Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 PM

717 posts, read 647,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
The only shocking thing about this is that people in 2013 still believe it is possible to make a pact with the devil
Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
that's right LindavG,....you have to even believe in satan and all that...

Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
And to think, so far, every really evil deed on this planet have been committed by those who believed in some version of god!

Stalin was an atheist, yet he slaughtered millions of his own people. How do you explain that?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,946 times
Stop giving these 'Celebs' hits and clicks and they will go away.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
Stalin was an atheist, yet he slaughtered millions of his own people. How do you explain that?
He can't.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:18 PM

580 posts, read 964,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Can someone tell me please. . . What is so appealing about this woman? Is it her weirdness that people love?
She appeals to me because I personally like her weirdness. While it is sometimes taken to annoying extremes I think it's commendable that she wants to be an individual especially in this crazy world of conformity and groupthink. I also think her music seems rhythmic and dance-able. However, what put me over the top was her duet with Tony Bennett. That was the coolest.

As for wanting to be friends with her or date her, um...way too weird for my taste. I'd go strictly fan/celebrity relationship with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I find the whole thing about the Illuminati and what conspiracy theorists say about it and the entertainment industry makes very interesting psychology. It seems like it's human nature to mythologize and make heroes and villains out of people we like and despise. It's another way to give us control over things beyond our control.

Knowing that there is some evil force out there trying to harm us and us giving it a name makes it easier to explain away and maybe even confront it just like knowing a force for good is out there trying to stop the forces of evil makes things more comfortable and easier to deal with. We create our monsters and supermen and we call on the supermen to go out and fight the monsters that are causing us trouble.

Our celebrities and politicians have replaced the old Greek gods and goddesses. Instead of Zeus galavanting with various consorts we now have Tiger woods and his prostitute (or whoever he slept with) and Clinton with his Monica Lewinski (Probably spelled wrong). We become so enamored with these public figures that we worship them. Of course it should be remembered that, like those gods of the myths, they are not perfect and they say something that make them human.

As for Lady Gaga using Illuminati signs and saying she worships the devil, it's all an act for the fans. For many people those poses and the symbols they wear are all part of a fashion statement.

In other cases, such as the guy in the video, people like to make stuff up about others. I hope to someday become so famous and well known that people will make stuff up about me. (not just this little conspiracy theory stuff but the big larger-than-life-Disney's-frozen-head urban legends stuff.)

Of course this is all one guy's opinion.

Last edited by tonylu; 03-09-2013 at 10:41 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 AM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
I often felt there was a very thin line between evil and insanity.
He could have been straight up insane. How could anyone know for sure? How does anyone know he was an atheist?
I don't practice any religion but it doesn't automatically mean I am an atheist or this or that. I loath all the labeling.

It is not like I worked with the guy for years or hang out at Starbucks and had many long chats...

Old 03-10-2013, 04:38 AM

I know Wikipedia isn't the best source but, according to the article about Stalin, he subscribed to Lenin's ideas about religion being something that stood in the way of Communism so he was an atheist.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:03 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,241,571 times
Quote:
Stalin was only able to do what he did because those below him deified him and followed his orders without questioning. Stalin himself never slaughtered anyone, he had others to do the dirty work for him. In Soviet Russia, portraits of Stalin hung on people's walls, songs were sung in his praise, streets and buildings were named after him and a massive propaganda machine was at work to make Stalin appear superhuman. Any criticism of him was considered 'blasphemous' and taken care of - hence the slaughter of so many people. Stalin outlawed traditional religion because it was mere competition to him; he wanted people's unquestioned devotion and loyalty and conflicting religious views might get in the way of that. The Soviet Union may have been officially atheist, its people (or at least the vast majority of them) were most definitely religious. Hundreds of millions of people don't just convert to atheism overnight. They simply replaced one dogma with the other and changed the object of their worship. That is why today, even after decades of state atheism, Russia is one of the more religious countries in Europe. When the Soviet Union fell and the popular perception of Stalin (and other communist leaders) changed, people went right back to their old religious beliefs, which is a much smaller leap than going from atheism to religion.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:55 AM

It's kind of ironic. Stalin and his government officials didn't like religion and yet they deified themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities