Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 11:47 AM

383 posts, read 343,293 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone! Searching for a cheaper plan for my mom, who talks little, i came across with this one https://store.tpo.com/
It seems to be quite tempting for my purposes. Nevertheless i can not figure out how it works.
Ok, i buy a sim and activate it. Then how am i supposed to do a payment? how can i swith on an autopay (where i have to bind my CC)? how can i check the amount of available sms/data?
Also i can`t make out how they`re gonna send the sim card to me - either by mail or by delivery service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 04:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,393 times
Default Be very, very careful with TPO Mobile

TPO Mobile is a company you probably shouldn't trust.

It is a company that is losing money fast:
https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/new...les-floperator

It's a company that botched migration to 4G network:
https://www.cable.co.uk/news/tpo-mob...aos-700001620/

And, furthermore, while they say that they will donate 10% of each customer's bill to charity, their financial reports show that only 3.9% is actually being disbursed to causes.

So, if you want to try out a phone with a company that will probably be bankrupt soon, doesn't know what it's doing, and lies to customers about the supposed "good" that it's doing, give it a spin.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:15 AM

Well, my risk is only 20$ a month (sim cards are sent for free). As i know they have only prepaid plans, so if is some problems, i`ll throw a sim into recycle bin..
Anyway thank you for warning!

Old 03-02-2017, 07:31 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,337 times
Similar situation for us - wanted to give elderly mother a phone, just in case. She "didn't" use the phone much. Note the past tense.

We had a used Android phone for her to use. We added another line ($10 / month on T-Mobile) to our family plan (Unlimited talk and text). T-Mobile set up the phone and didn't even charge us for the sim card for being loyal customers.

My mom then learned and became proficient in texting and calling. But hardly a dent on our family plan. We also installed the free Viber App on her phone. Since she has cable wifi at her home, she can text/chat on Viber for free. She just learned how to Video call on Viber. By the way, for local and international calling and texting/chatting on Viber. Of course, we've warned her to only use Viber on wifi. Never cellular. I set her phone up that way, just in case. (Viber = cellular off).

Old 03-02-2017, 11:23 AM

Similar situation for us - wanted to give elderly mother a phone, just in case. She "didn't" use the phone much. Note the past tense.
I suppose now she talks A LOT since viber has been installed? Unfortunatelly my mom never takes up using contemporary technology. I hardly persuade her to use a smartfone instead nokia 3310 (or smth like this). Therefore viber/watsup is not for her. In addition we are only two of us so buying a T-mobile family plan doesn`t worth it - two lines 40+30$ as in TPO 26+16$
I can`t figure out one thing written on TPO web site - TPO donate 10% to the charity but nowhere written what exactly this organizations is! I guess making a donate is just a cause to be a competitive on market.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,393 times
Default Be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
I can`t figure out one thing written on TPO web site - TPO donate 10% to the charity but nowhere written what exactly this organizations is! I guess making a donate is just a cause to be a competitive on market.
Be cautious about what TPO Mobile claims it does. They like to repeatedly say that "10% of each customer's bill" will go to a charity or cause that the customer selects. But if you actually look at their legally-required semi-annual financial reporting, in actuality only 3.9% of revenue is being disbursed to charity. Also, any time the press has asked TPO for information about the ratio of money received by the top 4 directors of the wireless firm versus the money granted to charity, they are so embarrassed by the question they either delete the posted question or refuse to acknowledge it as relevant.

Sorry, but if you're paying your directors about 12 times more than you're paying the charities that are supposed to be the "good" that your company is supposed to be doing, the shareholders and the customers deserve to know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones