Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 03:46 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Lena Horne never passed as white. She was active as a black entertainer from the age of 16.
Very true. However, she didn't look white to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
The existence of the rumors prove the social distaste for everything African-American in America's past. People only start rumors about what would be scandalous if proven true.

But I doubt any of those people had any black ancestors within a hundred years of them. Some had Indian, Latino, or Mediterranean ancestors, or were actually such themselves....being anything other than white was disadvantageous.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
No. Lena Horne never passed for white. However, her managers wanted her to, but she refused.
Good. I'm glad she refused, I admired her, she was a strong and beautiful woman. My mom looks a lot like her, same beautiful complexion, eyes, hair and smile, she also strongly resembles Dorothy Dandridge, another strong beautiful woman as is my mother. My mom's dad (my grandfather) was African, my grandmother (her mother) was French.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:59 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
It's true. Lena Horne's management wanted to pass her off as white. She did refuse, and this affected her movie career badly. Except for very few films like 'Cabin In The Sky', Lena's roles were always walk on's, generally a song. These could be removed easily for Southern audiences. She desperately wanted the role of Julie in the movie 'Showboat' in 1951. She was perfect for the part..... it could have been written for her. MGM lost their nerve, and gave the part to Ava Gardner, who couldn't even sing. This gorgeous woman should have been a major movie star, but it wasn't to be.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:37 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Nobody mentioned Babe Ruth?

Gosh that man looks so biracial!

What about Raquel Welch(didn't know she was from South America?

Even nowadays we have some who try to pass as white(Vin Diesal)

Old 03-01-2014, 09:17 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
There is no evidence that Babe Ruth had any immediate black ancestry, although even in his day people noted his appearance and hurled racial epithets his way. Considering the racial climate of the day, I seriously doubt Ruth would have been able to pass as white if anyone could have discovered otherwise.

The fact is, outward "racial" characteristics are such a genetic roll of the dice that any child could spuriously reveal fuller lips, a broader nose, et cetera, even many generations later. That's why this can happen.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is no evidence that Babe Ruth had any immediate black ancestry, although even in his day people noted his appearance and hurled racial epithets his way. Considering the racial climate of the day, I seriously doubt Ruth would have been able to pass as white if anyone could have discovered otherwise.

The fact is, outward "racial" characteristics are such a genetic roll of the dice that any child could spuriously reveal fuller lips, a broader nose, et cetera, even many generations later. That's why this can happen.
They are so cute! And they do look alike even though their coloring is different.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Gosh that man looks so biracial!
Babe was one of the few major leaguers that would play against the negro leagues allstars in the off season!

Old 01-02-2016, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,362 times
Are you kidding me, trying to labels these actors African/black descents are just lutechrist : Ava Gardner, Tom Sizemore, Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Heather Locklear, Elvis Presley, Mae West, Marilyn Monroe, Frank Silvera, Angelina Jolie, Denise Richards, Ina Ray Hutton, Jayne Mansfield, Dorothy Lamour, Loni Anderson, Joan Bennett, Humphrey Bogart, and Pernell Roberts being of African/black descent.
Labeling those people is a scandal and whoever wrote this is trying to pull a fast one on everyone and discredit these people. I happen to know 2 of these people. One was raised with one of my friends and sure isn't of african decent. If you bothered to look up and researched you would have found out that Pernell Roberts is of Spanish decent. And Marilyn,--- lily white and blonde.hahaha, what a joke . Obviously you have a need to be mean and vicious and spew garbage as you are not happy with your self.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
There are many who had to hide it, but nowadays post JLO I don't think it is as important.

I don't think White Hispanics have a hard time being accepted- ironically though, they do have a hard time playing Latino characters since Hollywood wants to keep the stereotype alive of what a Latino is supposed to look like. For example they made Sofia Vergara dye her naturally blonde hair dark to (appear more Latina).

Recently they have been writing in Latina characters that were unscripted for actresses such as Karla Souza (How to Get Away with Murder) and Alanna Ubach (Girlfriends Guide to Divorce).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities