Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,748,805 times

Advertisements

It does amaze me how people WANT Apple to fail.

I just don't understand that. Love the product or hate it... why would you WANT them to fail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,809,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I just don't understand that. Love the product or hate it... why would you WANT them to fail?
It's like a very popular pro athlete. They become very polarizing; people either love you or hate you. Look at Tiger Woods. He has a very large and loyal fan base and also a good sized base of fans that hate him and love when he fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Seriously the Galaxy S3 OS is very different from the iPhone, the previous S2 perhaps had some subtle similarity with IPhone..

But the S3 is completley different..
The Samsung Galaxy SII and SIII, both run Android as their OS. The SII has Android 2.3 Gingerbread, and the SIII has Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Samsung, like every other manufacturer, puts their own skin or twist, on the OS to help differentiate it from competitors. In most cases, these skins are annoying, obtrusive and do not always provide a good Android experience.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:09 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,113,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I have no faith in how the government handles technology patents.
Neither do I, but I've been reading post-trial comments by various jurors, I'm relatively aware of the technical issues involved, and I know a company like Samsung isn't going to sit back and let this go without appeal.

The US justice system is very slow. Sometimes you never get a satisfactory result. But in this case, I think we have more chapters ahead.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I personally don't want Apple to fail. I've been a fan of Apple since I first used a Mac in 1985, and I love some of their products. Heck, I'm an iPhone user, and I have a Mac IIci at home that I still fire up from time to time for a good game of Glypha III or Pararena.

However... Apple, as a company, is still perfectly capable of competing in the market on their own merit. They should be doing that instead of crapping all over their competition in court. If it's true that their products are threatened by something more capable, they should respond by creating a better product.

I also have some rather serious problems with the specific legal issues (mainly patent issues) in this case, since such things impact me both professionally and personally as a person who plays with code for a living and as a hobby.

Just like the stupidity in the Oracle case (suing Google for a $$BILLION$$ over a little 9-line bounds-checking routine written by the same author as the original and a virtual machine which has zero architectural similarity to a JVM? Really?), the patent elements in this case simply don't stand up to technical scrutiny. The patents were granted, sure, but prior art is all over the place, and most of that prior art never made it into the hands of the jury because of alleged procedural issues.

The judge is (seemingly) somewhat biased, given the transcripts and docs I've read thusfar, and Apple is very good at playing the press, but not all of the people interested in (and reporting on) the case are falling for it. It's possibly Samsung will eat the cost and simply change their product lines to not infringe, but Apple's real target is Google. Remember, it's Android that most of these devices are running, and Jobs vowed to go all nuclear over it before he passed away. I personally think there was little basis for that, especially given Apple's own past history, but I'm sure his influence lives on, and Samsung is only the first in a line of potential targets.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:18 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,238,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
It's like a very popular pro athlete. They become very polarizing; people either love you or hate you. Look at Tiger Woods. He has a very large and loyal fan base and also a good sized base of fans that hate him and love when he fails.

The Samsung Galaxy SII and SIII, both run Android as their OS. The SII has Android 2.3 Gingerbread, and the SIII has Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Samsung, like every other manufacturer, puts their own skin or twist, on the OS to help differentiate it from competitors. In most cases, these skins are annoying, obtrusive and do not always provide a good Android experience.
Tell me something i don't know..

The new Android 4.0 doesn't even resemble the IOS, the Android 4.0 is the superior operating system and coupled with the S3 hardware it is a superior user experience in comparison to Iphone & IOS..

THe previous Android software in S2 had some subtle resemblence to the IOS, but as i mentioned the new 4.0 used in the S3 is completley different..

Old 08-29-2012, 06:20 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,238,062 times
Quote:

Just like how Apple wants Android/Google & Samsung to fail..

Old 08-30-2012, 12:02 AM

Hee hee...

Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full of 5 Cents Coins - Paperblog

Okay, it's not a real story, but it would be interesting.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Tell me something i don't know..

The new Android 4.0 doesn't even resemble the IOS, the Android 4.0 is the superior operating system and coupled with the S3 hardware it is a superior user experience in comparison to Iphone & IOS..

THe previous Android software in S2 had some subtle resemblence to the IOS, but as i mentioned the new 4.0 used in the S3 is completley different..
There's more to user experience than hardware and OS. The s3 is a nice phone, but it's just not onpar with user experience. It appears that you're just pushing your opinion rather than performing user experience studies. Jessica Myerson, PHD (CMU) has a great deal of data in this space. Look her up on ACM.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:44 AM

43,361 posts, read 77,251,084 times

Apple kills Star Trek - YouTube

Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,682,569 times
Quote:

There are alot of reasons to want Apple to fail. One of them(and the most compelling), is that Apple has expressed a desire to cripple Android(and has taken steps to litigate to this effect). Since Android users prefer Android to Apple obviously they don't want that to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones