Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 01:00 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times

Advertisements

Many moderately successful actors and musicians aren't rich. They also tend to have periods where they need to be at or near a location for work but with hours where there's hardly any work to do. Yes, many would use that time on public social media (or texting), but the more private ones might do otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 03:22 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Celebrities have tried posting and tend to find a brick wall of dis-belief that they are who they say they are. Guessing Twitter might be better for them. Except they can easily be fired or blacklisted for innocent mistakes by those who are curiously militant about the opinions that others have.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:31 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
If I were famous, I would avoid reading about myself like the plague. What has been read cannot be unread. That's what I always think about when people are in here tearing celebrities apart. I try to keep it in mind myself when posting.
There is a certain pop star who’s a close friend of my family, and used to stay at my father’s house sometimes while in town. One night we were hanging out in the living room, when he jumped on a laptop to check his IMDb profile... I asked if he ever read the message boards on his page, and he was like “nah, not worth the aggravation when I can’t respond (b/c nobody would believe it was him) anyway.” But he does lurk on other sites, so I also keep that in mind when I discuss celebs online. They’re people too, and don’t just do “famous stuff” 24/7.

And to answer the OP, I’m not famous myself, but do have a number of well-known family members/friends. I don’t bother mentioning these connections very often, though, for the same reasons of not being believed. I could easily prove the pop star friend through photos (of him with my family over many years), but it’s just not worth the time & effort.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-29-2018 at 01:55 AM..

Old 08-29-2018, 01:47 AM

P.S. I had to laugh when I found a whole thread on his IMDb page (before they killed the message boards), debating over whether or not he smoked... meanwhile I have literally smoked both cigarettes AND pot with the dude, but some of these people were SO convinced he was all “straight edge.” If only they knew, lol.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:56 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
There are posters who claim to know famous people but it often becomes obvious they don't.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:10 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. I had to laugh when I found a whole thread on his IMDb page (before they killed the message boards), debating over whether or not he smoked... meanwhile I have literally smoked both cigarettes AND pot with the dude, but some of these people were SO convinced he was all “straight edge.” If only they knew, lol.

lol.. totally understand. On the IMDB message board for Lucas Black so many were talking about his fake southern accent. The guy lived right up the road from me and I know his mom and all... his accent was/is as real as real can be but so many on there thought they were experts and mentioned all these little tell tale signs that proved it was fake, haha.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
lol.. totally understand. On the IMDB message board for Lucas Black so many were talking about his fake southern accent. The guy lived right up the road from me and I know his mom and all... his accent was/is as real as real can be but so many on there thought they were experts and mentioned all these little tell tale signs that proved it was fake, haha.
Funny but sometimes frustrating, since you really can't say anything to these people - as they'll just say "yeah right" and doubt you actually know them. I've also had to bite my virtual tongue on a few others, like a famous actress I went to high school with who's a total "b-word." That was ~25 years ago, so perhaps she's morphed into a nice person now? But when I knew her, she was insufferable.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:54 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Funny but sometimes frustrating, since you really can't say anything to these people - as they'll just say "yeah right" and doubt you actually know them. I've also had to bite my virtual tongue on a few others, like a famous actress I went to high school with who's a total "b-word." That was ~25 years ago, so perhaps she's morphed into a nice person now? But when I knew her, she was insufferable.

Yep. Know the feeling. Got the T-Shirt, lol.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I used to frequent another site, years ago, and late one night, while posters were talking about a certain subject, a very famous American film star came on to speak. He used his name, with his photo in the top left hand corner. I won't identify him, but he is known worldwide.

He posted a long rant about the subject at hand. I believe it was genuinely him, and he spoke passionately about his beliefs, in a very long post. He posted only that one time, never to be seen again.
If it was about his upcoming movie and how it was going to be better than the previous of the series, then I witnessed this, as well. He connected on FaceTime with someone (maybe a moderator or a long time respected member) to prove it was him.

Is that what you remember? If so, I can't recall the site, but do recall when that happened.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:46 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If it was about his upcoming movie and how it was going to be better than the previous of the series, then I witnessed this, as well. He connected on FaceTime with someone (maybe a moderator or a long time respected member) to prove it was him.

Is that what you remember? If so, I can't recall the site, but do recall when that happened.
It is difficult to say about the subject being discussed, without it being obvious who it was. But, he spoke intelligently, and explained his views in a long post. He didn't discuss his films at all, just talked about his feelings on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities