Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to weed through all the posts on the various Verizon phones but am really confused on the lingo. After waiting patiently for the iPhone to come to Verizon, which it looks like will not be happening for some time if at all, I have to get a new phone.

Let me start by saying I am not the most technically forward person

I have decided that I want a phone that I can easily cync with computer calendar (which is currently microsoft outlook). Besides the calendar capability something that could be used for checking emails easily and maybe even facebook although that is not mandatory.

I have been looking at the Blackberry Curve which if I understand correctly has it's own network for Verizon and you are always connected to it. So my email would be coming in, in real time and I would always be getting a chime to let me know when it comes in etc. I think I have to use the Blackberry calendar system but heard it is easy to set up on my computer. I don't know if I am understanding all this correctly.

I have also been looking at the Droid and I get confused on this because there are so many versions and I don't really know the big differences between them. It seems on all of them though that to be able to do anything you have to connect up with the internet??? Check emails you have to connect to the internet? etc. Am I understanding this correctly?

I looked at the Palm Pre and did not like it.

Can anyone help me with these phones. Give me the run down? I went to the Verizon store and the wait was looonnnggg all 3 times I went in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 03:58 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
These days any of these phones are going to require the data plan for and extra 29.99 per month, just so you know.

I currently have a Blackberry Storm and in the year I have had it, I've come to feel like I have moved beyond it's capabilities. Email is sent directly to the device, up to ten addresses. It have some neat programs. My favorite is poynt, that will help you find restraunts and businesses near your location. I also have audible audio and Pandora, which streams music. Games aren't very good. It's easy to sync with the computer.

Android is the newest operating system which runs the HTC Incredible, Motorola's Devor and Droid and the upcoming Droid X. Email is also sent to your Android device, but not quite in the same way as Blackberries. I think you also must have a free google email account for the device, but it also sends other email. You can also sync it with your computer. It has many more apps than Blackberry and will continue to add them at a fast pace.

I'm excited about the Droid X and I'll get it at the end of the month.

If you're ready to grow, I'd go with the Android phone that you like best.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Do you know if the Droid is easily synched with computers and if it can be linked to microsoft office by chance?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 PM

It is synched with a USB cable. The user manual tells how: Verizon Motorola droidx_UG AlienBabelTech.com.pdf

Blackberry has a desktop application that it uses to sync.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
blackberry works great for e-mails and it syncs w/ your office programs.

i chose blackberry specifically for those reasons.

as for the internet functionality, i primarily use the web function for checking news headlines, stock tickers and weather. its great for that. i don't see the appeal of trying to conduct all of one's internet activities on a phone. the screens are too small. i tether my BB to a laptop via bluetooth if i'm going to be on for an extended period of time.

it has programs for viewing and editing office documents which is something i use, but only for minor revisions and editing. its not practical for typing a multi-page document.

i have a few calculation apps that i use for work; google maps is an app that i use frequently along with a couple random apps like ebay and another for checking local movie theater show schedules.

i've also replaced my ipod w/ the BB; i can load up to 16GB worth of music but i mostly use the XM radio app w/ headphones.

also my coworkers and i communicate through BB messenger throughout the day.

that's pretty much it for my uses.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
I personally would prefer an Android phone to any Blackberry - I think the operating system is better designed for what you want to do with it. If you are looking for something like an iPhone, then an Android OS phone is going to offer you the closest alternative while remaining with Verizon.

One thing that can get confusing - Android OS is the operating system on smartphones not the iPhone - its the closest thing to an Apple iPhone OS. Its on a bunch of phones, including the Verizon Droid. Basically, every month a new Android OS smartphone (like teh Droid, Incredible, etc) comes out, so you have a pretty good selection of new and recent phones to chose from.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post

also my coworkers and i communicate through BB messenger throughout the day.
He summed it up right there. BB's are still the #1 phone for the business world. Period. nothing comes close. Period. They still have quite a ways to go to be #1 in the consumer market and, in fact, probably never will.

In the consumer market Droid and iPhone are #1 and #2. I won't say which is which because no one can agree on that. hahaha

The Droid works best if you have a Google email account. You don't have to have one but if you want to get apps you need to at least register for one. You don't really need to use it. But it's strength is being paired with a Gmail account.
Emails get pushed in near real time, Calendar synchs with Google calendar.

My favorite current Droid is the keyboard less Incredible. I like it better then the newest "X" model because it is SO small. Personally I prefer a real keyboard so still have, and love, the Moto Droid. The original one.
Synchs with my corporate email, my Gmail email and my Yahoo email very well.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 AM

316 posts, read 784,463 times
Quote:
Let me start by saying I am not the most technically forward person
You may want to wait then for the new Motorola Droid 2, coming out in mid August - This will be similar to first one that came out last November but it will come with a 5 megapixel camera, an 8GB memory card pre-installed on the device, EV-DO Rev A support, a 1GHz processor, Google Maps, 3G Mobile Hotpot and 512MB RAM. I like this one because it has a physical qwerty keyboard and its touchscreen. So if your not used to or don't like typing on glass, this might be a better option for you, and easier to use.

The Blackberry Bold is a pretty good device on Verizon, but the browser and overall UI is very mediocre, Blackberry OS 6 comes out in Sept & you will see some cool looking qwerty/touchscreen RIM units by Christmas.

Good luck -

Old 07-15-2010, 01:23 PM

So I went to Verizon yesterday to look at the phones. Blackberry.....well I really dislliked the keys. SO small. Hard to type on. I do a lot of texting (I have teens and tweens LOL) so this was difficult as I don't have small hands.

The Droids were all down so I could not really see what they did or do anything with them except look at the body style. They are BIG. Out of the 3 they had on the floor I liked the shape and feel of the Incredible the best. Of course that isn't saying much since I could not play around with it and see if I liked it. I did look at another touch screen (I think it was the LG Envy Touch) and well did not like the touch screen at all. I would touch what I thought was the "K" and the "J" would show up. It seemed slightly off. For this reason I am not sure I would love the Droid either since I think they are all touch screen???

Alphajet maybe for this reason the one coming out mid August would be better because if I understand correctly it will have a key board that isn't touch?

I hope my current phone can last that long. They determined that the issues I am having are with the phone and are not really fixable since the phone is going on 3 years old.

I went to lunch with a friend today and she had the Sprint Evo. Made me wish I had Sprint!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I went to lunch with a friend today and she had the Sprint Evo. Made me wish I had Sprint!
Then maybe you will want the Droid X that came out on Verizon today. Same size.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones