Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 07:04 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,559 times

Advertisements

Today at the grocery store I saw one of those tabloids with a story on their front page about Angelina Jolie spending time in a psych ward. No I didn't read the actual story but it does have me wonder...are celebrities immune from those health privacy laws ?? In the past I heard both yes and no. I do remember way back in 1982 when Frank Bonner from TV's WKRP in Cincinnati had spent some time at the hospital in my hometown due to a foot injury. Why within the hour just about everyone in town knew he was there.....and the reason why he was there in the first place. Even the guy on the radio that night had dedicated a song to him hoping for the best. Something tells me this could never happen today unless celebrities are immune from HIPPA.

Wasn't there a famous actor from the past where a tabloid had his blood checked for AIDS only to come back as HIV+ ?? If memory serves he didn't know he had HIV until he had read about it in the tabloids.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:23 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
I don't think they are immune from HIPAA. But I think that there are those who will "leak" information on celebrities for a little chunk o' change. Not a healthcare professional who could lose their license, but maybe a visitor or minimum wage employee with nothing to lose. I think the celebrities themselves sometimes leak items for publicity.

A lot of those tabloid stories are "embellished" or "fictionalized", but some are true or at least based on a few facts.

I wonder if you are remembering Rock Hudson. He was certainly aware of his diagnosis, but evidently his coworkers/actors were not. At the time, little was understood about transmission of the virus, and there was a big dust up after it was learned he had a kissing scene with an uninformed actress. I seem to recall it was Linda Evans in Dynasty, but I might be wrong.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:03 AM

862 posts, read 1,197,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I wonder if you are remembering Rock Hudson. He was certainly aware of his diagnosis, but evidently his coworkers/actors were not. At the time, little was understood about transmission of the virus, and there was a big dust up after it was learned he had a kissing scene with an uninformed actress. I seem to recall it was Linda Evans in Dynasty, but I might be wrong.
No it wasn't Rock Hudson as I seem to remember this being in the early to mid 1990's but thanks.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:25 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,420,847 times
I work for a rehab in their transportation department bringing patients in and out for treatment. I and even outside contractors who do work on campus are subject to HIPPA. Only employees are allowed to have cell phones on the property beyond the parking lot.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:40 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act

HIPAA ... Not HIPPA.

One P, two As

Old 12-05-2016, 05:24 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
Today at the grocery store I saw one of those tabloids with a story on their front page about Angelina Jolie spending time in a psych ward. No I didn't read the actual story but it does have me wonder...are celebrities immune from those health privacy laws ?? In the past I heard both yes and no. I do remember way back in 1982 when Frank Bonner from TV's WKRP in Cincinnati had spent some time at the hospital in my hometown due to a foot injury. Why within the hour just about everyone in town knew he was there.....and the reason why he was there in the first place. Even the guy on the radio that night had dedicated a song to him hoping for the best. Something tells me this could never happen today unless celebrities are immune from HIPPA.

Wasn't there a famous actor from the past where a tabloid had his blood checked for AIDS only to come back as HIV+ ?? If memory serves he didn't know he had HIV until he had read about it in the tabloids.

Health Insurance Portablity and Accountability Act, was passing in 1996 and covers *EVERYONE* who seeks/has healthcare in the USA.

Problem is when it comes to medical records far too many persons have often have access, thus tracking down who or whom "leaked" private information can be difficult. This access applied back in the days of paper charts/medical records and still is pretty much the same with electronic. However with the latter places have begun/tried to tighten things up. This can and often does come out of fears of being sued or fined when a breach comes to light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health...untability_Act

In many hospitals today only nurses and other licensed professionals are allowed access to patients charts. Previously anyone from nursing assistants to various other aides, techs and unlicensed assistant personnel could enter/look up information from a chart. Again while this is not universal, it is becoming the norm.

With electronic/computer records systems can (and are often) designed to monitor and keep track of who accesses a patient's chart, when they did so and where they "went" in said chart. Systems can also be designed to restrict access to areas based upon clearance. So a person in medical billing may be able to see the information needed to generate a bill, but not access sensitive patient medical records.

Being as all this may far too many violations of HIPAA occur and yes often to the "rich and famous".

Many hospital workers are low paid and thus the temptation that comes from say the National Enquirer or someone else offering sums of money for "information" is real.

Other times the employee is just stupid, dumb, "trying to help", flattered or otherwise gotten to give out information they shouldn't.

27 suspended for Clooney file peek - CNN.com

Hospital Workers Punished for Peeking at Clooney File - The New York Times

https://protogere.wordpress.com/2010...paaviolations/

Celebrities' Medical Records Tempt Hospital Workers To Snoop : Shots - Health News : NPR

A good part of hospital workers are females, so perhaps like Pandora it is a case of just not being able to help themselves. That being said for the record it long as been deemed unprofessional for doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals to discuss a patients private affairs others.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:11 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
It doesn't have anything to do with HIPAA. Before HIPAA, most medical care facilities had their own patient privacy policies. Then, as now, the policy was only as good as the person expected to follow it.

Speeding is against the law, but people speed. It's no difference with gossips.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:33 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with HIPAA. Before HIPAA, most medical care facilities had their own patient privacy policies. Then, as now, the policy was only as good as the person expected to follow it.

Speeding is against the law, but people speed. It's no difference with gossips.

True, but before HIPAA there wasn't any legal/criminal and financial consequences for the person in question (gossip, busybody, someone nosing around where they shouldn't). Nor were there universal precautions taken to safeguard confidential patient records/medical information.

One of those "abandoned/haunted property" explorers posted on his website that while roaming around the grounds of the old Greystone Park mental hospital in New Jersey he came upon boxes of old medical records and patient pictures. There he found those belonging to Woody Guthrie.... Memories of Woody Guthrie - The New York Times

It wasn't just cases of "Chatty Kathy" nurses, but the damage (sometimes severe) to a persons professional career and or personal life that could be inflicted by exposing what was supposed to be confidential medical information.

Abortions, mental illness, out of wedlock pregnancy, attempted suicide, homosexuality, past or ongoing illnesses (not just of person in question but spouse, family, parents), and so forth were all things that could be used against someone.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:45 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Unauthorized leaking of protected health information can bring civil and criminal penalties, depending on the circumstances and severity. So selling protected health information of celebrities would bring criminal charges and HIPAA laws now make it a federal offense.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:46 PM

12,285 posts, read 2,969,609 times
It's probably impossible to trace who leaks information most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities