Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:16 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,634,684 times

Advertisements

I don't think this movie is in wide release yet only special screenings. I have lost respect for Meryl Streep over this portrayal (hack job) of someone living and suffering from dementia.....sad. Somehow, it just seems so wrong to me. I have read where there are many fictionalized scenes in the movie, I guess to make a point. Also, my understanding has always been that her husband was devoted to her and supported her completely in her efforts. They had a mutual love affair. I am sure others will disagree but, it just seems unfair to me.

Quote:
LONDON — Oscar-winning actress Meryl Streep was accused of cashing in on former PM Margaret Thatcher in her movie portrayal of the former British prime minister as a frail and lonely figure suffering from dementia.
“The Iron Lady,” a new biopic starring Streep, 62, as Thatcher, was described as “rubbish” and an “insult” by friends and family of the 86-year-old former leader....snip.....
Read more: Thatcher friends rip Meryl Streep portrayal - NYPOST.com

another piece:
Norman Tebbit: 'This is not the Margaret Thatcher I knew' - Telegraph
Quote:
What was it like to work for Margaret Thatcher? What sort of woman was she at the height of her powers? You might think that if you were setting out to make a so-called “biopic” about such a dominant figure on the political stage of the late 20th century, your researchers would have sought out those who were closest to her in those years and asked them....snip..

another perspective:

Quote:
Did Denis really beg her to put family first and think no more of political leadership? That wasn't the Denis we thought we saw - up-and-at-'em and fiercely proud of her at every step. Was she always sure she was right and would prevail? Not all who worked with her would say so.
Quote:
But then again, maybe we were wrong. And anyway pace, simplicity, an epic quality, are what's required. We do not cavil at the failure of the Bayeux Tapestry to capture all the ambiguities of the story it celebrates. The central truth is what matters.
In what looks from these clips like a magnificent performance, Meryl Streep grasps and projects one great central truth about Thatcher. With her it was in for a penny, in for a pound...snip...
eta: this may be should have gone in the movie section. I think could go either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 10:16 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
I'm surprised that anyone is interested enough in Thatcher to make a movie about her.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:24 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
so Meryl Streep is getting ripped on for accepting a paying role?
She,herself, didn't write the script---right?
So basically she is doing what she does--act.

The entire over analytical aspect of it is ridiculous.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Sounds awful. Another slap down of women who do anything out of the ordinary. I hope it goes straight to DVD.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:37 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,634,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
so Meryl Streep is getting ripped on for accepting a paying role?
She,herself, didn't write the script---right?
So basically she is doing what she does--act.

The entire over analytical aspect of it is ridiculous.
Not to the people who feel it is essentially a smackdown of a person who is living and incapable of defending herself. Why do we usually do these kinds of less than complimentay jobs (books, expose, movies, commentaries) after the person is dead. Some good form and honor involved here.

I don't agree with everything Thatcher did but, she stood strong in her convictions and showed a woman could do the job, essentially in a male dominated environment.

Quite a bit of the movie is fictional, down right untrue and basically unflattering.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
Has OP actually SEEN this movie? enough to give a review/opinion of it... just wondering.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:27 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Not to the people who feel it is essentially a smackdown of a person who is living and incapable of defending herself. Why do we usually do these kinds of less than complimentay jobs (books, expose, movies, commentaries) after the person is dead. Some good form and honor involved here.

I don't agree with everything Thatcher did but, she stood strong in her convictions and showed a woman could do the job, essentially in a male dominated environment.

Quite a bit of the movie is fictional, down right untrue and basically unflattering.

when did you see the movie?
Please do reveal the relevant untruths; specifically the ones that so offend you.
Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 08:02 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm surprised that anyone is interested enough in Thatcher to make a movie about her.
LOL....I so agree!

It did surprise me when I saw the movie made regarding the Queen that she and Thatcher were such enemies. That particular part of it may make the movie interesting....not sure about the rest.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
So far as I know Maggie Thatcher had suffered a series of strokes. She cannot speak but is thoroughly alert and does not have dementia.

I cannot pass judgment on a film that I have not seen, but I do think it should concentrate on her time in office and how she turned the economy around. Spending much time on her ailment, especially while she is still above ground, would seem in very bad taste.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm totally surprised that you're surprised but then maybe you're not very interested in history where world politics are concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities