Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:03 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
I have a $30 unlimited-4G plan with Verizon. Since existing users are being grandfathered in, I'm not concerned. I'll get to enjoy my 27Mb LTE speeds for a loooooong time.
Tursting soul, aren't ya'???

While it makes sense for Verizon to do this.... huge sense... there is no guarantee it will go on forever.
This is a great idea, though. This way they ensure not ONE current customer will bail for Sprint or someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
We recently got smartphones and renewed our contract with Verizon (Fed plan). At the end of the contract we'll decide which carrier we should go with. We've been with Verizon a long, long time, but if they decide it's okay to screw us over I'm fine with dumping them.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:25 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
While it makes sense for Verizon to do this.... huge sense... there is no guarantee it will go on forever.
Traditionally, all of the carriers grandfather in depreciated plans like this. And really, it makes sense -- despite what the carriers' PR departments what you to believe, they aren't really losing money on the $30 unlimited plan. Rather, market demand is so massive, the carriers can more or less choose whatever they want.

If they were to force existing customers off the $30 / unlimited option (contract renewals notwithstanding, of course), they actually WOULD start losing revenue. Customers would be able to terminate their contracts without penalty (material change in terms), churn would climb, and Sprint would see a decent gain.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
Traditionally, all of the carriers grandfather in depreciated plans like this. And really, it makes sense -- despite what the carriers' PR departments what you to believe, they aren't really losing money on the $30 unlimited plan. Rather, market demand is so massive, the carriers can more or less choose whatever they want.

If they were to force existing customers off the $30 / unlimited option (contract renewals notwithstanding, of course), they actually WOULD start losing revenue. Customers would be able to terminate their contracts without penalty (material change in terms), churn would climb, and Sprint would see a decent gain.
depreciated or deprecated?

But yea, I agree with you that typically in the past grandfathered plans have remained untouched, even through upgrades.

But Sprint recently required everyone to pay $10/month more (on new and old grandfathered plans) for anyone who wants to upgrade their smartphone.

Additionally, Sprint SERO users were forced to upgrade plans to SERO premium when they were upgrading their smartphones.

So it's not completely out of the question that the carrier could somehow force you to make a change at some point.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:50 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
depreciated or deprecated?
Either way works for me. It's way too early to be making decisions on vocabulary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
So it's not completely out of the question that the carrier could somehow force you to make a change at some point.
There will definitely come a day when I lose my unlimited data. For now, though, this announcement doesn't concern me. But since I managed to get my Thunderbolt for free through retention, if they do force a change, I'll lose nothing by switching to Sprint.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:02 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
This is progress? I remember when we paid for calls by usage on land-line phones. Things improved when it changed to unlimited calling. Now they all seem to be going back to pay per usage. It seems like we are going backwards here.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:02 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
This is progress? I remember when we paid for calls by usage on land-line phones. Things improved when it changed to unlimited calling. Now they all seem to be going back to pay per usage. It seems like we are going backwards here.
Companies now are different than they used to be. There are a few still around (like google) who stand up for unlimited access to things that aught to be unlimited.

Greed and money, they're always a volatile mix.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:56 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's a good point.
They give us the technology to use data. Then they make faster phones that consume twice the data on faster networks that they build... but then want to charge us per GB...
weak.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I am locked into Verizon for now, many rural places I go, Verizon is the ONLY one that gets any bars...otherwise I would have gone with Metro PCS. But, yes, if my plan changes when I have to upgrade, or whatever...I will go shopping...forget it.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am locked into Verizon for now, many rural places I go, Verizon is the ONLY one that gets any bars...otherwise I would have gone with Metro PCS. But, yes, if my plan changes when I have to upgrade, or whatever...I will go shopping...forget it.
Sprint roams on Verizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones