Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,387,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
You can bet your bottom dollar that the majority of people who started crying over the death of Michael Jackson, did not shed a single tear when they found out that little 2 year old Caylee Anthony was found dead and wrapped up in duct tape in a wooded area.

Since Caylee Anthony was never in a music video with people dressed as dancing zombies, her death is not considered tragic or important by the masses.
I was definitely sad when I heard about little Caylee Anthony since I'd been following the story since last summer. But before the news broke last June, I never knew about her, while MJ's music has been a huge influence in my life for at least 25 years. I mean you're comparing a person who was a public figure for some 40 years with a child who has been in the news one year (and I'm not even sure if it made international news.)

Two totally different things, in my book. Yes, her death was tragic (and I can't wait to see her mom get tried for it) but the public influence will be greatly different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 10:37 AM

23,880 posts, read 33,609,236 times
Thinking about this topic.. Andy Gibb.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:35 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,977,781 times
President Reagan.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,319,582 times
I can't really remember getting choked up over a celebrity's death. Maybe it has happened and I just forgot. Heath Ledger's death was very shocking for me because of his youth and because he wasn't someone -- like Britney Spears or Lindsey Lohan -- that we'd been watching descend into the abyss. You didn't hear that sort of stuff about him. So for him to die so young, that was unexpected. But I don't think I cried.

I cried BUCKETS when the space shuttle Challenger blew up in 1986. Do they count as celebrities?

I WILL get choked up in response to someone else's emotional display. I'm very susceptible to that sort of thing. You know how yawns are contagious? I can be that way about crying.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,692 times
I waz 2young wen Tupac waz at de peak of hz fame, n also wen he died i ddnt knw wat waz goin on. Im older nw n with more understanding of his life, music n death. I listen 2hz music evry single day, n i cnt help bt cry afterwards. He waz so young, so full of life n so talented. RIP Tupac

Old 12-23-2009, 05:05 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,262,308 times
I cried when Anna Nicole Smith died.
http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/3D%20Smiles%20%2891%29.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-23-2009, 06:52 AM

13,408 posts, read 28,749,831 times
3 times I can remember
John Lennon
JFK Jr
Princess Diana

Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 AM

497 posts, read 1,177,236 times
I wept over Princess Diana. So young, so beautiful, those two young sons who needed her. Such a loss.

I cried over John Lennon. Such a tragic way for him to die and he was such a huge part of my youth. I grew up in the 60's and still clearly recall the first time I heard "I Want to Hold Your Hand." The Beatles changed my life.

I wept over the news that Waler Payton was ill and cried when he died. He was the reason I started loving Football. I was privileged to see the man play many times at Soldier Field. He was a true joy to watch and a fine human being. There will never be another like him.

I wept hard when Ronald Reagan died even through we all knew it was coming. It was the loss of a great, great man. Having lived through the Carter years and knowing the hardships we all faced, and then seeing Reagan take office and bring pride back into American. He was the most amazing President of my generation. I wept that I fear we will never see another like him.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:41 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,556,701 times
I cried when Spanish basketball player Fernando Martín was killed in a car accident... I was a kid and I fancied him a lot heh.

I didn't cry when Jacko (whom I worshipped when I was a kid, too) passed away, but I was sad that day, which is something that doesn't usually happen to me when a celebrity dies.

Heath Ledger's death was shocking and I was very sorry for him, but I only felt especially sad about it when I watched Brokeback Mountain (for the 100th time, and it always makes me sad anyway) that day.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:55 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,478,610 times
John Lennon. We lived on the same block he and Yoko did. We could see see Columbus from our front window. We heard the sirens, (usually ignored in NYC) and saw people running toward the direction of his building. Frankly it was kind of eerie....we went downstairs and heard people yelling and crying. People starting saying "john is dead"..."someone killed John" -- and no one understood why.

My husband, who was a classical musician and a fan of John's, kept saying 'oh my god'....I didn't cry so much as I was so horribly saddened and confused why someone would want to harm him. It just took all the life energy out of you...that's what everyone had in common that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities