Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:50 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
As much of a zombie as smartphones apparently cause people to be when they're glued to them, if someone has the sense to be able to operate one of these, they should at least have the sense to know when it's not appropriate to be fooling with them (while driving, when someone is trying to have a conversation with them, during a family dinner, etc.).

Like many things, there's a tendency for the etiquette in using the technology to lag way behind the technology itself. And then, like so many things, once this gets way, way out of hand there's an over-correction of inappropriate behavior with all kinds of zero tolerance laws and policies. I'm just waiting to see what the breaking point for smart phones is going to be.

Don't disagree with that. Texting and driving is extremely dangerous, and there are many instances where it's just plain rude to be on the phone, on a date, at a family dinner, in mid conversation with someone, etc. But there are many times you're by yourself and not talking to anyone anyways, waiting in line at the bank, the grocery store, on the train, on the buss, in the cab, in the waiting room, etc.

It's averaged that human beings will spend over 2 years of their entire life waiting in lines, now while waiting in lines we have something to occupy ourselves with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:28 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
In line?

I used to do math in my head, ponder philosophical questions, talk to people in line around me, come up with new ideas...but, hey. Angry birds.

*eyesroll*

Old 01-30-2015, 09:29 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Don't disagree with that. Texting and driving is extremely dangerous, and there are many instances where it's just plain rude to be on the phone, on a date, at a family dinner, in mid conversation with someone, etc. But there are many times you're by yourself and not talking to anyone anyways, waiting in line at the bank, the grocery store, on the train, on the buss, in the cab, in the waiting room, etc.

It's averaged that human beings will spend over 2 years of their entire life waiting in lines, now while waiting in lines we have something to occupy ourselves with
I was trying to think of a good example of when a blanket restriction against smartphones would be an overkill and if there were a policy against smart phone use while standing in line and that would be a good example. As long as people aren't using them in line to make calls to talk about embarrassing medical issues or relationship drama- that's still not cool.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

It's averaged that human beings will spend over 2 years of their entire life waiting in lines, now while waiting in lines we have something to occupy ourselves with.
Our while having a cell phone strapped to your face 90 percent of your life you could get something accomplished. Our city has recently outlawed hand held cell phones in any automobile while driving. Even Bluetooth and other hands free devices will not greatly diminish the number of accidents caused by cell phone conversations while driving.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:47 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We were waiting for you.
I am in my 30s.
I think phones are amazing tools.
I also think people who are faceplanted into them are amazing tools.
Think of how we could have all been blessed with a cell phone at birth. It's a pity all that we've missed.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:59 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Think of how we could have all been blessed with a cell phone at birth. It's a pity all that we've missed.
And the reverse, all stuff we would have missed while being pre-occupied by that damn phone.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:01 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
I finally gave up my landline and got a Pay As You Go phone. I talk to mother (as seldom as I can manage it) and to a friend or two. That's it. Ninety percent of the time I never take the phone with me when I go somewhere. I know there's a lot you can do on them, but what, exactly? Internet? I'd far rather be at home accessing the internet with my large monitor and watching movies on that. As my friend once pointed out, the screen on a modern phone isn't as big as one of the lens of my glasses. I can't imagine trying to see anything on it. And I rarely text anyone. So any phone that does more than make phone calls is pretty much wasted on me.

I'm over 50, but I don't think it has anything to do with the technology. I love computers and I've learned more about them than a lot of people have. I click on every button I can find to see what it does and I'm just glad there's a system restore. LOL I'm the same way with my phone and I would be the same if I got a fancy cell phone too. It's just that I don't have a need for one. Maybe if I had to use it for work it would be different.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:02 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
What's the deal with people being GLUED to smart phones?

At work, at grocery stores, etc.....people cannot look away from that screen. What are they looking at?

Please tell me it's not Facebook and Instagram.

I'm not insulting anyone I'm just trying to get a perspective.

What is it about smart phones that keeps people stuck on them?

Yes, I have a smart phone. I only carry it when I leave home and I never take it out unless someone texts/calls me.

What am I missing?
Not everyone keeps themselves entertained with their phone and I know I don't. Mine is currently on silent so unless I happen to be looking at the phone I don't even hear it ring or a text or email come in.

We are checking ours more often right now though because we have one grandson in the hospital and my Mother going into surgery.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:35 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgqaCPX3-MM

Old 01-31-2015, 07:35 AM

15,433 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If Smart Phones are so darn smart then why can't they prevent people using them from running into other people?
Smart phones, dumb people. The blame for that goes to dumb people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones