Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 04:32 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times

Advertisements

Hi

Thought I'd make a thread for us to share any tips you have using a ANDROID Smart Phone.
Some tricks that most are not aware of.
To help each other out here

I have a Moto X

Make it work better
Special features
Task Killing
Etc
Etc
Etc

And I will start....
None to share
That's why I made this thread

I know there is more to my phone that I can utilize
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:00 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
hi there I have an android too.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
hi there I have an android too.
Know any good tricks up your sleeve

I'm not to savy on all of that.
And I hear people talking how you can do this and that with their phones.

The stuff that's not obvious.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Rule #1, don't use task killers, memory managers, etc. All they do is decrease battery life. Android is more than capable of managing it's own resources.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:33 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Tip#1: Thoroughly go through the settings. Every single one. Click on everything. There is a lot of stuff you can change in there. You can't "break it". Don't be afraid to experiment and change stuff.
Guy I work with was taking about getting new glasses. Time for readers because he was tired of always looking under his glasses to see his phone well.
"Did you try setting the font to LARGE or HUGE?"
"You can do that?"
"Sure can"

He never got the readers and is enjoying his HUGE font.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Rule #1, don't use task killers, memory managers, etc. All they do is decrease battery life. Android is more than capable of managing it's own resources.

I'm glad you mentioned that.
I was wondering about that.

Although, I go in manually from time to time and force close out the ones that seem to frequently turn back on automatically and eat away at my data usage.
Such as Maps, Play store, gmail,

Any other way around that?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I'm glad you mentioned that.
I was wondering about that.

Although, I go in manually from time to time and force close out the ones that seem to frequently turn back on automatically and eat away at my data usage.
Such as Maps, Play store, gmail,

Any other way around that?
Even doing that is pointless as the process will have to start on it's own again, which is where the reduced battery life comes in. Stopping a service that will just have to restart gains nothing. If you don't use the apps at all you can permanently disable them.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Even doing that is pointless as the process will have to start on it's own again, which is where the reduced battery life comes in. Stopping a service that will just have to restart gains nothing. If you don't use the apps at all you can permanently disable them.
OK.
Thanks

Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Default Samsung Galaxy s5

I'd like to know if there's an easier way to make a dang phone call?! Having to go into the phone app, then hit buttons in different spots on the phone, at least four times every time, is ridiculous! LOL

Old 10-30-2014, 10:41 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'd like to know if there's an easier way to make a dang phone call?! Having to go into the phone app, then hit buttons in different spots on the phone, at least four times every time, is ridiculous! LOL
well if you're being serious, you could add shortcuts to frequent contacts on one of your home screens, then you just tap their icon and call them that way. You could also use google now "hey google, call X person"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones