Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:23 AM

53,060 posts, read 34,871,357 times

Advertisements

interesting to see how much they had spent on R & D, and the cutting edge products they had which somehow never saw the light of day.

Quote:
More than seven years before Apple Inc. rolled out the iPhone, the Nokia team showed a phone with a color touch screen set above a single button. The device was shown locating a restaurant, playing a racing game and ordering lipstick. In the late 1990s, Nokia secretly developed another alluring product: a tablet computer with a wireless connection and touch screen—all features today of the hot-selling Apple iPad.

"Oh my God," Mr. Nuovo says as he clicks through his old slides. "We had it completely nailed."

Consumers never saw either device. The gadgets were casualties of a corporate culture that lavished funds on research but squandered opportunities to bring the innovations it produced to market.

Nokia's Bad Call on Smartphones - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,298,844 times
Trust me, there is still a TON of this innovation, concepting and patents that are there. They still have some of THE best designers and engineers in the world regardless of stock price or woeful news.

The nail in the coffin for them was ignoring the US market and seeing a one trick PC rival and gadget maker come out of the blue. Apple was a complete wake up call for an industry Nokia helped push. It was theirs to lose and they certainly did that.

Seriously before the iPhone we had Symbian, Windows Mobile, LG Chocolate and Moto RAZR lol. NOK had more money than they knew what to do with. If you look back at their old phones in Europe they really were incredibly designed and engineered. IMHO, some of them in the way future are going to be looked at like some classic vintage cars.

While they might not reach heights again like they did, they are still going to be leader in the mobile space.

You might be surprised at some of the concepting I have seen in this business that never hit the market. Maybe one day.

This is a pretty cool recent example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pwtMrwjFxns

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 07-20-2012 at 11:39 AM..

Old 07-22-2012, 01:54 PM

500 posts, read 574,733 times
Nokia lost because they did not win over the app developers. Their hardware was superb but that won't matter if there are no apps that run on it. When the smartphone market was just blossoming, consumers wouldn't buy one because of what it could do but what it did do. And the phone that had tons of apps doing all the stuff was the iphone.

This is also why only google has been able to break into the market. Back when no one heard of android, they were investing heavily in developer relations. They also addressed every concern that developers had over the iPhone (eg - they let developers completely circumvent them, not having to pay or get approval if they wished). So they basically got all the app developers who did not like Apple. While Google focused on an OS that greatly appealed to developers, Nokia was trying to appeal to consumers with the prettiest phones.

One thought "consumers first, and the developers will follow", while the other thought "developers first, and the consumers will follow".

Last edited by sandlines; 07-22-2012 at 02:05 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 03:16 PM

500 posts, read 574,733 times
I think it's interesting the article linked didn't mention the developer angle I described. They cite corporate bureaucracy and infighting as the reason Nokia failed. They also claim Nokia was too early with their smartphone being years ahead of their time, and then too late, sticking with dumb phones too long. Supposedly Apple just had the perfect timing.

Yeah, right. Nokia has spent 4 times what Apple has on research, but their timing is what killed them? OK. And how do they explain Google's success when they entered far later than either, yet managed to blast through both in market share? That article conveniently doesn't even mention Google when it has the biggest market share.

And RIMM is in big trouble for the same reason. They don't have the multiple OSes or infighting so how does the article explain their demise?

Old 07-22-2012, 03:45 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Nokia's had a whole series of missteps.

They completely failed to penetrate the US market with their smartphones. I had one until a couple years ago, but only because I bought an unlocked one online.

They did a terrible job of attracting developers. Steve Ballmer's sweat-drenched shouting of "Developers! Developers! Developers!" was spot on. No developers means consumers won't care about your OS, no matter how good it is. To some extent this is the same problem RIM ran into - their OS was a giant pain to program for, so people simply didn't. Why bother when you can have a pleasant experience with iOS or Android?

Both companies missed the consumer smartphone emergence. BBOS is a clunky mess and so was what Nokia had at the time iOS and Android came onto the scene. Nokia has at least managed to put together some sort of response to the iOS/Android onslaught, unlike RIM, but they've still got a lot of work cut out for them.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,152,058 times
Some speculate that former Microsoft exec Stephen Elop is completely incompetent. :-)

Communities Dominate Brands: Certain Road to Death and Definition of Insanity (updated)

Stephen Elop Was Dumb To Kill Nokia's Cash Cow So Fast, Says Former Exec - Business Insider

The numbers for Nokia were looking very good until he wrote a particular memo:

Communities Dominate Brands: Calculating the Elop Effect: He's already destroyed a company the size of Oracle, and profits the size of Google

Old 07-23-2012, 07:47 AM

53,060 posts, read 34,871,357 times
wow. thanks for those articles.

'the elop effect,' hmmm?

he sure makes a good case for it.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Those are some of the most bearish outlooks I have seen lol

Although I do think its GROSSLY premature to even talk about yet. Lets see in about 5 years if they are around or not to compare statistics and performance.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,152,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Those are some of the most bearish outlooks I have seen lol

Although I do think its GROSSLY premature to even talk about yet. Lets see in about 5 years if they are around or not to compare statistics and performance.
It's an interesting read if nothing else. The guy does seem to know his stuff, but every expert has an equal and opposite expert so...

Old 07-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It's an interesting read if nothing else. The guy does seem to know his stuff, but every expert has an equal and opposite expert so...
Totally agree! Thanks for sharing the links. Getting info like this, although somewhat long winded provides interesting insight. One sided, but has its points. I was only commenting on the guys like this that hop on the bandwagon of bash when it has been barely a year since trying to change course of the Titanic.

Tomi is a pretty interesting guy, especially considering how much he and many other former NOK employees write about their former in such high regard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones