Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2023, 03:27 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times

Advertisements

Only recall LIS from 1970's television when a kid. Had no idea then they were reruns.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/13/a...dard-dead.html

https://variety.com/2023/tv/obituari...ce-1235755692/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2023, 01:51 PM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
OMG,
I used to watch LIS every day after school in my bedroom, making crafts and things.
The little black & white TV sitting on my bed, and happily cutting out papers and using glue, watching Lost in Space.

Oh, such memories.

Old 10-15-2023, 08:33 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Only recall LIS from 1970's television when a kid. Had no idea then they were reruns.

Cousins of June Lockhart (Dr. Maureen Robinson/the mom) lived down the street from me while I was growing up.

Their house was on three levels and had two family rooms.

They 'dedicated' one of the family rooms to Lost in Space (the decorating).

We watched the series (first run) in that family room.

RIP, Mark.

Old 10-16-2023, 11:30 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:

I didn't realize it was only on for three seasons, a total of 83 episodes from 1965 to 1968. It seemed like it was on more than that.

I was three when they stopped filming it, so I must have caught it during repeats in the 70's. I know I was in school when I saw it. There's no way I'd remember the show if I watched it when I was three.

Quote:

According to the second link in the post above, Bill Mumy spoke to Mark Goddard on his 87th birthday in late July. He says that he became aware that he and Mark would most likely never see or speak with each other again, so his death does not sound unexpected. If that's the case, his family at least was able to make the most of every day they had together.

We knew my dad was terminal, that he would most likely not live much longer than a year. We were very fortunate to have had him for Thanksgiving and Christmas (2005). I made sure they were two of the best holidays he had ever had. We had 8 months with him. He had good days and bad.

Hopefully Mark Goddard had some good days that he and his family had a lot of quality time, leaving nothing unsaid.

Rest in peace Mark.

Old 10-16-2023, 11:56 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I didn't realize it was only on for three seasons, a total of 83 episodes from 1965 to 1968. It seemed like it was on more than that.

I was three when they stopped filming it, so I must have caught it during repeats in the 70's. I know I was in school when I saw it. There's no way I'd remember the show if I watched it when I was three.

According to the second link in the post above, Bill Mumy spoke to Mark Goddard on his 87th birthday in late July. He says that he became aware that he and Mark would most likely never see or speak with each other again, so his death does not sound unexpected. If that's the case, his family at least was able to make the most of every day they had together.

We knew my dad was terminal, that he would most likely not live much longer than a year. We were very fortunate to have had him for Thanksgiving and Christmas (2005). I made sure they were two of the best holidays he had ever had. We had 8 months with him. He had good days and bad.

Hopefully Mark Goddard had some good days that he and his family had a lot of quality time, leaving nothing unsaid.

Rest in peace Mark.
Same with my mom.

She had cancer and they gave her 6 months to 2 years.

We sought to maximize every good minute. She was gone in 7 or so months.

June Lockhart is still alive (which I was aware of before Mark died).

She's 98.

Old 10-17-2023, 06:51 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
One of my many TV crushes in the 60's..."Kiss Judy already, you know she wants you to!"
I love that he and Bill Mumy remained good friends all of these years.

Old 10-17-2023, 06:59 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
One of my friends had a huge crush on "Don." I actually wanted him to wring Dr. Smith's neck as he threatened to do many times. The first season was a real science fiction program, but it degenerated to kiddy camp for the next two seasons. I always wondered how June Lockhart felt about those silly scripts since she was the big name on that show.

At least Billy Mummy turned his life around and is still with us. He seems to have a great sense of humor.

Old 10-17-2023, 02:04 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Always found, because of him, the name "Don" powerful......provided it is "Don"...and not Donald.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
One of my friends had a huge crush on "Don." I actually wanted him to wring Dr. Smith's neck as he threatened to do many times. The first season was a real science fiction program, but it degenerated to kiddy camp for the next two seasons. I always wondered how June Lockhart felt about those silly scripts since she was the big name on that show.

At least Billy Mummy turned his life around and is still with us. He seems to have a great sense of humor.
Think how Guy Williams must have felt when Jonathan Harris stole the show! Still, for that role, it probably strengthened it, it seemed like it, to deal with "Smith".

BUT, for good science fiction at the start, would it have lasted 3 seasons like that?

Back to our star of the moment, saw him on The Rifleman and Blue Sunshine. Further, his credits suggest I may come across him in other shows since I have a lot of those series.

Old 10-18-2023, 10:50 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Mark Goddard also was the villain Ted Clayton on One Life To Live for a few years. Reconciling the evil Ted Clayton with the handsome, wholesome Major West on Lost In Space initially was a tough chore for me as a teenager, LOL. That's why they call it acting ...

Old 10-24-2023, 06:51 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
When I was a kid watching LIS, I had a thing for Mark Goddard. But then I also had a thing for James Stacy, Robert Conrad and Michael Landon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities