Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:06 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,575 times

Advertisements

Those people who died on 9/11...well ya know, who did they think they were sitting in office buildings and not expecting planes to crash into them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 02:35 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
you must be one of those people that think women deserve to be raped b/c they're wearing skirts and walking home alone
I am not sure I follow your logic here. Are you trying to assert that rape is a natural consequence of wearing skirts and walking home alone? Because accidents, death and lifetime colonoscopy bags are a natural consequence of car accidents. If street racing were involved, then this would be a normal consequence of that decision.

Nobody asks for negative consequences, but they still happen and if you choose to put yourself in a dangerous situation you have to take responsibility for your choice.

Now I have read a few blogs and accounts of this accident and it seems that nobody knows for sure if this was a racing incident or just a stupid accident. It also seems that the injured kid was a passenger in the car and not necessarially an active participant in the driving scenario. Given that possibility, it would seem to me that Nick would be totally responsible for the injuries if the kid was just along for the ride and Nick made all the decisions about how the car was handled. The lack of seatbelt use is dumb and certainly contributed to the severity of the incident, but it does not equal liability or contributory negligence on the kid's part. Nick is still on the hook for the whole deal.

If the kid was driving the other car as someone mentioned, then I would be on board with the equal liability doctrine and chime in with "too bad, so sad". This does not seem to be the case based on what I have been able to find.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:40 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
I don't think he chose to crash.

Even if he was in a separate car, how do you know Nick Hogan didn't cut off that other car or even lifted its air?
If he were in a separate car and chose to race, then he should have been aware of the risks. If not, he was more stupid than the average racer. From what I have been able to find, he was a passenger and not an active participant in any race. He may have not made any choice to be involved in this at all.

Quote:
Those people who died on 9/11...well ya know, who did they think they were sitting in office buildings and not expecting planes to crash into them...
Aside from being an extremely stupid analogy and completely lacking in taste or class, those persons were not engaged in any activity that carried any increased risk from their behavior. Completely different than the scenario you are arguing about where the racers made choices to indulge in behavior that increases specific risks. Only a moron of incomprehensible magnitude would actually believe these scenarios are remotely comparable. Please don't convince me that you actually fit that bill by continuing this line of argument any further.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,227 times
My understanding is that whoever he was racing with, they were doing it light to light. So, even if the victim was a passenger, I'm quite certain he was encouraging it.

Quote:
Let's get this right: You're drawing an equivalency, as did the "rape" example poster, between doing something normal and legal and doing something illegal? Are you trying to argue that a person shouldn't be responsible for the consequences of their actions?

Also, why do you think Hogan is responsible but his friend isn't?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Please stick with the original topic. If the thread becomes off topic or overly argumentative, it will be closed. Thank you.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:33 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times
He should've gotten more time. The young man was almost killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
8 months followed by a few years probation.

The family of the victim was up there crying and blaming Hogan's kid which, he deserves some punishment. However, the dirtball injured chose to race. Why in the world would they be complaining about Hogan's kid? You'd think their kid wasn't involved.

The father said "what al Qaeda couldn't do in a tour, Nick did in minutes." (Or something like that.) My thought: Yeah? Well, your son probably wasn't running around with his rifle pointing at his face with the safety off. (He wasn't wearing a seat belt either.)

What's wrong with these people? The kid asked and he received.

I like it that Hogan's kid is paying a price because he's a dirtbag too. However, I just don't understand why the parents are opening their fly traps.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
He should've gotten more time. The young man was almost killed.
Of you guys that feel that way, I'm asking "Why should the victim be relevant?" He was there by his own free will participating in an illegal activity that is dangerous. I'm not going to sue Colt because I was foolish to be cleaning a loaded gun and shot myself in the foot.

I'm just asking for you explain your beliefs.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Well, he got a jail sentence followed by probation. Seems reasonable to me given that the injured party was involved in the activity and therefore contributed to the incident (and no seatbelt furthering the outcome no doubt).

Had he ran over some kid crossing the street then something like 5+ years would be appropriate.

There are several mitigating factors as to why a longer sentence would be perhaps excessive. Hopefully he learned his lesson and he's probably lucky his pre-adult record was sealed as I think he had several driving infractions.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:35 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times
Because it could have been someone that just happened to be there and not a partaker all together! He made the choice to drive that fast on a busy street without any consideration to everyone else around him. It could have easily been someone's child or any other bystander.

The Associated Press: Hulk Hogan's son sentenced to 8 months for crash (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Of you guys that feel that way, I'm asking "Why should the victim be relevant?" He was there by his own free will participating in an illegal activity that is dangerous. I'm not going to sue Colt because I was foolish to be cleaning a loaded gun and shot myself in the foot.

I'm just asking for you explain your beliefs.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Because it could have been someone that just happened to be there and not a partaker all together! He made the choice to drive that fast on a busy street without any consideration to everyone else around him. It could have easily been someone's child or any other bystander.
That's the reason we have laws that punish you for doing something reckless like drag-racing.

However, that doesn't answer the question "What's the relevance of the supposed victim's injury when he was participating in the recklessness?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities