Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the best platform (OS) for smartphones today?
Android 18 58.06%
iOS 7 22.58%
Windows Phone 7 / 8 1 3.23%
Blackberry 3 9.68%
Symbian 0 0%
Meego 1 3.23%
Windows CE Mobile (any version) 0 0%
PalmOS 0 0%
Other 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
IIRC you had one particular model of phone that did this to you repeatedly, that doesn't indicate that all other Android phones have this problem.

No. what I said was my problems with my own phone led me to look into this. What I learned is it is not uncommon with android phones according to people who deal with hundreds of phones.

http://www.time4learning.com/reading...prehension.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Not a fact, as a Software Engineer I can tell you there is a thing called "software rot"...look it up.

Software can degrade overtime due to many factors, mostly the environment (OS,Internet, plug ins) , build up of errors, the technology being channeled through without being rewritten, but also in physical memory management, fragmentation etc.
Or, you can go to your local phone store and ask them how many phones they get returned because they smiply stop working or go crazy after 3 - 6 months. It is not a ton, but enough they are aware there is a problem. They do not ask any quesiotns, you show them what it is doing and they give you a new phone. Ask them why and they will tell you they know this happens from time to time.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:44 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No. what I said was my problems with my own phone led me to look into this. What I learned is it is not uncommon with android phones according to people who deal with hundreds of phones.

Reading Comprehension Learning Tools - Time4Learning
What is this kindergarten?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 AM

354 posts, read 517,968 times
+1 point for my samsung s2 just downloaded a samsung smart tv app remote control and it works flawlessly with my sis smart tv which is also a samsung. i tried to install the tv remote app to all phones in the house but it tells u if the device isn't compatible. so far my other samsung phone isn't compatible so is my niece's HTC phone.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:45 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
I love my Blackberry because I use a phone for making calls and texting, and it does a stellar job of both. For other stuff, I use my tablet which has an Android OS. I really don't do anything on my tablet other than read books and surf the net. Most Apps are just a total waste of time, as far as I am concerned.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-02-2012, 02:03 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
I voted for Android and the reason why I voted for Android is because of its customizability plus each update is physically refreshing unlike iOS which has looked the same for the past five years since its inception. Another OS I do like is Windows phone 8 OS which has these tiles similar to Androids widgets that display information. These types of widgets and apps that display information are a huge plus because information about that app or info being shown without ever opening the app. For example on Android and WP8 you can see what your friends are posting on FB without ever opening up the app, you cant never do that on iOS. Another big OS that is coming out next month is BlackBerry 10 which might be similar to Android and WP8. The only thing about iOS is that it is very intuitive and stable however it looks old, its great for women and old people. When I look at the screen of an old iphone and an iphone5 I can not tell the difference, the os looks the damn same. When I look at Android Cupcake and then take a look at JellyBean I can see a huge difference. I gotta say Android and wp8 is the future. Also note Palm OS is no more, HP bought Palm some years ago and HP turned Palm into a Disaster. Palm is nothing more then a relic of the previous decade. MeeGO was created by Nokia and Intel, I don't know what Nokia was doing with this, Nokia should have stuck with Symbiam and now they are with Windows. I hope Microsoft can save Nokia.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:30 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I voted for Android and the reason why I voted for Android is because of its customizability plus each update is physically refreshing unlike iOS which has looked the same for the past five years since its inception. Another OS I do like is Windows phone 8 OS which has these tiles similar to Androids widgets that display information. These types of widgets and apps that display information are a huge plus because information about that app or info being shown without ever opening the app. For example on Android and WP8 you can see what your friends are posting on FB without ever opening up the app, you cant never do that on iOS. Another big OS that is coming out next month is BlackBerry 10 which might be similar to Android and WP8. The only thing about iOS is that it is very intuitive and stable however it looks old, its great for women and old people. When I look at the screen of an old iphone and an iphone5 I can not tell the difference, the os looks the damn same. When I look at Android Cupcake and then take a look at JellyBean I can see a huge difference. I gotta say Android and wp8 is the future. Also note Palm OS is no more, HP bought Palm some years ago and HP turned Palm into a Disaster. Palm is nothing more then a relic of the previous decade. MeeGO was created by Nokia and Intel, I don't know what Nokia was doing with this, Nokia should have stuck with Symbiam and now they are with Windows. I hope Microsoft can save Nokia.
I agree, widgets are awesome.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I agree, widgets are awesome.
Widgets and tiles are the future. If I was Apple i would be looking into making some sort of widget or tiles similar to Android and Windows phone 8. Even Blackberry 10 will use some sort of widgets. Apple better get with the game plan.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Or, you can go to your local phone store and ask them how many phones they get returned because they smiply stop working or go crazy after 3 - 6 months. It is not a ton, but enough they are aware there is a problem. They do not ask any quesiotns, you show them what it is doing and they give you a new phone. Ask them why and they will tell you they know this happens from time to time.
Well I, similar to your BIL, support the phones in my office. It's about a 60-40 split between iOS and Android. I've seen just about every QUALITY Android phone that has come out.
The Motorola Droid 1 (the first real Android phone) is the ONLY Android phone I know of or have ever heard about with an issue called "Phantom Touches". Yes, it exhibits symptoms of what you call "going berserk". It looks like someone is actually running the phone. It even happened on mine and Motorola replace it, as you said, with NO questions asked.
I have never heard of this happening, or seen it, on any other Android device, including Motorola's newer ones.

The only problem with Android is fragmentation and cheap ass phones and tablets putting a blemish on the system. Someone buys an Android tablet for $69 from Coby or Pandigital. It's still on 2.3 Android. Thing breaks in a month. So they think Android is crap. Well... you get what you pay for. Since Android is a free and open source OS anyone is free to do whatever they want with it. So some companies take an old version and throw it on some crappy hardware....
Or someone gets the *Free* LG ANdroid phone that Verizon sells.... again... you get what you pay for. Those cheap or free NEW Android phones (I am saying NEW because once a quality phone gets older you might find a good deal on one) are usually crap...

I am NOT a fanboi. I like all technology. I like Apple. And Microsoft. Android is the best for someone that prefers to tweak their phone. That likes customization. Like me.
Apple and now Microsoft don't let you customize much at all.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 AM

I have been through 15 or 16 droid phones in just over three years. Not all were due to software problems, but more than half. I am not alone. Our little verizon booth people ship them out by the half dozen at times.

I have had those problems with Droid 1 and Droid 2 and whatever I have now. Others had it with droid 4, incredible, some other new android phone (echo or soemthing like that) and with the Samsung S III. On anoter CD thread at least one person reports having similar problems with S III. Verizon's people said yes they have gotten a few returend for these peoblems, but no where near the numbers of the droids. Things seesm to be getting better. But is appears they are not resolved.

BIL said Android's primary problem is simple locking up which requires shut down and restart. A few people have the going berserk problem. Still they chose Android after trying Android Apple and some system I have never heard of. They used blackberry for a while but their users did not like the phones. They offer Apple phones as an option, but encourage people to use Android.

At our firm we are simply told to stay away from motorola.

I am in a holding pattern of not choosing. S III appeals to me, but repots of the same problems as Droid phones makes me want ot wait for somehting better. I really love how well Windows phones work with outlook. That is a huge deal to me. But Bing, and other limitations keep me away from them. Apple is stable and eas to use, but it does not do much. The VR does nto work all that well by comparison to android and windows phones (I use VR a lot). Plus both windows and apple have no good navigtion - which i use constantly - unless you pay $10 a month for Verizon navigvation.

I was really shocked this weekend when I discovered our AT&T family phones which were spupposed to be $10 additional each, are currently costing us around $45 a month each (over and above the very expensive main account that all of these $10 phone piggyback on. With 5 accounts, that is expensive. Of course on paper it is still $10 a month for thos phones, but with add ons etcetera, it costs $45 a month. That is absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones