Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times

Advertisements

Background

As a user/customer of Verizon, I use a decent amount of data. This month so far I'm at 3.9gig of data. How do I use data
  • almost no tethering
  • Google plus - uploads (biggest driver)
  • google drive, skydrive, etc
  • automaticly update apps, don't care when
  • gallery synch (anytime)
  • Toddler - Netflix

I joined verizon right before they ditched unlimited data. With that in mind I got the best phone available with LTE - the HTC thunderbolt. The damn thing lasted 3hrs max, so I got the extended battery. I also hated HTC sense, so I rooted it and romed it with an AOSP.

Still it wasn't perfect. The rom was a little flaky. It wasn't seamless. I was tired of the phone, but I knew I wasn't paying $800 bucks.

What I wanted
LTE
Google Experience
slimmer/lighter
nice screen
decent used price

what I came too

I ended up on the Galaxy nexus. I was able to secure a grade A condition nexus for about $220. Selling my thunderbolt closes that gap (hopefully in half).

A) The galaxy nexus screen kicks ass
1) I love Jelly Bean
2) It is almost up to date, and I don't have to ROM! Should hopefully get 4.2 by January. . .(bummer not already. .)
3) Battery is still pretty weak I think, may try extended. At least the extended barely changes the size of the phone. My thunderbolt was like 3 iphone 5's on top of each other.

Overall - I think this is a great phone if you want a phone that is nice at a good price (so you can keep your unlimited). Even used iphone 4s (without LTE) are far more expensive than this thing. Just make sure the phone has a clean ESN (i.e not stolen) and you should be right as rain.

Note: if your coming from an older phone (like the thunderbolt) they will need to switch you to a smaller SIM. I read online that you can order the SIM by calling. . .but I went to the store, got the replacement, and wasn't charged a thing. Plus they ran some tests on the phone. Good experience overall.

For unlimited users: I think you will have to look pretty hard to find a better deal right now than a Used Galaxy nexus.

I'm praying that in a year Sprint delivers LTE in Denver that meets my needs . . .Iphone 5s on sprint may be just the ticket if they deliver LTE here. Until then, Galaxy Nexus will hold me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 AM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
Chris,

This is exactly what I decided to do. I just bought a used Nexus off of eBay, which should arrive in a few days. I'm switching to the GNex from the Thunderbolt, which would have been worth a lot more if I hadn't dropped the phone and cracked the screen 2 weeks ago.

I really want a Note 2, but there is no way I can justify paying the full $630+ retail price for that phone. The GNex should tide me over for another year or so.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,675,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Background

As a user/customer of Verizon, I use a decent amount of data. This month so far I'm at 3.9gig of data. How do I use data
  • almost no tethering
  • Google plus - uploads (biggest driver)
  • google drive, skydrive, etc
  • automaticly update apps, don't care when
  • gallery synch (anytime)
  • Toddler - Netflix

I joined verizon right before they ditched unlimited data. With that in mind I got the best phone available with LTE - the HTC thunderbolt. The damn thing lasted 3hrs max, so I got the extended battery. I also hated HTC sense, so I rooted it and romed it with an AOSP.

Still it wasn't perfect. The rom was a little flaky. It wasn't seamless. I was tired of the phone, but I knew I wasn't paying $800 bucks.

What I wanted
LTE
Google Experience
slimmer/lighter
nice screen
decent used price

what I came too

I ended up on the Galaxy nexus. I was able to secure a grade A condition nexus for about $220. Selling my thunderbolt closes that gap (hopefully in half).

A) The galaxy nexus screen kicks ass
1) I love Jelly Bean
2) It is almost up to date, and I don't have to ROM! Should hopefully get 4.2 by January. . .(bummer not already. .)
3) Battery is still pretty weak I think, may try extended. At least the extended barely changes the size of the phone. My thunderbolt was like 3 iphone 5's on top of each other.

Overall - I think this is a great phone if you want a phone that is nice at a good price (so you can keep your unlimited). Even used iphone 4s (without LTE) are far more expensive than this thing. Just make sure the phone has a clean ESN (i.e not stolen) and you should be right as rain.

Note: if your coming from an older phone (like the thunderbolt) they will need to switch you to a smaller SIM. I read online that you can order the SIM by calling. . .but I went to the store, got the replacement, and wasn't charged a thing. Plus they ran some tests on the phone. Good experience overall.

For unlimited users: I think you will have to look pretty hard to find a better deal right now than a Used Galaxy nexus.

I'm praying that in a year Sprint delivers LTE in Denver that meets my needs . . .Iphone 5s on sprint may be just the ticket if they deliver LTE here. Until then, Galaxy Nexus will hold me.
I think the Galaxy Nexus will be the last pure nexus/google phone on verizon. If AOSP is important to you I agree Nexus is the best(only) way to go, however the drawbacks for the nexus are large which include poor call quality(huge), and data dropping which is in general the reputation that Samsung phones have. But used 1 year old phones like the Razr, Rezound, Razr Maxx can all be had in the $200 range so i don't see this as a terrific deal.
But the Nexus certainly isn't a bad phone.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,804 times
I got my Galaxy Nexus last December on the first day that Verizon finally released it. As mentioned above, this will be the last Nexus device released on Verizon as Google has not been pleased with the delays they have caused not only with the initial release of the phone, but also with the very slow update process. There's a big reason they released the Nexus 4 as unlocked, aside from the version that will work on T Mobile.

I would personally be willing to pay a little more for a Nexus vs. other Android phones like the Droid Razr due to the pure Google experience and knowing that the phone will be getting the latest updates. If you're not one to tinker and root, then a Nexus device is the best option for the pure Google experience.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,676,911 times
When I look at the new LG Nexus 4, I like what I see.

It's a shame Verizon won't get it.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I think the Galaxy Nexus will be the last pure nexus/google phone on verizon. If AOSP is important to you I agree Nexus is the best(only) way to go, however the drawbacks for the nexus are large which include poor call quality(huge), and data dropping which is in general the reputation that Samsung phones have. But used 1 year old phones like the Razr, Rezound, Razr Maxx can all be had in the $200 range so i don't see this as a terrific deal.
But the Nexus certainly isn't a bad phone.

I haven't had a issue with call quality, but I don't have a lot of expectations in that department

I'm not sure about the data dropping, everyonce in a while i seem to get a message about not connecting. . .but it hasn't been an issue

. . .but your right, I was going for a pure Google experience. I'm hoping sprint gets LTE fired up here and decent in Denver. I'll drop verizon like a bad apple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones