Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 12:55 PM

3,533 posts, read 6,545,937 times

Advertisements

Last night I ran speed tests for cellular data (not wifi) and got varying download results ranging from 3M to 8M. The tests were run a few minutes apart, at the same physical place. Would you expect that to happen?

Also, what does the Ping number tell you? (It's an Ookla speed test app.)

I had a problem last night (ATT wireless near L.A.) where most web pages were abnormally slow most of the time but occasionally would be normal. It switched between slow and normal every few minutes. What would cause that? The bars on my phone looked normal, like 3-5 bars like usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 01:30 PM

What would it mean in general, if your bars and speed tests were normal, but the downloads were abnormally slow?

I can only guess it means something is wrong with my browser, or with the ISP.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,564,756 times
No mystery with the variation with speeds. Depends how many people are using the tower in question. When I live (vacation land) my local ATT tower runs at 10-12megs during the week. Come the weekend and vacationers the speed can drop as low as 1meg.

And your number of bars has no relation to data speed, but rather phone call signal strength. At home my bar strength is the same, regardless of data speed. I hope that helps.

Not sure what the ping thing means. Had fast ping and crap speeds and fast ping with good speed, however longer pings seem to always have slow data speed.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:10 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
ping = how long it takes to contact a remote computer and get a reply back

You could have high transfer speeds accompanied with high ping, e.g. satellite internet routinely hits around half a second, making it unusable for things like online gaming, but that same connection might be just fine for downloading large files.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:52 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,259,406 times
ping time and speed may also be different if you do not have a strong, full and consistent signal, in the location you do the speed test...

Old 04-10-2016, 01:48 PM

Detail: when my phone browser is slow, I can use the Gmail or Facebook apps and they're fast. But don't the apps work with data the same way as the browser?

I even loaded a second browser. Same slowness problem. I also asked the people in the ATT store and they don't know of any problems.

Wifi is also fast as usual.

I've been using cell data in the same place physically for years. Only now there is a slowdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones