Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

More and more we hear that eye witnesses are not reliable because of distorted memories. Science has a lot to say about this.

Is It Possible To 'Misremember' Getting Shot Out Of The Sky? A Scientific Exploration | ThinkProgress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 01:09 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
I must admit much as I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt -- I don't see how you MIS-remember something as harrowing as that.

EITHER -- you damned well remember it because your shopper WAS indeed hit....and you're crapping your pants.
OR -- you damned well remember it because your chopper was ALMOST hit -- but thank God it wasn't -- and you thank Jesus, your ancestors, or any God you believe in-- because it could have been your chopper. Youd don't forget a close call like that.

ALso I don't go around lying about stuff usually -- but when I DO lie -- it's sure as hell not about stuff -- where SEVERAL other people were there and could even dispute it -- let alone disPROVE it. Why would he lie about something that could be PROVEN UNtrue. I don't get it.

Either your chopper was hit or it wasn't...either it landed hard after being it or it didn't.
Could he have THOUGHT the chopper was hit. The pilot landed hard to get out of the way of fire?

Which brings me back to maybe he really did think what he was saying was true. Because he's NOT a stupid person. He's not dumb enough to INTENTIONALLY lie about something on national TV, that factually could be disproven by SEVERAL other people.....is he?

(He told the same version of things on David Letter man a couple of years ago.)

Old 02-07-2015, 04:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I'm a real fan so I'm willing to giv ehim the benefit of the doubt but it surely does look bad. Saw an interview with the navigator of the chopper which was hit and he said Williams's chopper landed AT LEAST half an hour AFTER his did-which means he probably wasn't anywhere near the one which was hit- and that when Williams did land he got off the chopper, looked around and then combed his hair. Well headgear and choppers all mean messy hair but it was obvious the navigator was putting Williams down.

Williams says during Katrina he was in a hotel in New Orleans (French Quarter)and he looked out the window to see a dead body floating face down and others are saying the French Quarter did not have that kind of flooding. I'm sure more stories will be upcoming. Some of his colleagues are supporting...like Dan Rather and some are throwing him under the bus. Either way his reputation has taken a hit. I hope it doesn't tank him.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:08 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
He was making up stories to benefit his career. Make people see him as the intrepid pioneer of journalism by how many times he was in harms way or witnessed monumental things. While I am sure many on location journalists often have this happen there is a difference between it happening and it not happening. Being shot down in helicopter is not something you "Mis-remmeber". The military personnel could have confirmed if a hit was taken.

As a person who reports things to the public, This is very damaging to his reputation. Anymore tall tales come out and it will end his career I think. The public can be forgiving many times and I hope this is the only story.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:36 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Harrowing experiences are among those that people remember least accurately.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:43 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Sounds like Williams story might be exceedingly harrowing...

Quote:
...the navigator of the chopper which was hit and he said Williams's chopper landed AT LEAST half an hour AFTER his
Sounds like Williams' story comes in just a bit less than the 'least accurate' classification.

And as we're discussing Williams in the 'Celebrities' section, I would wonder in whose mind?

Old 02-07-2015, 06:59 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Some of his colleagues are supporting...like Dan Rather .
IIRC, Dan Rather's career pretty much ended on a credibility issue as well.

Unfortunately, what passes for TV journalism most of the time is not based on professionalism & veracity--it depends more on good hair & ratings. I'm a little dismayed by Brian Williams, but not particularly surprised.
I think he should, perhaps, be moved to a less "public" position, at least if NBC wants to retain any semblance of a "news" program.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:14 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
To think he wouldn't be fact checked, and be a journalist, too. What's wrong with him?

Old 02-07-2015, 10:35 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default He lied, obviously

I think what he did, was inexcusable, and he should be fired. He's a liar, and did so for personal gain and credibility. No excuses.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:39 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Really? My personal experience says the opposite. My most vivid memories of the Navy involve events that were traumatic. What he did was embellish his stories to make it more personal and more entertaining. Some guys who served in the military do this as well, especially if they didn't really have any exciting stories of their own. Generally, when one tells a fine exciting combat story, some or all of the story is total BS. Veterans who've really seen action don't usually bother with much embellishment. The truth wasn't exciting and didn't include him at all. Guess he didn't want to repeat the part about him and his cameraman acting like a bunch of vultures circling a dead animal trying to get pictures for their story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities