Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 11:06 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times

Advertisements

I have a Samsung Note 4 and it was recently updated to Android v 6.0.1
A check on the latest version shows that it actually should be v 7 (Nougat)

Wife has Samsung S3 and that is on version 4.0 something.
Yet when checking for software update, it says it is up to date.

Any body can shed light on the why of this situation ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 04:29 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Yet when checking for software update, it says it is up to date.
your ability to update may be limited by the maker of your device. In general, the newer, high-end smartphones made by well-known companies are more likely to offer the ability to upgrade Android than the low-end devices made by lesser known companies.

My phone is very inexpensive and I always get "No Update available" even though I am still on Android version 4.4

When I look at the website for Samsung, it says the latest Note 4 update available for most versions is 6.01
The program to update the S3 has been canceled.

Official Samsung Android Updates - Firmwares
Galaxy S3 Canceled !
Galaxy Note 4 Marshmallow 6.0.1

Old 12-10-2016, 05:23 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
To expand on what PacoMartin has already said .....

When Google releases a new version of Android, they can't just give it to everyone. Each phone manufacturer has made changes to Android to make it a bit unique on their devices, and they also need to add drivers and make minor adjustments so that it will run on a particular phone.

On top of that, often times the carrier has added or removed features and have their own apps that they want added, so they have to get involved in each release as well.

So in order for you to get an update, both the manufacturer and the carrier have to decide to do the work to prepare the update, and then make it available. Most don't bother once a phone gets a year or two old, and the really low end phones often never get any updates.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:31 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I have a Samsung Note 4 and it was recently updated to Android v 6.0.1
A check on the latest version shows that it actually should be v 7 (Nougat)
A check where? Nougat is the latest Android version, but that doesn't mean you're going to get it. I would be very surprised that a phone from 2014 would get an official Nougat update.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:55 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
OK, got it, guys.
I understand the principle behind it.
Thanks so much.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:59 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,817 times
Want a update phone, get a nexus 5x-6p or pixel.. Those phones will always get updated first and consitantly for 4 years after release. My nexus 6 got nugat and that was the last update it will get due to age, google will stop updating that phone after next year.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:34 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Want a update phone, get a nexus 5x-6p or pixel.. Those phones will always get updated first and consitantly for 4 years after release. My nexus 6 got nugat and that was the last update it will get due to age, google will stop updating that phone after next year.
It's actually two years, not four.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en

Security updates are three years or 18 months after Google stopped selling the device.

This is old but still relevant:

the understatement: Android Orphans: Visualizing a Sad History of Support

Many Android devices never run a current Android version. To get support, you need Qualcomm, the device manufacturer, and the service provider to get on board. None of those companies are strongly motivated to deliver updates - they'd rather you just buy a new device.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:09 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
aosp ?

Old 12-13-2016, 09:00 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,189 times
Only 2 years for Android updates and only 3 years or 18 months for security updates? That's it?
I was just about to jump to Android with the Pixel.
I think I'll just stick with the iPhone then.
Thanks for the info.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:38 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
I have a Nexus 6 and got Android 7 (Nougat) a few days ago. I think it is a 2015 model. I have noticed a bit of lagging but we'll see if it's actually the OS that's the problem. I do see some enhancements but nothing earth shaking. Side by side multitasking is one of the supposedly major enhancements. Even with a 6" screen, it's still a phone. It's not like I can do that much with two tiny windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones