.

Wellness Indoor Healthy Cat Dry - 11.5 lbs - on sale for 32.49 PLUS Freight.

Wellness super5mix chicken dry dog food 30 lbs. - 47.49 PLUS Freight.

I switched to Canidae because it's cheaper, 36.99 for a 35 pounds and usually buy 8 to 10 bags at a time so freight is about $12 - 13 per bag for 35 lb bags.

I wait until they offer a discount, on the food, not the freight, it used to be 22% fairly often but lately it's only 17%. At the moment they've got a 25% sale through Sunday night so I'll probably order some even though I've got 4 or 5 bags on hand.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Mine LOVE Wellness and are all doing very well on it. They get mainly canned and raw food, but they love the dry as a treat, especially if I moisten it with hot water or chamomile tea. The salmon flavor in the red bag is their favorite...and boy oh boy, you're right, it does reek...lol!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Talking PetSupermarket

The only place I can find Wellness and Solid Gold is at the local PetSupermarket. I don't think this chain is as widespread as Petco and PetsMart.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
The only place I can find Wellness and Solid Gold is at the local PetSupermarket. I don't think this chain is as widespread as Petco and PetsMart.
Wow, I've never even heard of this chain...I'm jealous!

I have to drive an hour away to get the food for all my creatures, but fortunately it's a pretty drive...and they're worth it!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:03 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
MK - Petco carries Wellness, PetSmart does not. The biggest bag of Wellness Core is 12 lbs. I'll not mention the price.
Wellness CORE Cat Food at PETCO
Ahhhh!!! too late! Already clicked it! lol

Petco only.. ok. petco petco petco. I'll try to remember that one and hit it on the way to work later today. This would defiantely be the (one scoop per kitty when it's time to eat) rather than leave out for them to nibble at their leisure right?

For the most part it's been dry kibble in different bowls, different locations, to be filled when they need it - and "dinner time" is only when I bring out the canned at night. - not meaning to hijack your thread goyguy, sorry. Just thinking out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats