Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 12:35 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times

Advertisements

A pointless product looking for a non existent market!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 12:50 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
This is Apple’sforay into the LUXURY watch/jewelry market. Once again, they’re shaking things up in an existing market – luxury watches. Market disruption.

They’re not out to replace Casio/Timex/Armitron and the cheap watches. Low profit margin in that. Not Apple’s style.

They’re not even targeting the midrange market. No, they’re shooting for the more expensive market. The luxury watch makers are already paying attention. Compete or lose your market.

Think back to when Apple first entered the music player market. They received similar criticism: …..crap this, crap that ….. overpriced, etc….

Same story here. Apple is laughing all the way to the bank. And the Android market will follow their leada nd get into this market too. There’s money to be made.

Jason F and Peregrine, among others, are right.
No it's not, not even close. This is Apple trying to compete with wearables. If this was Apple trying to make a luxury watch I think everyone would concede that they are failing.

Luxury watches are finely crafted mechanical pieces of precisioned art that will not become obsolete as technology improves. The Apple watch? Not so much. Vacheron-Constantin and Breguet have nothing to worry about.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:46 PM

922 posts, read 1,149,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You call it a flop but have no actual evidence to support such a claim.

The huge drop off after first day sales is entirely normal. Initial sales are, from what we can gather, better than both the original iPhone and the original iPad. Estimates put it at around 5 million watches in the first quarter. For comparison, the iPhone did about 1 million and the iPad did about 3 million in their first quarter.

Other companies would love to have such a "flop." Products don't fail just because you personally would like to see them fail. Do you understand how ridiculous it is for you to try to spin a huge launch day into a negative?

You know, I've been accused of being a Honda fanboy because of how much I rave about their products. I have owned and currently own several Hondas and am very happy with them. But when Honda introduced the "Accord Crosstour" I gave it a negative review because I could not imagine anyone wanting such an ugly bloated car with a huge a$$ that gets awful fuel economy. I knew it would be a huge flop. Well guess what, after years of embarrassing sales number, Honda finally discontinued it.

You see, that's how I feel about the Apple Watch. I dare anyone here to prove that they are a bigger Apple fanboy than me. I have owned every Apple product from iPhone, iPad to computers since the 1980s so I'm not some random hater who wants Apple to fail. I just hate this Watch that's all (just like I hated the Crosstour): it serves no useful purpose whatsoever. If it were a stand alone device that makes calls and surfs the web without the need for an iphone then I'd be the first in line to buy it. But as it stands, it's merely a $400 iphone accessory. There's nothing proprietary about it. So there's a difference between wanting something to fail and knowing something will fail.

The fact that over 90% of iPhone owners have rejected the Watch alone proves that it is a flop.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:00 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
And now the numbers are in and the "other products" category jumped 870 million over the same quarter last year (up 36.57%). Yes, what a flop.

Keep in mind that in Q2 2015, "other products" revenue actually declined 10% YoY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow
The fact that over 90% of iPhone owners have rejected the Watch alone proves that it is a flop.
This is a completely baseless statement. Didn't purchase in first quarter of availability of first release of product != rejection.

Your desperation to spin good into bad in showing. You embrace numbers you like, ignore those you don't, and somehow feel that your dislike for an ugly, failed Honda gives you some brilliant insight.

We get it, you don't like the watch in its current form. But your personal dislike is not actually enough to make it a failure.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
And now the numbers are in and the "other products" category jumped 870 million over the same quarter last year (up 36.57%). Yes, what a flop.

Keep in mind that in Q2 2015, "other products" revenue actually declined 10% YoY.
This is a completely baseless statement. Didn't purchase in first quarter of availability of first release of product != rejection.

Your desperation to spin good into bad in showing. You embrace numbers you like, ignore those you don't, and somehow feel that your dislike for an ugly, failed Honda gives you some brilliant insight.

We get it, you don't like the watch in its current form. But your personal dislike is not actually enough to make it a failure.

You do realize the "other products" also includes such successful products as the iPod, Beats headphone, Apple TV, app store, etc? The jump could have little to do with the Watch.

What's funny is you keep claiming that I am "spinning" everything..... yet here you are falling for the spins that Cook is doing. If the Watch is sooooo successful why won't he let it stand on its own and release the figures? Why is he being so secretive? It's not like he's shy or humble because he's the same guy who often brags about one day sales figures for the iPhone and iPad.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:03 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
You do realize the "other products" also includes such successful products as the iPod, Beats headphone, Apple TV, app store, etc? The jump could have little to do with the Watch.

What's funny is you keep claiming that I am "spinning" everything..... yet here you are falling for the spins that Cook is doing. If the Watch is sooooo successful why won't he let it stand on its own and release the figures? Why is he being so secretive? It's not like he's shy or humble because he's the same guy who often brags about one day sales figures for the iPhone and iPad.
Or the iPod. Who the hecks buy iPods these days?

Old 07-21-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Or the iPod. Who the hecks buy iPods these days?

Apple sold over 14 million iPods in 2014. That's more than the Watch.

LOL.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:20 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
You do realize the "other products" also includes such successful products as the iPod, Beats headphone, Apple TV, app store, etc? The jump could have little to do with the Watch
Do realize that the iPod, Beats, Apple TV, etc all were around prior to this quarter. Do you understand the category had actually been shrinking YoY?

But yes, obviously a massive uptick in sales of established products is what's responsible for the huge revenue growth and not the introduction of a new product that isn't anywhere close to being the flop you want to be.

You bought into the click bait headline without bothering to consider what the numbers actually meant. It fit what you wanted to be true so you just went with it, and throughout this thread you've ignored and dismissed the overwhelming evidence that you're just wrong.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Do realize that the iPod, Beats, Apple TV, etc all were around prior to this quarter. Do you understand the category had actually been shrinking YoY?

But yes, obviously a massive uptick in sales of established products is what's responsible for the huge revenue growth and not the introduction of a new product that isn't anywhere close to being the flop you want to be.

You bought into the click air headline without bothering to consider what the numbers actually meant. It fit what you wanted to be true so you just went with it, and throughout this thread you've ignored and dismissed the overwhelming evidence that you're just wrong.

Yeah, I'm sure the Watch was the sole reason for the $870M bump. Do you even understand how many Watches Apple needs to sell to reach that figure?

Had Apple sold 5 Million Watches on launch day, would Cook be as coy and secretive? Of course not. He'd be shouting it from the rooftops to make sure everyone knows, including Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. It was Steve who predicted the Watch would fail so you really think Cook would pass up a chance to stick it to Steve and all the doubters?

There's only one reason why Cook isn't releasing the sales figures. Even you could figure it out.... eventually.

Funny how Apple stocks just fell 7%.

LOL

Old 07-21-2015, 05:57 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure the Watch was the sole reason for the $870M bump. Do you even understand how many Watches Apple needs to sell to reach that figure?
Around 2 million, give or take. We don't know the average selling price exactly but it should be somewhere between a low end sport and say the Milanese loop that sells for $699.

So yes, it's entirely plausible that the entire YoY gain (and then some - remember "other" actually shrank in Q2) is from the Apple Watch. No need for five million opening day sales or whatever ridiculous metric you'll dream up next to try to call it a flop.

You're just wishing for failure but can't cite a single bit of actual evidence to support it. Even the "evidence" you started the thread with doesn't support what you wish to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones