Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 AM

308 posts, read 680,353 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We had purchased a kitten from a breeder at a cost of $800. We had the kitten for 13 days and decided we had to return it to the breeder. The breeder's contract states that " the kitten may be returned to the seller within a 14 day period from the date buyer takes possession of the kitten for any reason whatsoever, and will be refunded the purchase price less $250."

When we returned the kitten, the breeder made no mention or effort to give us a refund. We were out the door when I decided I had to go back and ask her about the refund. She seemed surprised that I would want a refund. She said she was disappointed that we returned the kitten and that this never happens. She claimed that the only other case in which someone returned a kitten, the buyer didnt ask for a refund. Being that she has been in business for 7 years I find this hard to believe. She also said that she wouldnt try to sell the kitten we had returned to another buyer since the kitten had been rejected by us. I reminded her that the contract stipulated that the buyer would receive a refund of the purchase price minus $250 if the kitten was returned in 14 days and that we had returned the kitten on day 13. She seemed to claim ignorance of this term of the contract. We would never have agreed to this contract if there was no provision for a refund. Who in their right mind would? We had to agree to fulfill our obligations of the contract and she certainly should have to honor her side of the agreement. So now she has our $800 and the kitten. She can still place the kitten with another family if she so chooses. She became defensive and insinuated that I was calling her dishonest. All I asked her was to honor her own contract. She also made the claim that she doesnt make any money as a breeder and that she would need 2 months to refund us the $550. Maybe I'm too nice a guy, but I'm not going to allow someone to screw me either. Should I threaten to take her to court or give her time to pay the refund. What do you guys think of all of this and what can you advise me to do?

Thanks,
Gary

Old 03-08-2010, 01:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
You get no sympathy from me. How can you pay that much when so many cats and kittens are in shelters, needing homes? How can you keep an animal for almost 2 weeks and then just callously give it back? If you want to spend more good money, sue her.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:43 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,091 times
With that kind of money what kind of cat are you buying?????? Think of all the cats you could have helped out that really need it more then some stingy breeder!

Old 03-08-2010, 02:09 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
If the contract states that you can return the cat within the 14 day period with a refund, then she owes you your cash back. And yes, she is probably correct in stating she makes little to no money on her kittens. Work with her and set a time span in which she can return your money. Tell her if your refund is not returned to you by then, you will sue her.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You get no sympathy from me. How can you pay that much when so many cats and kittens are in shelters, needing homes? How can you keep an animal for almost 2 weeks and then just callously give it back? If you want to spend more good money, sue her.
I totally agree! Why didn't you go a shelter and get two kittens to keep each other company. You could have paid the adoption fee for two kittens, and donated the rest of the $800 to the shelter.

What kind of kitten did you buy for $800?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Excuse me, but I wasnt asking for your sympathy so leave your moral judgements to yourself. You have no idea why we had to return the kitten so why dont you take a hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

Old 03-08-2010, 02:59 PM

672 posts, read 5,094,437 times
I bought my cat for 1362 $ (converted from Norwegian crowns) and I don't regret it a minute. She's show quality, but she doesn't go to shows. She just stays home with me for cuddles.

It is important to go to a registered, good and reliable breeder though. I will get a shelter cat as well eventually, but I fell in love with a particular breed (we don't have PB cats in shelters here). Like some dog owners like certain breeds of dogs and not others.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:01 PM

What I do with my money is my business and I could care less what you have to say about it. If you dont have anything helpful to say then just move along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I totally agree! Why didn't you go a shelter and get two kittens to keep each other company. You could have paid the adoption fee for two kittens, and donated the rest of the $800 to the shelter.

What kind of kitten did you buy for $800?

Old 03-08-2010, 03:02 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
I take the Fifth.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:04 PM

We fell in love with the Tonkinese breed and like you, we were also going to adopt a cat from a shelter, but things didnt work out and I thought it was in the best interests of both the kitten and us to return him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
I bought my cat for 1362 $ (converted from Norwegian crowns) and I don't regret it a minute. She's show quality, but she doesn't go to shows. She just stays home with me for cuddles.

It is important to go to a registered, good and reliable breeder though. I will get a shelter cat as well eventually, but I fell in love with a particular breed (we don't have PB cats in shelters here). Like some dog owners like certain breeds of dogs and not others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats