Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck
Narcissism (over inflated ego) is a terrible personality flaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Exactly!

I think because of their popularity, many stars (who would not normally attract attractive people) have males or females flinging themselves/underwear/goodies shamelessly at them non-stop. All to often than not, they yield to that temptation.
No. Narcissism is self love. Such people consider any comment or action that is not building them up to be a slight.

I dated a narcissistic woman for a short time. She was a bottled water neurotic and one of the reasons for dumping me was that I drank tap water. Originally, I attributed this to uncontrolled neuroses but I realize now that it was my inability to support her choices - absolutrely. The other 4 reasons she gave were similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 03:32 PM

851 posts, read 3,626,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
TheStupid wrote:

Because someone who has overcome the intense competition to be successful in the entertainment business must have not only talent but the determination and drive to beat the odds and make it happen. So they obviously have it together in that part of their lives and it just seems to me that what they've achieved professionally would be much more difficult than making a marriage work. So it makes me wonder, is this because creative people have certain personality traits that make it even more difficult than the rest of the population to succeed in terms of their relationships and if that's not the problem then what is it?
Talented and determined but doesn't mean they are good at handling relationship or many other things. Beyond their talent and determination and lucky, they are just like any one of us - more than 50% our marriage end up in divorce and more than half of the rest 50% are just suffering through.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Most celebrities are extremely attractive and rich. They are invited to countless parties with tons of booze and drugs. They have tons of people offering them sexual favours, many times more than the average person ever gets in their lifetime. And of the actors and actresses in the leading roles, most films have hot and heavy romances and steamy sex scenes written into them. And it's a fine line between good acting and the real thing.

Of those people criticizing the celebrity lifestyle, most likely they've never had much in way of hordes of fans trying to get into their pants or panties. I think that it's all well and good to discuss what's proper and moral, but it's easy to be moral when there's not that much real temptation in ones day to day life. Shrug.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:58 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
The one part I do understand is when an older celebrity dumps their current spouse for a younger one, not that this is a good quality but they have the opportunity that most older people don't have. What I truly don't understand is why anyone would cheat on their husband or wife or dump them when they're incredibly attractive, talented and have so many good qualities. Maybe TheStupid is right, I guess in the relationships department they must be just as screwed up as the rest of us.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:20 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Its all about them. If you marry one or have a relationship with one, you have to do things their way, its all about their career. Most of your things will come second, It has to be that way for their career to work, its about them. They are pampered, fussed over, given things, privileges and most have to be assured that they are special. You hear a lot of celebrites are bipolar. Most people cant take it, so after a while the celebrity sees that their wife, husband or friend just cant revolve around them, so they dump them. Its all about them. Most celebrities, actors and entertainers are narcissists.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:53 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I agree the temptation is too much for many of them who probably don't take their relationships seriously in the first place. Add to that people also think it is an ego trip to BE WITH a star and you pretty much 'can run' your relationship (unless you are both 'stars.') Then it's a clash of egos.

Addition problems (as stated) with drugs and alcohol and too much money can make them 'jaded' with the average life of marriage.

I totally agree with the person who said that many of these people would not be looked at in 'the real world' if they were not stars. I still wonder how many of them are considered gorgeous or beautiful just because 'the media' tells us so (some are downright ugly not 'stunning').

Old 03-19-2010, 05:18 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,136 times
I always thought it was a time issue, as in how many celeb couples actually spend a lot of time together?

Think about it. If you're a musician, you are touring and performing and are gone all year. Same with a film actor that can be away on location anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months out of a year. Then have you seen any of those documentaries where they follow a star around for a day. They get up at the crack of dawn and run around ALL DAY making appearances, recording, having meetings etc. They are so busy they can barely make one phone call.

I think most celeb couples barely spend but a few weeks out of the year together and when you spend that kind of time apart, its easy to grow apart.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:34 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Miss Crabcakes wrote:
Quote:
I always thought it was a time issue, as in how many celeb couples actually spend a lot of time together?
You may have a point there and as someone else mentioned there are many movies with love scenes which is unlike any other occupation I can think of. That would certainly put temptation right in front of you. It must be pretty sad though when your aging husband actor decides to dump you for someone twenty years younger. That's got to be very painful.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:55 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
I agree with JJ, its just that celeb divorce is heavily reported. I've never seen a tabloid magazine cover feature a couple with the headline, "Five years and still in love!" But when there is a break up after five years, there are 10 magazines speculating about what happened.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:26 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,767 times
To put it extremely simply: they're too selfish. It's two people who are used to getting every single thing they want NOW. Both are expecting and niether are giving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities