Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 08:10 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,073 times

Advertisements

This breaks my heart. I love John Witherspoon (AKA Pops)! Whether it be his standup, or playing Ice Cube's father "Pops" in the Friday movies, he always made me laugh. I was actually quoting one of his line's from "Friday After Next" this morning.

Rest in peace Mr. Witherspoon. You will be missed.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ed-77-ice-cube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 10:39 AM

19,407 posts, read 15,231,592 times
I was very sad to hear this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
This breaks my heart. I love John Witherspoon (AKA Pops)! Whether it be his standup, or playing Ice Cube's father "Pops" in the Friday movies, he always made me laugh. I was actually quoting one of his line's from "Friday After Next" this morning.

Rest in peace Mr. Witherspoon. You will be missed.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ed-77-ice-cube
I know, we quote him from Friday all the time, and my SO just did a day or two ago. He will live on in "infamy" in our hearts.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I was very sad to hear this.

I know, we quote him from Friday all the time, and my SO just did a day or two ago. He will live on in "infamy" in our hearts.

It's crazy how life works. This morning, I was singing "put some hot sauce on my burrito babaaaaayyy!" and other quotes from "Next Friday" while getting ready for work. Then I started saying some of the funny lines from him and Uncle Elroy from "Friday After Next." I open up Facebook, and the first thing I see is an article saying he passed away.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:04 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
I got a chance to meet the man a few years ago at a comedy show. He was down to Earth and funny.. and he said Chris Tucker is tripping. lol

RIP.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:30 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,764 times
I just heard him on Joe Rogan's show, talking about the comedy scene in the 1970s. It's especially heartbreaking when someone dies shortly after public appearances.
HBO even greenlit another Boondocks series, but this will obviously cause a change of plans.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:44 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
I saw his act in DC a few weeks ago. He was a master of his craft and a joy to be around. Also a major grinder still being on the road at 77 for 45 weeks a year. Farewell “Pops”, we will put hot sauce on our burritos tonight for you.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I saw his act in DC a few weeks ago. He was a master of his craft and a joy to be around. Also a major grinder still being on the road at 77 for 45 weeks a year. Farewell “Pops”, we will put hot sauce on our burritos tonight for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I got a chance to meet the man a few years ago at a comedy show. He was down to Earth and funny.. and he said Chris Tucker is tripping. lol

RIP.

I envy the both of you. He came to my home state earlier this year and I was out of town that weekend. A few friends saw him and said the same thing you both did. Down to earth, naturally funny, and all around a great guy. So sad to see him post that video on YouTube about his excitement for the new Friday movie. Boondocks is being soft rebooted as well. Shame he won't be in it.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I just heard him on Joe Rogan's show, talking about the comedy scene in the 1970s. It's especially heartbreaking when someone dies shortly after public appearances.
HBO even greenlit another Boondocks series, but this will obviously cause a change of plans.

Yeah he was awesome on that podcast episode. I know, I am wondering the same thing about Boondocks! I wonder what they'll end up doing.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:49 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,283 times
Great replies so far! This man has made me laugh so hard and loud throughout the years. He will be missed. Loved how he flirted with the women in his movies!

Old 11-04-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Great replies so far! This man has made me laugh so hard and loud throughout the years. He will be missed. Loved how he flirted with the women in his movies!

Haha yes, same here! Did you ever see the movie Soul Plane? He's in it and plays a blind guy. The scene where the the woman sits next to him is one of my favorites!

*sniffs the air a few times* "That's some nice perfume! What is that, Victoria don't tell nobody?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities