Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 12:31 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,973 times

Advertisements

looks like iphone is not alone with antenna problems.

Some early DROID 2 units having signal issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 01:43 PM

15 posts, read 33,325 times
nice

Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
I think they're going to find out this is more of a problem with the software and Android 2.2 in the Motorolas rather than a real antennae issue. The reason being is that I bought a Droid 2 a week ago and like many, saw the bars on my phone flux from 2 to 4 to 0, but it did so while sitting on a table, not being held. The calls didn't actually drop - the bars just went up and down constantly. I have heard some folks elsewhere say they think this is a phone software issue. Regardless of how I held it, I did not drop calls, etc.

My particular phone had a ton of other issues, though. The physical keyboard's backlight would only work 50% of the time in dark rooms. The screen would sometimes go black or would show half of the screen on one side and solid black on the other (split screen). The battery seemed to drain for no real reason, losing 20% of the charge within an hour for just sitting around, etc. I basically got a dud.

I took the phone back today and swapped it for another one. This one so far (knock on wood) has no backlight or screen issues or any of those, but the bars still do flux up and down, though I haven't lost any calls. I will say that when you call someone, their voice is loud and reasonably clear, but there is always a very slight hissssss behind their voice, almost like static. It doesn't effect their voice as it's not choppy, and you can still hear them fine, but it's a faint background noise. I think this is a combination of typical network digital garble that some phones are able to cover up, but on the Droid 2, it doesn't cover it up so you hear it. I text and use the web features on my phones more than talk - I rarely use more than 250 minutes a month, so for me the slight background hiss isn't a deal breaker, but if you LIVE on your phone, it might bug you.

Added observations: The 5MP camera is barely passable - if you do a little photoshopping you can make a decent 4x6 print of the pics and/or use them on the web, but that's about it. The video quality is the same - "passable" for computer viewing. Also, one design flaw: Since this is a slider phone, the cases are in two pieces (one for the bottom, one for the top). Well, the new keyboard works great on this version, but, if you put the top case piece on the slider portion, the edges of the case interfere with your typing on the upper row of keys on the keyboard. The slider should have opened 1/8 or so of an inch more to allow for this, but someone boobooed at Motorola. If you peck at a keyboard like me this isn't the end of the world, but if you're a power/speed texter, it will irritate the heck out of you, so you'll only be able to use the bottom part of the case.

Overall I wouldn't give the Droid 2 an "A" grade, but provided there are no bugs I'll probably keep mine. It's more pocketable (though heavier) than the Droid X, build better than the Incredible and does have the "real" keyboard if you can overlook the odd case thing. The screen is good and clear, it's a relatively fast phone, doesn't feel like cheap plastic, etc. Everyone's going to vary on it, but on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a solid 7 or 7.5... (above average to good, but not "wow" great).

UPDATED (8/23/10): Just as an update, the replacement unit I got wound up also being defective. This one also had the "on again off again" keyboard backlight, and started rebooting itself randomly even when I was in the middle of using it (calls, texting, etc). I took this one back and simply got a refund, and will "pass" on it. I don't think these have actual antennae issues - but they apparently have a whole list of other issues, at least with this first bath. End of observation.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-23-2010 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones