Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 04:26 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times

Advertisements

I thought making applications for commercial sale would be pretty difficult, but I recently finished putting my own website online. (I didn't use HTML to program from scratch, though. I cheated and used a template, and of course I'm paying for hosting. ) Maybe I'm missing out on a couple of extra bucks by making myself think that this is so difficult. What am I really looking at as far as cost and labor?

I was thinking about making a system of automated flashcards to help students review important information. Yeah, I know. This has probably been done hundreds of times, but maybe there is still a market for it. How long would it take me to program something like that? What would I have to go through to get it on Amazon and Apple's virtual shelf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 05:04 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
You'd need the Android and iOS developer tools. Both are free, but for iOS you'll need a computer running OS X.

To actually publish, Apple charges $99/year (helps keep the "flash card" app submissions to a minimum).

How long to program? Maybe an afternoon per platform. You'd need to spend a lot more time on it if you wanted to have a product someone might actually download. You'd need to spend even more time on it if you expect them go pay you money.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You'd need the Android and iOS developer tools. Both are free, but for iOS you'll need a computer running OS X.

To actually publish, Apple charges $99/year (helps keep the "flash card" app submissions to a minimum).

How long to program? Maybe an afternoon per platform. You'd need to spend a lot more time on it if you wanted to have a product someone might actually download. You'd need to spend even more time on it if you expect them go pay you money.
Okay, how much more time? Could I have some concrete examples? I'm new to programming and know it can be time consuming labor, but it is sometimes rewarding, and, as I'm finding out, there are often ways to make it much easier to end up with a quality product. It sounds like a fun project. Could I use basic HTML and then somehow convert that to OS X? What would the process be specifically?

If people would respond to a game more readily, what would the process of creating that be?

Old 12-27-2014, 07:18 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Okay, how much more time? Could I have some concrete examples? I'm new to programming and know it can be time consuming labor, but it is sometimes rewarding, and, as I'm finding out, there are often ways to make it much easier to end up with a quality product. It sounds like a fun project. Could I use basic HTML and then somehow convert that to OS X? What would the process be specifically?

If people would respond to a game more readily, what would the process of creating that be?
Honestly I'd find some tutorials online and see if it's even something you're interested in doing.

This is not a trivial task.

As for creating a game, that depends on what you're trying to accomplish. 2D? 3D? Cross platform? You could look into something like Unity. If you're not concerned with cross platform, Apple's own tools are very easy to get started with. You could work through something like this tetris clone to get your feet wet.

Generally speaking no you can't just slap together some HTML and wrap it up in an app. Apple strongly discourages that and will quite possibly reject your app. They want people to use the platform's features (kind of funny since originally they were telling everything to just write HTML/JS).

Old 12-27-2014, 10:49 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Spoiler
I thought making applications for commercial sale would be pretty difficult, but I recently finished putting my own website online. (I didn't use HTML to program from scratch, though. I cheated and used a template, and of course I'm paying for hosting. ) Maybe I'm missing out on a couple of extra bucks by making myself think that this is so difficult. What am I really looking at as far as cost and labor?

I was thinking about making a system of automated flashcards to help students review important information. Yeah, I know. This has probably been done hundreds of times, but maybe there is still a market for it. How long would it take me to program something like that? What would I have to go through to get it on Amazon and Apple's virtual shelf?
kmb501, I'm glad to see you pursuing something of interest to you. And although someone may have done something of this nature before you, it doesn't mean they've done a better job (or not). When I browse the web looking for information I'll go through an entire page of search engine results. I'll look at and read info from each of those links. I do this because I'm not going to settle for one person's presentation. I do this because I want to be informed. The internet is going to change every day. There will always be new developers, there will always be developers moving on to something else.

Be that new developer today. Everybody has got to start some where. Get your experience, grow, and move on. Thanks for your interest in making the web a better place. Good luck...

Old 12-28-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
kmb501, I'm glad to see you pursuing something of interest to you. And although someone may have done something of this nature before you, it doesn't mean they've done a better job (or not). When I browse the web looking for information I'll go through an entire page of search engine results. I'll look at and read info from each of those links. I do this because I'm not going to settle for one person's presentation. I do this because I want to be informed. The internet is going to change every day. There will always be new developers, there will always be developers moving on to something else.

Be that new developer today. Everybody has got to start some where. Get your experience, grow, and move on. Thanks for your interest in making the web a better place. Good luck...
Thanks for the encouragement. I really do want to get involved in programming and think I can bring something worthwhile to the table.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Honestly I'd find some tutorials online and see if it's even something you're interested in doing.

This is not a trivial task.

As for creating a game, that depends on what you're trying to accomplish. 2D? 3D? Cross platform? You could look into something like Unity. If you're not concerned with cross platform, Apple's own tools are very easy to get started with. You could work through something like this tetris clone to get your feet wet.

Generally speaking no you can't just slap together some HTML and wrap it up in an app. Apple strongly discourages that and will quite possibly reject your app. They want people to use the platform's features (kind of funny since originally they were telling everything to just write HTML/JS).
Thanks for the link. I think I definitely check that out. It looks very interesting.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:47 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,764 times
Do you want to make it as a website or a stand alone program ?

Old 01-01-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Do you want to make it as a website or a stand alone program ?
I'm open to experimenting with both, but I was thinking about a mobile app I could sell in the Amazon or iTunes store.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:07 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,764 times
Download Visual Studio express, sites like Lynda.com have tutorials
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones