Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 12:33 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I thought the same thing this morning. Remember these guys from my H.S. days and sitting here realizing they are gone so soon is a big downer.

Temple of the Dog just did some reunion shows recently and sounded great. I was hoping for new music and shows from them. And now it will never be.
I remember a lot of the 80s hair metal bands resenting the grunge/alternative movement when it ended their commercial success saying that the new guys were simply playing a role of angst to sell records.

How wrong they were.

The demons inside every major figure from that era have taken them away from us with the exceptions of Vedder, Cantrell, and Grohl.

The reason that music (grunge/alternative) from the early to mid 90s touched our generation so much was because it was sincere. It was real. Their lives and deaths have shown that. The irony is their music helped so many kids cope with their issues and gave them hope. I know that's what I've been reminiscing about with my fellow Gen X friends today. It sort of re-opens up that wound when we lost Kurt. Of course we were kids then and it's different in adulthood but sad still the same.

Chris said it best: "In my youth I pray to keep"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 01:26 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Isn't that how Michael Hutchence from INXS died?

The first notice I had of this was when someone posted a link to him singing a Prince song and saying "we've lost a great artist" and I'm thinking "Prince died over a year ago" but by chance I Bing-searched his name and sure enough, there is was.

My fondness for him mostly is with respect to "Superunknown" from 1994, that was a fantastic CD and one of my favorites at the time. My favorite song is probably "My Wave," but one of my other favorites: "The Day I Tried to Live," what a haunting title.

If depression is behind this, it really drives home the point of how powerful the disorder can be. It's hard to understand sometimes--I mean, if I had his talent and thus due to the money had the means to live out my days at Hawaii, I can't imagine being depressed. I mean, besides that, the man had a wife so he had people who actually loved HIM for HIM not because he was a rock & roll legend. Truly mind-blowing.
I think that's the story but there was some kind of drama bc he was allegedly fighting with Paula shortly beforehand. Also, Bob Geldof wasn't allowing him to see his child and they were fighting over the phone. Idr all the details but iirc he was distraught immediately before. I'm not sure if he had drug issues before getting with Paula. Idr hearing that when he was with Helena Christensen.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Isn't that how Michael Hutchence from INXS died?

The first notice I had of this was when someone posted a link to him singing a Prince song and saying "we've lost a great artist" and I'm thinking "Prince died over a year ago" but by chance I Bing-searched his name and sure enough, there is was.

My fondness for him mostly is with respect to "Superunknown" from 1994, that was a fantastic CD and one of my favorites at the time. My favorite song is probably "My Wave," but one of my other favorites: "The Day I Tried to Live," what a haunting title.

If depression is behind this, it really drives home the point of how powerful the disorder can be. It's hard to understand sometimes--I mean, if I had his talent and thus due to the money had the means to live out my days at Hawaii, I can't imagine being depressed. I mean, besides that, the man had a wife so he had people who actually loved HIM for HIM not because he was a rock & roll legend. Truly mind-blowing.

Clinical depression is not the same as feeling down because your life isn't going the way you planned.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:43 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

The reason that music (grunge/alternative) from the early to mid 90s touched our generation so much was because it was sincere. It was real. Their lives and deaths have shown that. The irony is their music helped so many kids cope with their issues and gave them hope. I know that's what I've been reminiscing about with my fellow Gen X friends today. It sort of re-opens up that wound when we lost Kurt. Of course we were kids then and it's different in adulthood but sad still the same.

Well said, but I always felt the 90s grunge/alternative, post-Grateful Dead concert touring crowd was overly consumed by drugs, being different and focusing on their problems. Sometimes I think the main thing the bands learned from the original punk rockers was how to take heroin. Hopeless Sid Vicious was the biggest punk hero for them.

Too much naval gazing, wound licking and dropping out. Too many just didn't want the party or the brooding to stop. Not a healthy "movement" in my eyes.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:18 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
I remember a lot of the 80s hair metal bands resenting the grunge/alternative movement when it ended their commercial success saying that the new guys were simply playing a role of angst to sell records.

How wrong they were.

The demons inside every major figure from that era have taken them away from us with the exceptions of Vedder, Cantrell, and Grohl.

Very true and what a great post. Hair metal was largely about partying, fun. Grunge spoke to us who felt like outcasts, (I was a long haired Rock/Metal kid un a High School of people who shunned us)spoke to us who learned how life was not parties on the sunset strip but often depression in a darkened room. The lyrics, style and musicianship delivered this well. This made several albums especially classics that are loved today. I had more then one cassette that got worm out and had to be replaced.

We had industrial music, Rap rock and the vestiges of hair metal still going, and not to discount the great albums of many of these bands there was a real difference. To hear a Pearl Jam or Soundgarden song or even the former genres song announced as "Classic" also speaks to how time really moves fast. And musicians we grew up with passing early reminds us of the frailty of life as well.

This loss was a real jolt to many. Reading it in the bus in the way to work was especially rough for me.

Thanks to Chris, and the others lost for the great memories. The music will play on.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:50 PM

207 posts, read 507,755 times
Absolutely heartbreaking news!! Why so many great singers from the grunge era have to go like this? I just wrote about how incredible it was to see Eddie and Chris sing Hunger Strike together live and then this news comes out days later. First Andrew Wood, then Kurt Cobain, Scott Weiland and now Chris! It's so sad, what must be going through his mind..what a lonely place to be in a hotel room in Detroit. It's total BS. Rest in peace Chris Cornell, it breaks my heart to know that you went like that.. I can't imagine what Eddie must be feeling seeing his peers drop one after another. Their powerful deep music cuts straight to the heart, unfortunately art at this level comes from personal gut wrenching pain. They touched our hearts and will be forever missed and never forgotten. Please be strong EV, I can't take this kind of news.

Last edited by vesperbelle; 05-18-2017 at 06:23 PM..

Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,791,538 times
Rip. Too bad I never got to see him live.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperbelle View Post
Absolutely heartbreaking news!! Why so many great singers from the grunge era have to go like this? I just wrote about how incredible it was to see Eddie and Chris sing Hunger Strike together live and then this news comes out days later. First Andrew Wood, then Kurt Cobain, Scott Weiland and now Chris! It's so sad, what must be going through his mind..what a lonely place to be in a hotel room in Detroit. It's total BS. Rest in peace Chris Cornell, it breaks my heart to know that you went like that.. I can't imagine what Eddie must be feeling seeing his peers drop one after another. Their powerful deep music cuts straight to the heart, unfortunately, art at this level comes from personal gut wrenching pain. They touched our hearts and will be forever missed and never forgotten. Please be strong EV, I can't take this kind of news.
Eddie and Chris were so close. I know Eddie took Layne's death pretty hard too. Vedder will turn to the pen like he always has when his peers have fallen but this one has to be especially tough as these guys aren't young anymore. Chris was nearly twice Kurt's age at the time of his death. You hope age/family settles the demons but often it does not.

What is it about a beautifully creative mind that lends itself to such despair? The Boomers saw it too with Joplin, Morrison, Hendrix, etc.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Rip. Too bad I never got to see him live.
Man, back in the old days it was a helluva show. Soundgarden had a lot of metal fans following them as opposed to say a Pearl Jam or a Nirvana who leaned classic rock/punk.

While grunge was known as sensitive/introspective/pro-woman as a whole a Soundgarden show had the highest levels of pure testosterone among its peers.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:44 PM

207 posts, read 507,755 times
Quote:
Eddie and Chris were so close. I know Eddie took Layne's death pretty hard too. Vedder will turn to the pen like he always has when his peers have fallen but this one has to be especially tough as these guys aren't young anymore. Chris was nearly twice Kurt's age at the time of his death. You hope age/family settles the demons but often it does not.

What is it about a beautifully creative mind that lends itself to such despair? The Boomers saw it too with Joplin, Morrison, Hendrix, etc.
You're right EV will turn to his pen. I wonder what music will come from this. This life we live in can be tough, so tough, just gotta hang on. I wish he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities