Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 08:27 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times

Advertisements

I don't start threads very often, but this thought just occurred to me (as it has before). It's hard to come up with keywords to do a search to see if it's come up before. I'm sure it has.

Anyway, I just saw an ad with Christine Baranski in the "The Good Fight." I have no idea what this show is, or what it's about, but my point is, no matter what I see her in, I'm fascinated, or at least interested, in watching her. She has "it." I just like her face, I like her voice, the way she talks... I just love watching her. For no particular reason. It doesn't hurt that she can be wickedly funny.

Anyway, I'm sure others feel the same way about certain choices of theirs. I'm interested in hearing about them. It will probably trigger a bunch more that I have.

Also, it doesn't even have to be someone you like. There are some actors who irritate me to no end, but I will still insist on watching them. That's still an "it" factor to some degree, in my mind. lol

I'm sure it's also a part of why character actors can be so familiar and loved, although I would watch her and others in a starring role any day of the week.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:21 PM

226 posts, read 576,715 times
Well, I'm glad you feel she has an "it" factor, but if she truly did, she honestly would have the evidence backing that up. She would be a "household name" (imo). She's not, though. I had to look her up. (Oh, yes, yes, yes... That neglectful, regretful mother in the 90's "The Birdcage" movie. She is funny -- I'll agree. She has a comical look, imo.)

So, I don't think she truly has an "it" factor, in my book. I'm not a fan. (It reminds me of when people walk/talk like they "got it", but nobody is ever jealous of them. You talk about funny; that personally cracks me up. Truly "having it" and lack of any jealousy don't go together -- ever. Ever.) I'm glad you like her, though.

I had a hard time understanding you at first -- especially that first sentence. But, I think I get what you mean. Interesting question. I'll have to think about it. Hardly anybody truly impresses me, and when somebody finally does, and I bring them up or talk about them, I always find people are jealous of them, given away by their face expression and other cues, acting tricky, weird & negative, and maybe in denial. Go figure...

So, I'm not sure how people will react to my own pick(s).

Last edited by WhiteSandsYucca; 07-27-2019 at 09:37 PM..

Old 07-27-2019, 09:40 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
(I'm kind of a broken record, because he's my standard answer for a lot of similar posts on C-D)

For me, a big part of "it factor" is versatility. And IMO, there are VERY few performers who have the versatility of Hugh Jackman. He's got the acting chops (for both comedic and dramatic), he sings, he dances, he's a true all-around performer. And he just seems like a truly genuinely nice guy. You don't hear stories about him being difficult.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:25 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
(I'm kind of a broken record, because he's my standard answer for a lot of similar posts on C-D)

For me, a big part of "it factor" is versatility. And IMO, there are VERY few performers who have the versatility of Hugh Jackman. He's got the acting chops (for both comedic and dramatic), he sings, he dances, he's a true all-around performer. And he just seems like a truly genuinely nice guy. You don't hear stories about him being difficult.
I should have been more clear. I mean actors who aren't superstars or widely known as having "it." This is a more personal thing. Just how certain performers "hit" you.

But the best thing I like about Hugh Jackman, like you said, is that supposedly he's a really nice guy.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:

You directly answered her question -- just how she asked it. (I'm the one that was confused by her wording, but she says she should have been more clear to you?)

Hmmm. This is getting confusing & strange, like people are being yanked around. How are we supposed to answer this question again??? First it was simply "Who." Now, it's "Who -- but filter it through who is not a 'superstar' and is widely not known as having 'it.'"

O--o-ok.

By the way, I think Hugh Jackman seems a very nice guy and all, even kinda handsome, but he just doesn't "do it" for me. I don't know what it is. He is not fascinating to me at all. He's almost "boring handsome" to me (like some women can be "boring pretty"). Also, a lot of nice-looking and handsome men unfortunately don't have real interesting and hearty personalities, due to being molded by the social dynamics that revolve around them, environments that don't nurture and encourage their own true personality, unspoken rules given to them that they are expected to act a certain suave & polite way -- unlike the loud, stout & bearded "jolly man" in the pub, with his arm around this guy or that guy, a dude that's "every man's friend", who's free to be himself. Maybe that explains it? Maybe he seems "boring nice" to me, or something? It's like I want to say: "Who are you...really?" Don't know. Not putting him down, though.

Last edited by WhiteSandsYucca; 07-27-2019 at 11:10 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 04:46 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSandsYucca View Post
You directly answered her question -- just how she asked it. (I'm the one that was confused by her wording, but she says she should have been more clear to you?)

Hmmm. This is getting confusing & strange, like people are being yanked around. How are we supposed to answer this question again??? First it was simply "Who." Now, it's "Who -- but filter it through who is not a 'superstar' and is widely not known as having 'it.'"

O--o-ok.

By the way, I think Hugh Jackman seems a very nice guy and all, even kinda handsome, but he just doesn't "do it" for me. I don't know what it is. He is not fascinating to me at all. He's almost "boring handsome" to me (like some women can be "boring pretty"). Also, a lot of nice-looking and handsome men unfortunately don't have real interesting and hearty personalities, due to being molded by the social dynamics that revolve around them, environments that don't nurture and encourage their own true personality, unspoken rules given to them that they are expected to act a certain suave & polite way -- unlike the loud, stout & bearded "jolly man" in the pub, with his arm around this guy or that guy, a dude that's "every man's friend", who's free to be himself. Maybe that explains it? Maybe he seems "boring nice" to me, or something? It's like I want to say: "Who are you...really?" Don't know. Not putting him down, though.
Are you just in this thread to sh;t on everything?

Just a few posts in, and this is already the most exhausting thread ever.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:50 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Justin Timberlake. He went from stupid boy band to a classy man. Might be the only celeb I admire...

Old 07-28-2019, 05:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Not exactly superstars:

Holland Taylor
James Spader
Kumail Nanjiani

The Good Fight, on CBS Access, is the spin off from 'The Good Wife', btw.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:22 AM

"Are you just in this thread to sh;t on everything?

Just a few posts in, and this is already the most exhausting thread ever."

No, I'm not. I'm sorry. And, Hugh Jackman: I actually respect the guy. The "boring nice" thing: I almost don't blame him for that aspect. People do help mold that personality. I know of gruff, mean men that so many people just love, support, and "pat on the back." They get by with it just fine -- because people get a kick out of it, or they may feel sorry for the guy. But, if you're handsome and act that mean way, people can instead despise and hate you, they don't get a kick out of it, they don't feel sorry for you -- that's why a lot of handsome men are molded to be really nice (I feel). I don't blame Hugh.

I would say in a comedy, Melisa McCarthy has a definite "it" factor. She's really funny, and her timing is great, imo. She's a household name. Even if the movie has bad writing, her presence/talent helps it out, imo. However, she still seems the "same person" in every movie to me, so I'm not sure how versatile she is. A lot of actors are limited that way, I feel -- even some of the "greats." It's kind of like how a musician's own songs start to kinda sound all the same. A truly versatile actor is rare, imo.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Are you just in this thread to sh;t on everything?

Just a few posts in, and this is already the most exhausting thread ever.

Oh noooooooo! WSY has "it". For the Ignore List.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities