Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 AM

299 posts, read 1,132,437 times

Advertisements

Ok, as some of you know, I lost my cat of 17 years last November. I need some feedback on new issue of adopting a cat.

The rescue lady brought her over yesterday afternoon for us to meet with her for the first time. I really liked her. She is about 2 years old and very petite (about 6 pounds). She is polydactyl with a bent tail that bends down upon itself. She almost looks like a bob tail. She has a cute personality. She is lively and curious. She has had only two people interested since she has had the kitty (about a year) because my guess she is a "special" kitty.

My surviving older male cat whom is about 13 was NOT AMUSED. I have had him for almost his entire life and the only cat he ever came into contact with was my girl that passed last November. They were never really close mainly because my deceased kitty use to smack him around a bit. Nothing major but she never let him get too close.

Now he has had the rule of the house for 6 months. He has become very close to both my husband and I. He curls right up with us constantly. He seems happy to rule the roost.

Yesterday I heard him make sounds that I have never heard. Growling, hissing and over all "back off" sounds. He is a laid back cat and not a dominant cat at all.

She was curious about him but was so into all our attention she didn't pay much attention. My husband felt horrible and kept checking on him because he was hiding in another room. I felt like I was betraying/ignoring him.

She is a scratcher and went immediately to a cheap rug we have and went to town (with all her extra toes) Since we are getting new very expensive carpet installed in our bedrooms, hopefully I can train her to only use a scratching post. Our current kitty NEVER scratches anything but his post. He is perfect!

The lady is the classic cat lady that rescues cats. She has 24 cats in her house and the kitty she brought over smelled bad... you know the kind of smell a cat would have in a house with a ton of cats?

I fed her and she INHALED the food. The lady said she was making her look bad. I didn't think she was too thin but I could also see her putting on a few pounds in this house. I asked the lady if she has to fight for her food and she said no.... it just freaked me out that the kitty ate SO MUCH very fast!

I told her I would get back to her today with an answer. She said that she wouldn't let me have the cat until the middle of the month because she was going to bring her to the vet, get her spayed, nails trimmed etc. This is good because the traumatic part of our renovations should be over by mid June.

I'm so torn. What if my male cat never warms up to her? What if he loses his "neediness" with me that I love so much. What if he is truly happy being with just us and I am upsetting the household?

My male cat was so upset that after he smelled her cage, he promptly threw up (just bile). I know it was so traumatic for him. After all, it's his house and his people.

She said I could try the kitty for a month to see how things work. That seems so tough for me. I want to take this kitty away from her smelly surroundings and I feel bad.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 11:36 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
I would take her and give her a chance.

When I adopted these 2 girls last fall the silver one hissed and slapped the brown one. I was afraid she would never accept her. It didn't take long.... look at them now:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/Lottaminya/midFeb10043a.jpg (broken link)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/Lottaminya/Feb2002.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Wow. I can understand your wanting to adopt this new cat, but if your resident cat -- who obviously enjoys being an 'only' -- made that much of a protest, his feeling are worth considering.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:42 AM

442 posts, read 965,583 times
It does take awhile to warm up. Take her, he will get used to her and they will be fine. I must have 15 cats and while only 4 live in the house, they all get along and even gang up on strays when they happen around for a meal. Oh and don't worry about the eating maybe you gave her something the other home did not and she ate like that..just curious was it soft food you gave her?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:43 AM

Is it not normal then for my kitty to protest so much? What about a trial run with this other kitty? If it's too traumatic for my little man, he comes first and I will have to send the other kitty back. His comfort is my main concern since he has urned his kingdom over the years

Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM

442 posts, read 965,583 times
If you are going to do a trial run give it more than a couple of days for them to "get along". If all else fails go for a kitten, they tend to be more easily accepted.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
It does take awhile to warm up. Take her, he will get used to her and they will be fine. I must have 15 cats and while only 4 live in the house, they all get along and even gang up on strays when they happen around for a meal. Oh and don't worry about the eating maybe you gave her something the other home did not and she ate like that..just curious was it soft food you gave her?
It was dry food at first and she inhaled it. THen I gave her wet food and she ate all of the that. I gave her Natural Balance.

I'm so worried about my main boy. He PUKED for god sake! He was so upset by the whole thing

My husband made a comment about getting a kitten and that the kitten might be more accepted.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 PM

96 posts, read 336,987 times
I'd say go ahead and give her a chance. It will take more than just a couple days for them to get used to each other. I have 2 girls and a boy. I got the boy when he was a kitten and he's now 3 years old. He had always had me and my husband to himself. I found a stray outside and took it to my mom's. Stray ended up being pregnant so mom kept her until she had the babies. Found homes for all but one. So I took the baby. Gizmo(male cat) was not happy. Baby(Priscilla) just wanted to play and Gizmo would hiss and slap her away. This went on for about a month. Now they sleep together alot and clean each other. Momma cat(Tracy) was still at my mom's and no one wanted her since she was an adult(somewhere around 2-3yrs old). So I took her in too. Tracy and Gizmo were constantly hissing and slapping. Eventually Gizmo got used to her after a couple months. Tracy still doesn't let Gizmo get close but otherwise is tolerant of him. They are even starting to play. Everyone chases each other from one end of the house to the other. Before the girls, Gizmo slept with us every night in bed. When each girl came, he would get mad that they get in bed with us also and he would leave. Eventually they all came to terms with each other and now each has their own spot they picked on our bed. Gizmo is back to being his happy, lazy self.

The main thing you have to do is show the older cat attention and love. Once he realizes that you still belong to him(which I admit it, my cats own me), eventually he will become tolerant. And after that, who knows. They may become best friends and he'll take her under his wing. And get separate litter boxes and food dishes. That way he'll still feel like he has his own stuff and doesn't have to share everything with new kitty. Another thing I did was get kitty treats. Sit down in the middle of the floor. One on each side and let them see that they are both special enough for treats.

As for the throwing up, when Tracy first came, Gizmo was very upset and threw up a couple times. Picked him up. Took him in a different room and sat and held him. Kept telling him it's okay and that he was my good Gizmo. He just needed reassurance. He's a momma's boy!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
If you want to share your life with another cat, I would definitely give it a try. I know it took my cats months to get comfortable with my dog I adopted, so I imagine it would take the same amount of time with another cat. Good luck with your decision!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:12 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
I would certainly give it a try.

Our pets, being our spoiled sweeties, are not always willing to welcome newcomers. But they have generous souls and eventually get used to the new ones.

Give it a try, I know dogs and cats are very different, but I did get new dogs and had very attached ones at home; they ended up getting along well. I did not regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats