Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:32 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times

Advertisements

A very long time ago a cat I had that ate one of her newborn kittens. The kitten was born dead and after a short time she ate it. It was not something I ever want to witness again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 12:07 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I have only seen a Mamma Cat abandon her kitten, but I have never seen one eat a kitten. Thank you for educating us!
YIKES! Noooooo. My English was poorly phrased - it should have read or been interpreted as " I've never heard of a Momma Cat eating her dead kitten." But as stated, some one has seen it, so I guess it does happen. No, it would not be something you'd want to ever have to witness. Mother dogs do it certainly, I've just never heard of it in cats.

Ref the "infanticide" - what I meant was that they will do things, one can only assume knowingly, that will cause death if a mother cat senses something wrong with the kitten. Toms will slaughter wholesale to bring the queens back into breeding (ie, in the event of a takeover by a new tom) - Mommas don't do that, but they will purposefully abandon, neglect or - as witnessed with our wee Annabelle - drag two pretty young (guess was about three weeks of age, about the time when defects would become apparent) kittens out into the open during a deluge. This particular Momma cat took them out to the middle of a yard (two separate trips), and then went to sit on a back porch, out of the wind and rain, and watch.

It was quite extraordinary - the mother cat was perfectly correct. Although an accurate diagnosis was never made on one of the two (who died shortly thereafter), Annabelle who later on came into my car was diagnosed with the most severe case of cardiomyopathy my feline vet had seen in 24 years of practice.

I've never had a cat that had kittens, but I've had other animals that have lost their young. I think the longest I've personally experienced a mother seriously pine and look for Baby was three solid days; by day four, it started to wane. Those were three very long days. Baby died and we allowed Mom to stay with her for ... must have been a good eight or so hours before we removed her. I'm not sure it made any difference one way or the other quite frankly. Mom just wasn't going to accept Baby was gone until she'd gone through whatever process she needed to go through. It was just heartbreaking.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:37 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Some of what I have witnessed with Mother Nature, is heartbreaking and so difficult to accept. There is something in some of us humans, that need to rescue, to help, to heal, and then to see a mother deliberately abandon one of her newborns, goes against all sense within us. I have a huge mother's heart, and coming to know cats as I have over the years, still don't know how these mamma cats can abandon the weak, even though I know there is a love bond there. You talk about tough love. Instinct......goes beyond our comprehension as humans. Could we ever abandon our own newborn baby knowing it was very ill? No, at least not me. I've never quite adjusted to the "cruelty" I have seen with nature, yet, as stated here in this thread, only the strong survive in the wild. And for good reason.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 AM

622 posts, read 1,723,516 times
The best thing to do is spay her, if thats just not possible even if you try a free animal control spay/neuter service, have a vet put her down... a feral cat lives a short hard life and nobuddy wants a cat that scratches people. You'll be saving untold thousends of cats from living a hard violent life and protecting home-outdoor cats from contracting deadly diseases like FIV or feline luek.

sometimes thats all we can do, but I'm sure theres a free fixing services avaible somewhere in your community. You might have to be disabled or really low income to qualfy though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats