Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2022, 04:39 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times

Advertisements

Since no one wrote a thread about Robert Clary's passing on November 16, I'll start one. He was on a couple of soaps besides Hogan's Heroes and worked for several charities. He had a hard early life. Je suis vraiment desolee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 06:34 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Since no one wrote a thread about Robert Clary's passing on November 16, I'll start one. He was on a couple of soaps besides Hogan's Heroes and worked for several charities. He had a hard early life. Je suis vraiment desolee.

Another I'm clueless until I saw what he looked like on Hogan's heroes. I guess I know more old timers by face then by name lol

Here's part of his obituary. He is the only one of his family of 14 children who escaped a Nazi death camp. The article below says his parents were immediately killed. Too bad it doesn't give specifics about his siblings.

I've asked a mod to retitle to say he was the last of the Hogan's Heroes actors to die. I think it may help to get others commenting when they see he was on the show in the title.

Apparently he was in three or four soaps, Days of our lives was one of them.

Robert Clary, Corporal LeBeau on ‘Hogan’s Heroes,’ Dies at 96

The French actor and singer spent 31 months in a concentration camp but said he had no reservations about starring in a TV comedy about the Nazis.

Quote:
Robert Clary, the French actor, singer and Holocaust survivor who portrayed Corporal LeBeau on the World War II-set sitcom Hogan’s Heroes, has died. He was 96.

Clary, who was mentored by famed entertainer Eddie Cantor and married one of his five daughters, died Wednesday morning at his home in Los Angeles, his granddaughter Kim Wright told The Hollywood Reporter.

CBS’ Hogan’s Heroes, which aired over six seasons from September 1965 to April 1971, starred Bob Crane as Colonel Robert E. Hogan, an American who led an international group of Allied prisoners of war in a covert operation to defeat the Nazis from inside the Luft Stalag 13 camp.

As the patriotic Cpl. Louis LeBeau, the 5-foot-1 Clary hid in small spaces, dreamed about girls, got along great with the guard dogs and used his expert culinary skills to help the befuddled Nazi Colonel Wilhelm Klink (Werner Klemperer) get out of trouble with his superiors.

Clary was the last surviving member of the show’s original principal cast.

Born Robert Max Widerman in Paris on March 1, 1926, Clary was the youngest of 14 children in a strict Orthodox Jewish family. At age 12, he began singing and performing; one day when he was 16, he and his family were rounded up and sent to Auschwitz.

Clary was incarcerated for 31 months (he worked in a factory making 4,000 wooden shoe heels each day) and tattooed with the identification “A-5714” on his left forearm. He was the only one of his captured family to make it out alive.

Last edited by Roselvr; 11-25-2022 at 06:53 PM..

Old 11-28-2022, 09:07 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Hogan's Hero's is still on Monday thru Friday 9pm.

Had no idea of the colorful past, he had lived.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:43 AM

2,396 posts, read 1,067,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Hogan's Hero's is still on Monday thru Friday 9pm.

Had no idea of the colorful past, he had lived.
Same here....I didn't know he was jewish and a holocaust survivor.

I did know that all the cast who played germans were jewish...

Werner Klemperor.....Col. Klink
John Banner....Sgt. Schultz
Leon Askin....Gen. Burkhalter
Howard Caine ...Maj. Hochstetter

Robert Clary lived a very long life but the longest lived cast member
is still (surprisingly) Leon Askin ....1907-2005 .....
I say surprisingly ...because he looked very overweight ....
though I think he was also "big boned" ...opposite build to
Robert Clary....who was only 5' 1" and very slight,
probably only weighed about 120 lbs at most.

Last edited by GTB365; 11-29-2022 at 06:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities